Rapido 7086

Basil on tour

Can you say how you became aware of the damp? Did it show up on a damp check, is there visible mold, has the internal finish begun peeling or become spongy to the touch, etc?

I'm a little puzzled, because the 7086f is a low profile model, so does not have a Luton body.

Are you perhaps referring to the front corners of the over-cab profiled moulding? If so, have you checked for any leakage around high level front marker lights?

You are correct, it is a low profile.and it is the area above the cab tecnicaly not a Luton. The corners show signs of damp or condensation, the material is not soft or damaged and it is possible to clean the area. I have checked the eater all light also the roof and both look ok to me.

I assume you spotted moisture, or possibly mold, in the corners above the shelf over the cab? They do look as though they won't naturally ventilate that well, and it is possible the insulation is part missing or thin in these places, so I'd guess condensation is quite likely. The over-cab fairing is exposed top, bottom and sides in these areas, so will suffer considerable heat loss.

Has this developed while the van is in use, or after it has stood parked for a while?

If during use, it may be a matter of increasing ventilation when cooking or showering. If while standing, I wonder if a low wattage heat source near the front might be the best remedy. An oil filled rad somewhere near the front seats should circulate warm air into the area to counter the cold spots that will, inevitably, attract condensation.

It may also help to remove as much of the soft furnishings as possile from the van over the winter, so that there is little left inside that can store moisture.

We had the same problem on our Rapido 7090F last winter, waiting to see what happens this year !

We found that we had a leak on the rear rooflight, so added to a damp atmoshere, Just to prove that a damp atmoshere travels !

As Brian has rightly surmised, we also had a leak on one of the top marker lights. Proved by a drip onto the navigator's knees on a left hand bend !

Also we had a lot of junk (maps, books etc) in the bins in the front of the cab.

So it was a generally damp atmosphere with very little air circulating around the front of the cab.

This year we (hopefully) are leak free, keeping an eye on the humidity reading, moved all the junk into boxes for a quick load back to the correct storage area when we use the m/home.

The leaks were traced with a proffesional damp meter (Ultra sound ?) which shows damp in the insulation board. My Draper 2 pin meter reacted to the condensation on the board, and gave a wet reading around the top of the cab trim over the windscreen.

My advice would be get a humidity meter and note the humidity, if possible dry the interiuor out with de humidifier, and see how quickly the humidity increases. Its a bit subjective but I found that, after running a dehumidifier for a few hours, it takes about 2 days for the humidity to reach the same as exterior readings.

I think in common with most well insulated m/homes that the interior can get cold and remains so until we get a nice warmish day, so check that all is well. This lets in a blast of moist air which condenses on the cold surfaces, and into the foam of the upholstery, Having checked all is well, we close the door and the condensation is trapped in the m/home until next time.

Rgds

Archived