Petrol motorhome anyone?

Robinhood

Guest pelmetman
Nice to see us Luddites are ahead of the curve again ;-) ...............I'll even have a proper automatic Ford soon B-) ...............which is something Mr Ford cant manage (lol) ..............

Perhaps the American saying ' there is no substitute to More Cubic Inches' will end up being true ??

At least a large petrol engine can be converted to run on Gas, with minimal emissions.

Funny old World isn't it, large petrol engines used to labelled ' Gas guzzling polluters' WHEN they were trying to get us to all buy diesel cars (who now turn out NOT to be the 'paragons of virtue' they were made out to be !).

If not by diesel, what ARE large,heavy vehicles going to be powered by ? Gas turbines ? and how does that affect motorhomes ?

Ray

And please don't say electricity, how would you charge it up, with Blackouts predicted.

Rayjsj - 2014-12-01 3:25 PM

Perhaps the American saying ' there is no substitute to More Cubic Inches' will end up being true ??

At least a large petrol engine can be converted to run on Gas, with minimal emissions.

Funny old World isn't it, large petrol engines used to labelled ' Gas guzzling polluters' WHEN they were trying to get us to all buy diesel cars (who now turn out NOT to be the 'paragons of virtue' they were made out to be !).

If not by diesel, what ARE large,heavy vehicles going to be powered by ? Gas turbines ? and how does that affect motorhomes ?

Ray

And please don't say electricity, how would you charge it up, with Blackouts predicted.

A gas turbine going throu a relatively small battery bank powering electric motors, for vans this could be a 30hp motor on each wheel giving a economic 4x4 with low emissions.

I must be ahead of the game for a change as I have been running a petrol engined hybrid car for over three years - and guess what - it's never gone wrong and never done less than 50 mpg - usually more - but then it was made in Japan not Europe!

Shame we don't have Japanese base vehicles and habitation appliances for our motorhomes and then we would not need forums as they rarely go wrong and when they do the on the ball dealers quickly and courteously put them right - or so I'm told?

Tracker - 2014-12-01 5:01 PM

I must be ahead of the game for a change as I have been running a petrol engined hybrid car for over three years - and guess what - it's never gone wrong and never done less than 50 mpg - usually more - but then it was made in Japan not Europe!

Shame we don't have Japanese base vehicles and habitation appliances for our motorhomes and then we would not need forums as they rarely go wrong and when they do the on the ball dealers quickly and courteously put them right - or so I'm told?

Guess it's a Toyota (Pirus) Rich.

I had a Coralla for 18 years. All that I ever had to change was the tyres and battery. The exhaust was SS so that was still good after all that time Great car. I love Toyotas, but they are a bit pricey, for a car that I only use for 1000 miles a year

PJay

PJay - 2014-12-01 6:46 PM

Guess it's a Toyota (Pirus) Rich.

I had a Corolla for 18 years. All that I ever had to change was the tyres and battery. The exhaust was SS so that was still good after all that time Great car. I love Toyotas, but they are a bit pricey, for a car that I only use for 1000 miles a year

PJay

Close Pauline - Lexus CT200h - I couldn't drive around in an upturned jelly mould that is the Prius!

We also have a 10 year old Honda Jazz as a shopping and general transport car and that too does what it says on the tin and never fails - unlike various Jags, Mercs, Beemers - and the worst offenders of all - older VW group cars that are constant money pits.

Taking the overall cost of ownership plus the lack of angst which is priceless I don't reckon they are expensive at all - and best of all there really is no need to buy a new one as they (NOT Lexus) all come with a five year warranty and let someone else take the initial hit of depreciation.

I'm a Toyota Fan too, chose a 2litre Carina Estate Auto as my Company car back in 1993, I was very wary of Automatics after having a Ford Sierra (remember them) 2litre Automatic estate, that very nearly got me squashed flat whilst joining a motorway, I pulled onto the motorway, leaving a fair distance between me and a large truck that was 'steaming' up the inside lane, I pushed on the throttle, expecting 'kick down' to accelerate me away in front of him,by changing down a gear, it changed down TWO gears and nearly stood on it's nose, Both the Truck driver and me ended up with brown trousers as he braked hard trying to avoid me, as the Sierra leisurely pulled away, slowly changing up . I never trusted it after that...... Back to the Toyota, The Toyota restored my faith in Automatics,it did 150,000 miles and never let me down once, so, when the time came to choose again, (I was a Tugger then) I went for another Toyota, a Rav4 5 door, again a 2 litre petrol, it was 1997 and they didn't do the diesel version then, Pulled my caravan off of many a muddy CL, in 'diff lock', I bought it off of the leasing company and kept it for 13 years,220,000 miles

