Motorhoming in 2030?

Brock

Give say 5 years for truck technology to come down to van level, and we drivers may have more time to spend on forums as we tootle along behind another van at a safe distance although I wonder what we will be discussing

Mercedes Benz reckons it can get a driverless truck into production by 2016 but it won't be allowed. Most of the technology exists but legislation across the EU will take years to sort out as will getting all this new technology to talk to each other. MB's best guess is that by 2025, trucks will be able to go from A - B without driver intervention. However, a driver will still be required for overtaking and 'just in case' as society will demand someone in the cab.

The truck will only need lights so that vehicles not fitted with the system will see it. Radar sensors will scan 250m ahead of the truck at an angle of 18 degrees plus 130 degrees over the first 70m. The 'driver' will be watched to ensure s/he is wearing a seatbelt and will have to remain in the seat whilst the vehicle is in motion. However, the driver will be able to swivel the seat and do other tasks on a dedicated table.

Within the next few years, traditional wing mirrors will disappear and be replaced by cameras. Internal screens, probably on the let and right side of the cab and in front of the driver, will show what is going on around the vehicle.

Volvo Truck's I-See combines the I-Shift auto box with GPS and cruise control. It reads the road using data gathered from others trucks that have used the same road. It can then determine the best way for the truck to negotiate the terrain based on the truck's weight and size. Bit more complex than my Comfort-matic.

http://www.volvotrucks.com/trucks/uk-market/en-gb/trucks/volvo-fh-series/key-features/Pages/i-see.aspx

My first motorhome was Talbot based - no turbo but a magic wand for the gear lever. My final one might not need me ...

Given the questionable reliability of the electronics already in use perish the thought of it getting even more complex.

I can't ever see me voluntarily opting for no mirrors and a camera to see behind - if it ain't broke why fix it and mirrors have worked just fine for over 100 years!

However, to be able to plonk it in cruise control and let the van guide itself, maintain safe distance and set speed where possible does have an appeal on a long haul to the Spanish Med coast!

Also having recently become a convert to modern efficient automatics like CVT or DSG and it's variants that too has it's appeal!

My first motorhome was Bedford CA with a column change 3 speed box where moving the lever was a bit of a lottery whether you found any gear let alone the right one!

There have been talks of 'robotised' transport for years,aircraft fly mostly on autopilot,however they always still have a human pilot just in case of system failure.It will be much harder for road transport because of our crowded roads plus cyclists and pedestrians who can be unpredictable at times. The result of a collision or a death due to electronic failure plus resulting litigation will keep humans 'liable' for the foreseeable future. Ray

There have been talks of 'robotised' transport for years,aircraft fly mostly on autopilot,however they always still have a human pilot just in case of system failure.It will be much harder for road transport because of our crowded roads plus cyclists and pedestrians who can be unpredictable at times. The result of a collision or a death due to electronic failure plus resulting litigation will keep humans 'liable' for the foreseeable future. Ray

Can't agree on the cameras Richard. With respect, have you experienced the quality of the images these days?

In the 2 years at BMW, I constantly marvelled at the astonishing accuracy and quality of both camera and distance sensors.

Ok I concede that BMW is a very premium brand with prices to match but like anything else, these things filter down eventually to us mere mortals.

Martyn

malc d - 2014-11-28 10:45 AM

Sadly still no sign of a stairlift to save us all the effort of climbing all the way up into the cab.

:-(

...well..since I was a kid, I've been waiting for them get around to putting Captain Scarlet's SPV into production...and if they'd pull their fingers out, it may address that issue Malc.

...that and muddy pitches. (lol)

(..having said that, I dare say the headroom would be somewhat limited..)

SPV.thumb.jpg.1510992e2453a751c5b5af7c323cb68f.jpg

Tony Jones - 2014-12-01 8:45 PM

Don't ever remember anyone cooking, sleeping or showering in a Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle pepe.

..well...it did go out before the watershed, so back then they wouldn't have shown you the last two anyway Tony .. ;-)

Besides that, those Spectrums chaps, always struck me as the Secret Escapes and Warner Leisure types.. (lol)

pepe63 - 2014-12-01 9:24 PM

Tony Jones - 2014-12-01 8:45 PM

Don't ever remember anyone cooking, sleeping or showering in a Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle pepe.

..well...it did go out before the watershed, so back then they wouldn't have shown you the last two anyway Tony .. ;-)

Besides that, those Spectrums chaps, always struck me as the Secret Escapes and Warner Leisure types.. (lol)

Nah, Warners are too keen on posh campsites - you wouldn't catch Captain Scarlet pitching his SPV right way round against the peg!

(Edit - or 6 metres away from the next SPV!)

Archived