France Motorhome breakdown cover

qwark

We are off to France next year for a month and need motorhome breakdown cover. I am already a RAC member, covering my car and motorhome. Checking online RAC want £150 ish , seems a lot as I am already covered for UK. Will have to phone them , and see if I can do better!

Anybody got any better deals that I can use to persuade RAC to do better.

Thanks for any help

Tom

You need reliable breakdown cover and I worry that bundled insurane/breakdown deals could be problematic if you need help.

Our UK Breakdown includes European cover for the main car as well as UK cover and there is also personal breakdown cover (i.e. any vehicle) for my wife and I. I therefore nominate our MH as our main vehicle for breakdpwn purposes. I have had to use it twice in France and on both occassions the dedicated Call Centre were superb, no quibbling at all.

Mine cover is with Brittania Rescue. I also insure the vehicles (except MH) with LV, which owns Brittania Rescue but I don't think that's essential.

StuartO - 2014-12-03 9:40 AM

You need reliable breakdown cover and I worry that bundled insurane/breakdown deals could be problematic if you need help.

Alarmist rubbish, both Comfort & saga breakdown are full RAC policies with added enhancements tailored for Motorhomes.

I have used both Brittania Rescue (in France) and Comfort (RAC) (in Spain) with my motorhome and both were excellent. Breakdown cover is breakdown cover and the fact it is bundled in with an insurance policy does not make that cover unreliable.

Guest Had Enough

ADAC - brilliant! Breakdown cover in all Europe at a superb price, about £70 p.a.

The cover is for the policyholder and not any particular vehicle, so you're covered in the UK as well in your motorhome or private car.

The service is first class. I had a puncture in a remote part of France and within twenty minutes a man from a Peugeot dealer up the valley arrived and changed the wheel. He then took it away and repaired the puncture. We arrived at his garage to find the tyre mended and he then refitted the original tyre and we put the spare back in the garage. He charged €18 for this. The rest was covered under the policy.

They're in Germany but speak English. Phone (49) 89 7676 6632.

I could tell you a lot more about them but I'm going out for the day. Just search on ADAC for more info.

My understanding and as stated on ADACs site is ADAC membership requires that your place of residence is in Germany, but that's taken from their website, it further states. Please understand that contract documents, form, terms & conditions and any other notices and information will generally be provided in German, one of the things that put me off looking into it further.

However an alternative for the OP as Lenny say's, is to consider when his insurance is up for renewal would be to try a company that includes breakdown cover, we use Safeguard, fully comp,included is full european breakdown cover underwritten by the AA, with recovery back to the UK if required, my premium at renewal was £266, making his RAC quote sound a little expensive in comparison . ;-)

lennyhb - 2014-12-03 9:06 AM

..both Comfort & saga do 365 day European breakdown cover for any size Motorhome for less than 60 quid as an add on to their insurance policies.

Saga's 'Motorhome Assistance Plus' European breakdown cover add-on cost me £93.95 at last renewal. Should I be getting it for less than that?

Steve928 - 2014-12-03 1:45 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-03 9:06 AM

..both Comfort & saga do 365 day European breakdown cover for any size Motorhome for less than 60 quid as an add on to their insurance policies.

Saga's 'Motorhome Assistance Plus' European breakdown cover add-on cost me £93.95 at last renewal. Should I be getting it for less than that?

Comfort is about £58, it's a couple of years since I had a quote from Saga, I seem to remember Saga's insurance was a bit cheaper but the breakdown cover a bit dearer total was about the same for both of them.

Insurance and breakdown cover are increasingly standardised to save duplication of resources nowadays, so the company you pay is rarely what it seems. A recent incident where a car ran into my garden, demolishing the greenhouse, is a case in point. In talking to the loss adjuster, both the car driver and ourselves were actually covered by Aviva, although neither of us were paying premiums directly to them. All the breakdown companies seem to use the same garages and repair men ( not had a repair woman yet). I was insured with Alps and the AA turned up, insured with Saga and Aviva turned up.

So I wouldn't worry about lesser known insurers or breakdown cover. The number you phone is often used by many companies and the first question is "who are you covered by", not to direct you to a different garage, but to record the event for billing later on.

my breakdown cover with saga last year was £99, but didnt include turkey or morocco. so i got adac at euro 89, including all med countries (ie turkey and morocco. i gave a UK address, and this week i got my renewal quote (sent to my UK address). euro 89.60 (currently around £70, so much cheaper than my UK quotes). i was surprised to find that this also included medical insurance. (if you are in hospital for 2 weeks, they pay for family to visit from uk!!).. havent used them, but was impressed with them when they turned up on a moroccan campsite to trecover a vehicle back to europe.

Another vote for Britannia Rescue from me, not very expensive when compared to the other offerings and has no age limits on the vehicle, something some of the others do.

Using BR and Insure and Go for medical insurance works out to around £100 for us, just under in fact.

Basil

KeithR - 2014-12-03 3:10 PM

my breakdown cover with saga last year was £99, but didnt include turkey or morocco. so i got adac at euro 89, including all med countries (ie turkey and morocco. i gave a UK address, and this week i got my renewal quote (sent to my UK address). euro 89.60 (currently around £70, so much cheaper than my UK quotes). i was surprised to find that this also included medical insurance. (if you are in hospital for 2 weeks, they pay for family to visit from uk!!).. havent used them, but was impressed with them when they turned up on a moroccan campsite to trecover a vehicle back to europe.

Comfort covers Israel, Iceland, Morocco & Tunisia, but as the RAC do not have agreements with any services in those countries you have to pay yourself and then reclaim.

KeithR - 2014-12-03 3:10 PM

My vote is for ADAC, they still cover me and my wife anywhere in EU plus some other countries. Any vehicle anywhere. I had to use them when my fuel pump went in Spain, they were excellent, a week in a hotel, spare parts flown out from Germany and full translation services, Spanish, English, no problem.

They do speak English, you can pay by credir/debit card.

H

i only joined ADAC last year, having even then been warned that they didnt take UK residents??

the problem, as i understand it, is that there is no recovery system in place in morocco, so if you dont have the phone number of a local garage if you break down, then its diffficult to get recovered to reclaim back when you get home. but a phone call to ADAC does the job. and i have seen with my own eyes an ADAC van doing just that.

Archived