New shape Fiat cab

A W

[QUOTE]howardtcz - 2006-09-28 10:28 PM Have a look on page 211 of last months mmm. Absolute magic.[/QUOTE]When I say last months I mean this months as this months was posted last month and i,m still waiting for next months which should have reached me this month and seeing as i,m the only one hasn,t recieved this months I hearby lodge a formal complaint.

Recieved my MMM a couple of days ago. Regards the new shape Fiat /Peugeot when I first saw it I could not beleive they had designed such a ugly front, but as I see more and more pictures of it and the conversions grafted on to it I am begining to like it ! I think by the time I come to change my Peugeot I will have no problem with it. Chas

Dave You ain't seen the neighbour's boxer ... she looks like she is contantly being surprised and has a chin like Popeye!!! Ah-ha ... that's it ... that's what the new Fiat looks like - Popeye, squinty little eyes and a big chin with graphics on the sides instead of tattoos!!! :-D :-D :-> :->

Hello All, Just been thinking about this myself, so far IMO the best looking ones i have seen have been either panel vans, take the Adria Twin on the new van I think it looks gorgeous like a small 'A'class, or some of the lowlines, the Swift and the new Ace ranges for instance, but every overcab I have seen so far just does not look right, I reserve judgement on the new Autocruise as that looks as if it might look right but as they are only advertising full frontal views so far I will wait to see other angles. But look at the red Burstener overcab in Chelstons advert page 16 I think it looks hideous as do all other overcabs that I have seen so far. This suggests to me that the convertors need to look at the design of what they are attaching to the chassis to make it more complimentary. Bas

I think most people will agree that the new shape models look really good Basil and for my mind they are the best i,ve seen for a long time. The problems with overcab vans is that the designers have to put function before style and I doubt if we will ever see any of these that are truly pleasing to the eye. Howard.

I accept what you say Howard, its just that I cannot recall on previous chassis any that I thought looked really bad. Yes certainly some compromises such as perhaps a little to much height to the roof line at the front on some, but mostly acceptable, but the overcabs that I have seen so far IMO look hideous and just do not fit in with the chassis design. I am glad I won't be buying one for at least a couple of years if what you are saying is correct. Might just be tempted to downsize to that Adria Twin though, great picture in this months CC mag on page 59! Bas.

Perhaps we put to much emphasis on style Bas, and I for one would far prefer something that does the job it was intended for well, rather than just look good. Funny you mentioning the Adria Twin. Not sure where I read the article but really impressed and one for the future perhaps.

Apart from the cosmetics, we must not forget all the other improvments that have been made to the mechanics and safty features, compared to the previous models. Do we really choose a marque by its outward appearance alone. Chas

No I don't think I would choose on looks alone, most modern vehicles have little to choose between them as regards safety and equipment, but I for one could not drive round in something that I could not stand to look at. Thats half of what puts the smile on your face. You know its right when you have to have a glance back at it as you walk away or small boys stand and point with open mouths. I would hate to think that some band of do gooders or thought thugs would have us all doing the same thing and driving, or more likely not driving, a clone of what they thought was how it should be, instead of what appeals irrespective of cost, size or how much fuel it burns

I must be one of the few who actually like the look of the new Sevel and actually prefer the look of the Low Profiles and 'C' class offerings to some of th'A' class offerings. At the Dusseldorf show the new 'A' class Euro mobile looked decidedly odd. I have just read the ProMobile mag (German equivalent of MMM) where one reader described the new Sevel as looking like Donald Duck! All I can say is that in a years time when the rally fields are flooded with the new design the old ones are going to look dated! :-S

We stayed with friends over the weekend and they where enthusing over their new 'van. They had all the brochures of last years model and until they admitted that it hadn't been built yet we agreed. Of course it will have the new 'bug eyed cab' I suggested. They went quiet and the only plus point they had to say about it was that the chassis is lower, so the steps won't be as bad as the current model. My view of the new cab was that; All second hand 'vans would find owners straight away, and that Ford would take the motorhome market lead. After reading this thread, perhaps there are a few admirers.

Archived