things that rattle

barbermandy

Some use bubble wrap or things like a tea cloth we use bubble wrap in the locker were our drinking glasses are kept can’t stand Good wine out of a plastic one. In the oven a tea cloth is wrapped around or between cooking things, cutlery no problem they fit in ok, dishes and cups are also wedged in with a tea towel

Best plan is for one person to drive the van laden ready for a trip and one to sit in the back identifying individual rattles and squeaks.

What you will find is that as you silence one so another will take it's place as the prominent source of irritation so it can be a long process of elimination.

Cardboard is a good anti rattle surface and it is cheap (free) and can easily be cut and joined as well as used to make dividers and tailor made boxes to fit in odd shaped spaces and cupboards.

Empty ice cream containers make good stackable storage boxes and best of all you get to eat all the ice cream first.

Hi and welcome, it takes time to sort the rattles, even to remember whats in each cupboard! Like Ham we prefer to use real glasses, so have a shelf lined with rubber mat, rolls from pound shop. Also dividers made of cardboard, with the rubber mat. stuck to it. Works great. Shelves in oven, good old tea towels, just remember to take them out before you fire up the oven or you'll need the fire extinguisher, which you have of course. Use plastic baskets in draws for tins etc. again pound shop. Whatever dont let the rattles put you off, and use your van. Enjoy it.

We have clips in one cupboard that take bottle (2) and 6 which take wine classes with stems. OH has also made a plywood rack with holes that take small (tot) glasses and another for Tumblers Plastic baskets and boxes make usefull storage

We also cannot stand plastic glasses or cups/plates etc.

PJay

we use the rubber non slip from pound shop in btm of drawers, wrap a tea towel around grill rack and that seems to sort out all the carried stuff rattles. We did also have rattles from window stays and stuck on some draught excluder so when windows where shut the stays where held tight by that.

As well as the indispensable rubber mesh try paper plates between plates, cut the rubber up in largish squares to fit between pans/lids etc things like your electric kettle can be wedged temporarily in( I use the crockery cupboard) and push a kitchen roll in as well so nothing up there moves (lol) just remember when opening the cupboards to catch it as it falls ;-)

Bubble wrap is good to fit under cooker pan rests while on the move or tea towel under the glass lid if you have one, tins wont move if stood on the rubber matting, you will soon get the hang of it and will probably come up with idea,s of your own :-D just know we all have to do it unlike when we had caravans we couldn't hear things moving then.

Just remember to pack your toiletries away before you leave site and make sure the drawers are fastened shut same with the fridge. Happy motoring. :-)

We also found those self adhesive "felt" pads(Screwfix, Poundshops etc) very handy, for taking any play/rattles out of cupboard doors and draws

More for retaining stuff than for stopping rattles but I cut down a dense car sponge to fit into the fridge door shelves..This stopped bottles, jars etc from "shuttling" backwards and forwards, when travelling.

Those sprung loaded, telescopic net curtain pole are also handy for the fronts of overhead lockers, as they stop stuff from spilling out into your lap...

Rubber matting on all shelves and in the cutlery drawer;

Use of soft plastic containers wherever possible;

Cups, saucers and plates individually separated with a 'sewn to fit' tea towel, same for pots and pans;

Towel between the glass lid and hob frame to stop the hob rattles;

Foam cover [pipe lagging] on wardrobe rail;

Only take what you will need;

Go shows next year to get a feel of what people buy.

We removed all our belongings from our van - except for soft items like towels and bedding - and the road test showed all rattles etc came from the body not from what we packed. So follow the above and all the other advice posted, and you won't ride in silence, but at least the rattles will be less.

If all else fails, turn up the radio volume.

Good luck with the van. Post on here if you have more questions or ask any motorhomers you come across on your travels. We've all had to learn!

When we first started motorhoming we used to be obsessive about rattles but soon came to the conclusion we would never get rid of all of them so now just live with some. On smooth motorways where we spend most time they seem not to occure.

We do use a lot of none slip on shelves, between plates and pots and pans etc. A small hand towel stops the rattles from the cooker hob and another deals with rattles from the grill/oven. Another is placed in the cuttalery draw. Bottles cans and jars travel,in plastic containers with ply separators I made ages ago.

We do,seem to have less rattles now we have changed to a PVC from a coach built.

Guest Peter James
When I drove a quiet car, just one little squeak or rattle would drive me round the bend. Now I drive a van with a hundred squeaks and rattles in the back I don't hear them. So I think you need to wait till you get a few more squeaks and rattles to cancel the others out :-D

I had loads of "nice" tea towels , had a carpet sample which i used to put under the glass on the hob ,( matching colour of course lol) and used the non slip stuff frm pound shop ,the last van we had was very quiet but the brand new one before that made a helluva racket ! Which just goes to show how different they all travel , dont forget to pack heavy stuff low ,you dont want a tin of baked beans falling on yer crust , or worse still denting your worktop , happy camping pp:)

We've had 5 vans over the years, 3 on the Sevel chassis, 1 on a Mercedes chassis, and 1 RV on a Spartan chassis with the rear engine. The RV was great, no engine noise and with it's almost fullsized fittings there were no rattles. On the other 4 the engines were so noisy that we wouldn't hear anything rattling anyway.

AGD

Archived