Recommended spares for X250

Sydney1

Having seen the posting on the fuel pump leak with the Fiat Ducato and reference to carrying a spare fuel filter, I wondered if anyone (Nick again?) had a list of spare parts it's worth us x250 owners having to hand in the event of an emergency.

I'm thinking of specifics like the fuel filter rather than tools and things like cable ties and duct tape

Thanks

Hello,

The plastic fuel filter housings are normally only a problem shortly after the lid has been off for filter element replacement. I have never had any problems with them at any other time.

The 2011 onwards Euro 5 vehicles have a metal canister filter instead so these should not be a problem.

We have found that the elements in the plastic filters are good for 50,000 miles with no problems and at low mileages I would leave it well alone for at least 3 years as long as you have not been buying suspect fuel. Owners of these vehicles would be wise to buy the complete housing (which has an element inside already) and just change the whole thing. This means the job is £25 or so more for the parts but much quicker, easier and potentially more reliable.

In terms of spare parts I think i would carry some spare mirror heads and a few bulbs but that is about it really. There is not much else that you would be able to fix by the side of the road, and despite what you read on this and other sites; the Ducato is a very reliable machine.

Nick

"Some" spare mirror heads? Do you mean the rear view mirrors? Sounds expensive.

Bulbs, definitely.

Spare wheel, if possible.

Tool kit for broken bonnet catch etc..

Spare spectacles, so you can see what your'e doing.

Thing is that in mainland Europe, you are never far from civilisation, despite what UKIP say.

Aside from such things as bulbs spares that might possibly go wrong are quite expensive and odds are they won't go wrong, we carry the electro/pneumatic valve that works the EGR but only because it was suspected as a fault during the mouse saga, but turned out to be fine, cost me £160 iirc.

If you have a Truma CS regulator you might want to carry a 'cheap' reg as a spare as these are renown for clogging,

Surely most of the European countries that are the playground for almost all of us that go wandering around in our motorhomes have a motorhome and caravan industry of their own. Equally most of the small commercial vehicles used by tradesmen and others in these countries will be the same Sevel/Mercedes/Ford/VW/ Renault vans on which our vans are based , and there will be service facilities and spare parts available for them. Add to that the certainty that even the relatively modern vehicles at the older end of the spectrum are so reliable and durable that, provided that they are properly maintained and sensibly driven, they should be able to undertake a journey of 3- 4- 5 thousand miles without breaking down.

I imagine that most of us carry a modest tool kit that enables us to make the odd adjustment, or tinker with our vans in the search for improvement, and I imagine we almost all pay for decent breakdown cover, so we don't really need to carry much in the way of spares.

AGD

I believe Sydney1 owns a 2012 Ducato X250-based Auto-Trail motorhome. Regarding spare-part recommendations he said "I'm thinking of specifics like the fuel filter rather than tools and things like cable ties and duct tape”.

I think the only part I’d specifically want to carry would be the headlamp bulb if the Ducato base-vehicle were fitted with the Fiat daytime running lights option. This is an H15 bulb (photo here)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=357377

and, as few vehicle manufacturers have chosen it as original equipment, is likelier to be a good deal harder to find if an emergency replacement were needed than the usual H1, H4 or H7 type.

(Fortunately Fiat don’t factory-fit H15 bulbs to the current Ducato X290.)

• 1 month later...

Having poo-pooed the idea of carrying a spare fuel filter housing.....

Guess what?

It blows again on the motorway with my son and family on their way to Cornwall.

No Fiat main dealers open this time of year!

By passed it with an in line fuel filter, fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to read about your problem. I always travel in hope and at the moment when I set off in Big Fiona my motorhome I hope my fuel filter housing does not leak! I see from other posts that in 2011? the plastic housing used in Ducatos was replaced with a metal housing - would it be possible to retrofit to pre2011 Ducatos?

Archived