Calais Tolls

qwark

We are taking our first French motorhome trip in June 2015., via ferry to Calais. Tried to follow route to Montreuil sur mer on Google earth street view, hope its a bit easier in real life with the signage to A16/E402

Also where is the toll start, do we take a ticket or what ? I assume we pay our dues on leaving road at junction 26. Anybody know how much?

Ta for any advice

Tom and Brenda

qwark - 2014-11-24 7:57 AM

We are taking our first French motorhome trip in June 2015., via ferry to Calais. Tried to follow route to Montreuil sur mer on Google earth street view, hope its a bit easier in real life with the signage to A16/E402

Also where is the toll start, do we take a ticket or what ? I assume we pay our dues on leaving road at junction 26. Anybody know how much?

Ta for any advice

Tom and Brenda

If you're going to Monteuil-sur-Mer (Fontaine des Clercs?) , it's very easy to avoid the tolls completely by taking to the (easy) D roads on the outskirts of Boulogne. The autoroute is toll free and easy to follow as far as J29 (where we normally exit), from which you can follow the (easy) D901 all the way to Montreuil.

You normally take a ticket on entrance and pay on exit on French Autoroutes, the tolls between points can normally be calculated by entering your route at:

http://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

...and your vehicle (unless over 3m high or more than two axles) is likely to be Class 2. (for which I make the toll €4.50 for the route you describe).

It is very easy to get on to the A16 (just follow the signs and keep your speed down), which is free as far as Boulogne, where you can get off if you want to and follow the coast road. I prefer to stay on. When you get to the toll there is a ticket machine on the right, well signposted so easy to move over to. This is probably the only RHD ticket machine on the network!

Make a note of the exit number you require and you pay as you leave. I have a Bip and Go toll payment account so I can just drive out. If the booth is unmanned look carefully at the toll charge window BEFORE paying so it necessary you can use the telephone. Just saying "Classe deux si vous plait" should elicit the desired result. Depending on the size of your van you may be entitled to Classe 2 charge. All charges increase in February but it should not cost you more than €11 at the most, probably less much less. At unmanned booths it is best to have a credit card to pay with.

I assume you are staying at the Montreuil sur mer campsite which is very convenient for the town. However be careful if your motorhome is over 3m high, because if I remember correctly, part of the campsite is accessed via an arch in a stone wall with a nominal 3m clearance. There are are plenty other spaces - its worth being aware!

Montrieul has a good Aire, which we used last September after a late afternoon ferry crossing, to get clear of Calais. level gravel, with a borne should you need it and a (free) modern public toilet. Relatively easy to get to from the D901 but the entrance is via a side street turning which is a little narrow. Plenty of space in September.

A Satnav, in conjunction with a good map, makes life much easier, on our TT enter the desination and on calculating route it will note if any tolls and ask if you want to avoid them, then it's check the route to make sure it's not done anything stupid.

Normally we do not like paying French motorway tolls, but we do make an exception in Bolougne. The old road avoiding all the tolls takes you down a long hill into the outskirts of Bolougne, then up again to the top, adding 20 - 30 minutes to your journey. So we treat ourselves just to the first junction on the toll, which takes you over a spectacular viaduct in under 5 minutes. If you come off there you can rejoin the old N1 (now D907?) which is an easy journey onto Montreil and Abbeville.

terryW - 2014-11-25 5:56 PM

If I want to find out how much a toll is I use the Michelin Route Planner site.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes

By entering my route I not only get another opinion of the best route but info on potential black spots, as well as the toll fee.

What vehicle do you put in to get class 2 or 3? All the options seem to give class 1 toll.

Add a caravan that will give class 2 but I think the difference is plus 50%. I break my journey down into sections, some places I use toll roads normally to get me past cities in other areas I avoid them. Michelin helps me make an informed choice

derek500 - 2014-11-25 10:52 PM

What vehicle do you put in to get class 2 or 3? All the options seem to give class 1 toll.

The autoroutes.fr link I posted above also uses ViaMichelin for its directions, but is relatively simple to adjust vehicle class.

For Class 2 select Car+Caravan (as above).

For Class 3 or 4 select two or three axle truck respectively.

Archived