Caravan Club - well done

LordThornber

They've had enough attempts at getting it right..

The system for booking 2015 dates went live at 9am and so far so good for me.

The "Easy book" system worked a treat, I just logged in, waited about 2 or 3 minutes and job done.

In case anyone is thinking I've booked up loads of nights which I'll end up cancelling and therfore blocking pitches - I haven't, just a Birthday and another break.

Martyn

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just managed to book a popular site for a weekend, although not a holiday weekend, which had already gone. York Rowntree Park seemed to be fully booked for weekends throughout April and May before 11 am! By 10.15am they had taken over 30,000 bookings and over 2,000 memebers were active on the website.

They have introduced a special diversion which takes you too an EasyBook option, so that as long as you know which site you want, you can then check availability and make a booking very easily.

Unfortunately this diversion grabs you every time you try to do anything involving searching for sites, so the normal facilites for searching sites abnd viewing details about them are not available. It is currently impossible to search for sites or view information about them in the normal way, nor view the map search facility.

Brilliant I've just booked 115 days on 25 sites in just over an hour and what's more I got on almost straight away. And no we are not booking all weekends and blocking sites our bookings are all ones we intend to use all being well. True some of the normal facilities were not available. I understand these have been blocked for today to speed up booking. They are all duento be reactivated tomorrow. Average cost per night has worked out at around £20

Guest pelmetman

That's what I love about this hobby in the UK ;-) ...............

You just jump in the camper and go where ever you like :D .............providing you booked up several months before :-| ...........

Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 2:10 PM

Brilliant I've just booked 115 days on 25 sites in just over an hour and what's more I got on almost straight away. And no we are not booking all weekends and blocking sites our bookings are all ones we intend to use all being well. True some of the normal facilities were not available. I understand these have been blocked for today to speed up booking. They are all due to be reactivated tomorrow. Average cost per night has worked out at around £20

£2300 in site fees - ye gods that's more than Dave's van is worth and more than the annual depreciation of my van and about £2250 more than we paid for our 50 or so nights on Aires in the warm sunshine of France this year!

lennyhb - 2014-12-03 6:21 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-03 6:12 PM

:-S :-S :-S What's the Caravan Club :-S :-S :-S

A large profit making organisation that hates Motorhomes. (lol)

A large holiday company which charges a fee for their members to pay exhorbitant prices for campsites, travel and insurance.

Tracker - 2014-12-03 6:03 PM

Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 2:10 PM

Brilliant I've just booked 115 days on 25 sites in just over an hour and what's more I got on almost straight away. And no we are not booking all weekends and blocking sites our bookings are all ones we intend to use all being well. True some of the normal facilities were not available. I understand these have been blocked for today to speed up booking. They are all due to be reactivated tomorrow. Average cost per night has worked out at around £20

£2300 in site fees - ye gods that's more than Dave's van is worth and more than the annual depreciation of my van and about £2250 more than we paid for our 50 or so nights on Aires in the warm sunshine of France this year!

So that's 50 nights for you against 115 for us with no crossing fees. Seems like a bargain to me.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 6:54 PM

So that's 50 nights for you against 115 for us with no crossing fees. Seems like a bargain to me.

Fair comment Colin - there is no way I could get half a dozen return ferry crossings for under a grand - or is there ?

And the sunshine is a bonus - along with diesel at under a fiver a gallon!

So that leaves me about a grand in pocket - which covers a big slice of the cost of the diesel.

On that basis alone it is unlikely that we will be holidaying in the UK in 2015.

Tracker - 2014-12-03 7:03 PM

Fair comment Colin - there is no way I could get half a dozen return ferry crossings for under a grand - or is there ?

So that leaves me about a grand in pocket - which covers a big slice of the cost of the diesel.

On that basis alone it is unlikely that we will be holidaying in the UK in 2015.

How much would it cost you if you had 115 days rather than 50 and how does the price of food compare?

You have me at a loss to understand your logic. Given it charges the same in membership fees and site fees for caravans and motorhomes how on earth do you work out the CLUB hates motorhomes? Care to explian?

Mike88 - 2014-12-03 6:25 PM

A large holiday company which charges a fee for their members to pay exhorbitant prices for campsites, travel and insurance.