again never a SINGLE thing went wrong, replaced Shockers,brakes,oil,tyres and filters wiper blades and thats IT, now have a Toyota Yaris, which I tow behind behind the M/H. (which is a Bxxxxy Fiat !) and that too is going well with no faults(as it SHOULD be). Already had 'Phantom' engine failure lights on the 2 year old Fiat (DPF evidently,which was reset). NOT looking good.

Yes, if a converter did a Motorhome on a Japanese Built Toyota commercial Chassis, I would put my name down straight away.

Ray

Ps Lexus are just 'upmarket' Toyota's.

It really is amazing, one man's fabulous car is another man's lemon. I had successive Jaguar XJ8 LWB and each did more than 250000 miles needing no more than regular servicing, followed up by successive Audi A6 diesels the first did 240000 miles withour any problems and the current one is now at 185000 miles with no trouble but as I have retired it won't do many more.

It's the Toyotas that trouble me. I'm sure that they do all the things that people claim for them but have you not noticed whenever you see pictures of rebel fighters in the trouble spots around the world they all drive Toyotas. What is it about driving a Toyota that makes people behave in that way, and could we establish world peace by sim[ply putting Toyota out of business.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2014-12-01 9:47 PM

I'm sure that they do all the things that people claim for them but have you not noticed whenever you see pictures of rebel fighters in the trouble spots around the world they all drive Toyotas. What is it about driving a Toyota that makes people behave in that way, and could we establish world peace by simply putting Toyota out of business.

AGD

That's pure genius!

They only drive Toyotas because they are reliable so if we gave them Land Rovers, or better still Fiats and Fords, they would spend so much time being repaired they would never get to fight anyone!

On the other hand they might just hijack and steal a few Mitsubishis instead!

So much for that theory then - think we better think it out again!

Guest pelmetman

It really is amazing, one man's fabulous car is another man's lemon. I had successive Jaguar XJ8 LWB and each did more than 250000 miles needing no more than regular servicing, followed up by successive Audi A6 diesels the first did 240000 miles withour any problems and the current one is now at 185000 miles with no trouble but as I have retired it won't do many more.

It's the Toyotas that trouble me. I'm sure that they do all the things that people claim for them but have you not noticed whenever you see pictures of rebel fighters in the trouble spots around the world they all drive Toyotas. What is it about driving a Toyota that makes people behave in that way, and could we establish world peace by sim[ply putting Toyota out of business.

AGD

Blimey that's a leap of accusation 8-) ...........Blaming a tool maker for the worlds troubles :-| ...........

I've noticed quite a few SLR's amongst the Kalashnikov's when the bad guy's appear on the telly :-S .............

pelmetman - 2014-12-01 10:04 PM

AGD

Blimey that's a leap of accusation 8-) ...........Blaming a tool maker for the worlds troubles :-| ...........

I've noticed quite a few SLR's amongst the Kalashnikov's when the bad guy's appear on the telly :-S .............

Libya had a load of FN FALS, which is what the L1A1 (SLR) started out as.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2014-12-01 10:35 PM

pelmetman - 2014-12-01 10:04 PM

AGD

Libya had a load of FN FALS, which is what the L1A1 (SLR) started out as.

Which conveniently highlights that Japan may have given them the wheel's ( probably built in Europe)

Europe along with Russia has supplied the weapons ;-) .............no doubt they get the bullets from ebay :-| .........

I just had a mental picture of their 'local' Toyota dealership, yes, sir Toyota 4x4 pickup truck in this years popular colour 'Anti-Drone' reflective Silver, and do you want the Multi-Barrelled anti-aircraft cannons in the Pick-up Bed or the latest Recoil-less Anti- Tank gun. Both interchangeable at a 'Special Price' only for this month. Do they have their version of Halfords, that fits all these armaments to their trucks. To make them 'Technicals' ??.

Toyotas have always sold 4x4 's in countries without good roads, The Landcruiser is a Legend for it's reliability. Cant go having a 'Blocked' DPF' causing you to die in the desert can you ? Ray

Archived