Tom Tom Go Live Camper & Caravan

Dave C

I've been looking at the Tom Tom Go Live Camper & Caravan sat nav device. Seems to be useful being able to personalise it to my van dimensions.

Has anyone out there had any experience (good or bad) of this sat nav?

Best price I have found is under £270 including delivery.

Thanks

Dave

I have had one of these for 2 years, There has been NO 'laser scanning' of our road system, Like they did with Cameras for Google Earth. Hence, all they do is include all legal and physical restrictions as in 'Bridge max height 10 feet' or 'Official' 6' width limit, and guide you around them, Mainly by directing you onto Major Routes only, So, in the main it works ok, but for an address off of a major route it could STILL direct you down an unsuitable country lane, simply because it doesn't know how wide the lane is. NOT as good as I thought it would be, Mine cost me £329, I DID get a 'lifetime' UK & Ireland map, but the European map is now 2 years old, (and the upgrade is expensive) and the 'Live' subscription has expired, I didn't rate it very highly anyway so have not renewed it. It is more 'Clunky' to download updates via the Computer than my 'One' is, and it uses entirely differant software. All in all NOT that much better than my Tom Tom One 'new' edition, on which the battery is still going strong, whereas the 'Go Live 1005 camper' battery is failing already.

Make sure you get 'Lifetime Map Updates' for BOTH Europe and UK, AND the 'Live' has similar lifetime updates. Then it would be worth £270 otherwise Not.

Ray

We have one of these which we bought 2.1/2 years ago prior to the Free Updates. Last August we were thinking of buying the Snooper version but were put off after having a conversation with our local motor factors who used to sell Snooper items. He said they are ok if you want to buy but it stops there, there is no backup as everything has to be dealt with by Germany, so we bit the bullet and upgraded our maps. We find the Live Services good for finding various types of shops etc within the area we are going to, for example we needed a Bike shop that dealt with our make of electric bikes and it brought up quite a few to choose from. The TomTom one is a bit slow when you have to update nearly everyday via the computer and the battery charge doesn't last that long. If we know we are going to use it then we charge it via the mains overnight and then update because it takes too long via the computer. We also keep it plugged in in the 12v socket in the car or van whilst travelling. As far as price is concerned, the cheapest place I have found is Capital Stores, Trafford Park, Manchester via their online service.

Archived