Just try comparing CC site fees for those charged by commercial sites on a like for like basis and you'll be able to see why so many of,us are members and happy to to pay the site fees!

As regards the profit being a CLUB it does not actually go anywhere other than back into,the club for running costs, site improvements and accusations. None gets siphoned off to shareholders, investors or banks. They publish their accounts in great detail if you'd care to look rather than making such sweeping statements about its profits .

Of course the CC does not hate motorhomes - why would it when they are such an easy source of income.

For the same price that you can park a large 4x4, a four wheel caravan consuming as much electricity as you can, a huge awning with a grass killing groundsheet, and as many windbreaks as you can get away with you can also park a VW camper van with no EHU for the night.

Now that's what I call equality and fairness!

Good luck to those who feel that it offers good VFM and long may you continue to enjoy your stays, but some of us see things somewhat differently.

Guest pelmetman
Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 7:07 PM

How much would it cost you if you had 115 days rather than 50 and how does the price of food compare?

Supermarkets are about on par with UK now, except the wine is cheaper............eating out is also cheaper and far better value especially at lunch time B-) ..................and if you went a bit further South to Spain then everything is cheaper still :D ...........and you get this funny yellow thing in the sky in winter 8-).............

pelmetman - 2014-12-03 7:18 PM

Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 7:07 PM

Supermarkets are about on par with UK now, except the wine is cheaper............eating out is also cheaper and far better value especially at lunch time B-) ..................and if you went a bit further South to Spain then everything is cheaper still :D ...........and you get this funny yellow thing in the sky in winter 8-).............

Out of interest how much cheaper is the wine. In the past living in Kent we always used to pop over through the tunnel using Tesco vouchers for a cheap crossing and buy our wine in bulk twice a year but began to,find it was no longer worth the effort. Indeed we could sometimes buy the same wine cheaper in the UK. Now the pound has gone up perhaps we should,take a look at starting that again.

pepe63 - 2014-12-03 7:25 PM

From some of the reactions on here, anyone would think that...

a) Colin must have hacked into their bank accounts and prepaid for his pitches with their money ....

or..

b) ...at some point in the past, their Mrs must have run off and had a fling with a CC warden ... (lol)

No need to do that. With the.CC you pay for your pitch on arrival.

I'm just coming to the defence of a CLUB that seems to come under unfair criticism from some seemingly uninformed sources.

You get what you pay for in this world and whilst I'm fortunate enough to,be able to afford to do so I'm more than happy pay for using their well maintained and excellent sites.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-03 7:36 PM

You get what you pay for in this world and whilst I'm fortunate enough to,be able to afford to do so I'm more than happy pay for using their well maintained and excellent sites.

And long may you continue to enjoy CC sites Colin, and I wish you very happy camping for 2015 and beyond!

Tracker - 2014-12-03 7:17 PM

Of course the CC does not hate motorhomes - why would it when they are such an easy source of income.

For the same price that you can park a large 4x4, a four wheel caravan consuming as much electricity as you can, a huge awning with a grass killing groundsheet, and as many windbreaks as you can get away with you can also park a VW camper van with no EHU for the night.

Now that's what I call equality and fairness!

Good luck to those who feel that it offers good VFM and long may you continue to enjoy your stays, but some of us see things somewhat differently.

You have a point in a way Tracket but as far as the club is concerned a pitch is a pitch and it costs the same to run no matter what you put on it. Plenty use large motorhomes.with big awnings, have windbreaks and a car towed on a trailer which takes up,even more room. Defeats the object of,using a motorhome to my mind but they do. Most we ever put up is the wind out awning with a side sunblocker.

LordThornber - 2014-12-03 7:43 PM

Perhaps Colin doesn't need to factor in fuel/ferries/wine/depreciation/sun/price

Maybe he's like me, and just buys a product he likes.

Maybe he's also like me and doesn't need to produce forensic accounts to enjoy said product.

Just maybe of course.

Martyn

I'm hoping I've solved the wine problem if Tracker come through for me.

pepe63 - 2014-12-03 7:25 PM

From some of the reactions on here, anyone would think that...

a) Colin must have hacked into their bank accounts and prepaid for his pitches with their money ....

or..

b) ...at some point in the past, their Mrs must have run off and had a fling with a CC warden ... (lol)

Absolutely. No wonder so many good contributors disappear.

Martyn

Archived