Dab radio reception, anyone tried this?

Stitches

One thing that has not been mentioned have you got your radio set up correctly for the type of aerial you are using.

If using a passive aerial you must make sure the phantom power to the aerial is turned off, if using an active aerial the supply needs to be turned on.

The stick on one in Stuarts pic is passive, but you can get active stick on ones.

Can't figure this lot out, I've got a DAB / FM radio at home with a simple telescopic aerial that picks up everything from any room in the house, and no I'm not sitting next to a transmitter.....................pity it's not battery operated, I'd try sticking it on the dashboard. :-S

It might help if Nick and Melanie said what make and model the radio is. I'm a little puzzled that it didn't come with a stick on aerial, as so many seem to. But, as it presumably didn't, I'm also a bit surprised that the supplier seems not to have advised on aerial choices. There are only, really, three possible explanations: the radio has a poor DAB reciever (or is defective), the aerial is unsuitable, or the installation is defective. After three aerials with no improvement I'd assume that can be discounted. So, it seems it must be the radio itself (or possibly the selection of settings on the radio), or something is wrong with the installation.

As a relevant aside, at least to the DAB part of discussion about aerials, perhaps I could mention another learning experience which might help other non- technocrats.

A few weeks after fitting my MH DAB radio it stopped working (on DAB) although it would still receive FM. I fiddled about and gave up, taking it back to Halford.

A nice young man sat in the MH, pulled the radio out, disconnected the power line, waited a while then reconnected and put it back. The radio then worked as it should, including DAB.

Apparently DAB radios can get their underwear tangled, like omputers, so sometimes they need rebooting, which require completly disconnecting the power supply, to force the reboot.

I don't understand why, but the cure works.

Hi

It's a pure dab radio bought from halfords and installed by MH dealer. Stick on square aerial initially installed but not placed against metal therefore not earthed. I then went to halfords and a stick magnetic aerial is on dash at front near side in a vertical position. Radio clear in city centre and maor towns but no reception at all when traveling anywhere outside of these areas.

Nick

Is it new enough to return and exchange for a known unit such as a Clarion or Kenwood etc., it would involve a bit more cost but could be worth it.

Better still get a refund and buy elsewhere Halfords tend to be rather expensive, on my unit they were over a hundred quid dearer than other suppliers.

....actually, Pure have been in the Auto market for DAB longer than most, and have sold a lot of units over the years.

They started with the first well-reviewed add-on unit at least 7 years ago, and have replaced and augmented this approach over the years.

Their entry into the full head-unit market has been relatively recent, and the units are at the cheap end of the scale (at least partially because they "own" some of the technology included), but are generally reviewed as reasonable value for money.

Unless faulty, installed correctly with a decent aerial there should be no reason why one should not give acceptable performance. The prime (though not only) suspect will still be the quality of the aerial, as even FM reception challenges some conversions, and DAB is rather more hit and miss.

Archived