Caravan Club - well done

LordThornber

Tracker - 2014-12-04 3:58 PM

rupert123 - 2014-12-04 2:42 PM

OK the weather is not always the best but if all you require is a beach in Benidorm and some sun then that is pretty sad. Personally sitting on a beach even in the sun becomes boring after about five minutes for me and as for spending three months on the same site in Spain this is beyond boring.

Having a go at the CC knockers as you put it is fair enough but it does seem rather strange that you should use such terminology regarding others?

I will not insult your intelligence by assuming that the above description fits you so why would you make such an assertion that it fits others?

I think that you can rest assured that most of us know that there is much more to mainland Europe than beaches.

You really take yourself a tiny bit seriously Rich, perhaps you should not always take others the same. As to knowing that there is more to Europe than beaches with some it would appear not and I do not have any problem insulting anyone's intelligence when I read some of the garbage posted about both the CC and the UK in general.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rupert123 - 2014-12-04 7:42 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-12-04 6:16 PM

Shame H don't know how to read a book, relax a bit and chill. But then not much opertunity to do anything at all on a cc site! :D

(couldn't resist (lol))

Well I have been known to sit and read Ed but threes months on same site in Spain would need a lot of books. Not referring to you incidentally but a couple of other posters on this thread.

Perhaps he's got a Kindle,

I'd sooner have three months here in Wales watching the rain come down, under grey skies, and freezing my watsits off though every time. ;-)

Tracker - 2014-12-04 8:01 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-04 7:51 PM

I'd sooner have three months here in Wales watching the rain come down, under grey skies, and freezing my watsits off though every time. ;-)

Seems like a reasonable fate for you - perhaps there is a god after all!

Yes maybe,

if there is at least he saved me from a depressing dump like Evesham. ;-)

Mike88 - 2014-12-03 6:25 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-03 6:21 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-03 6:12 PM

:-S :-S :-S What's the Caravan Club :-S :-S :-S

A large profit making organisation that hates Motorhomes. (lol)

A large holiday company which charges a fee for their members to pay exhorbitant prices for campsites, travel and insurance.

We have just asked for a quote for health insurance from CC, this works out at £384 for 74 days, then asked how much it would cost for Red Pennant breakdown and health and its £265 for 94 days, now work that one out. Guess which one we will go for.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-04 7:37 PM

Lord what's it your responsible for all this unpleasantness. You started this thread so your responsible. I hope your suitably ashamed of yourself.

Agreed Colin, how decidedly insensitive and unpleasant some of the reactions have been. Gosh, there I am praising the CC, how dare I?

On a serious note, a few comments about nothing to do on CC sites. Well try these then.

Hawes - surely in the top ten loveliest locations in the UK with beautiful easy walking.

Grassington - pretty much as above.

Warwick racecourse - Surely no promotion required.

York - As above.

Southport - Easy cycling, lovely town, easy walk in.

Flip side for some balance.

Blackpool - Apart from the obvious, a dead loss.

Richmond - A trek from anywhere.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2014-12-04 7:42 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-12-04 6:16 PM

Shame H don't know how to read a book, relax a bit and chill. But then not much opertunity to do anything at all on a cc site! :D

(couldn't resist (lol))

Well I have been known to sit and read My Lord but threes months on same site in Spain would need a lot of books. Not referring to you incidentally but a couple of other posers on this thread:D.

a bit harsh H!

6 weeks is my limit...much prefer an interesting tour in the summer....Its wrong to think its boring though, I speak to more people in a day there then in a week here,as everyone I know still works.

its a nice atmosphere. . plenty to do in spain..incidentally never been on the beach, ride past it all the time but sunbathing not my thing...and i still got the big C last year :-|

LordThornber - 2014-12-04 8:23 PM

Colin Leake - 2014-12-04 7:37 PM

Lord what's it your responsible for all this unpleasantness. You started this thread so your responsible. I hope your suitably ashamed of yourself.

Agreed Colin, how decidedly insensitive and unpleasant some of the reactions have been. Gosh, there I am praising the CC, how dare I?

On a serious note, a few comments about nothing to do on CC sites. Well try these then.

Hawes - surely in the top ten loveliest locations in the UK with beautiful easy walking.

Grassington - pretty much as above.

Warwick racecourse - Surely no promotion required.

York - As above.

Southport - Easy cycling, lovely town, easy walk in.

Flip side for some balance.j

Blackpool - Apart from the obvious, a dead loss.

Richmond - A trek from anywhere.

Martyn

Agree with your comments. Not to keen on York ourselves as we are not really into towns and history etc plus the only time we were there it flooded and we got chucked off a bit sharpish but it is a very popular site that is so popular it is almost always booked up.

We've visited most of the CC sites that have full facilities and kept brief notes on all of them for our own future reference. We tend to like sites that are set in a rural location with plenty of good walks for us and the dog out of the site plus a reasonable bus service to other locations and access to shops by bus or within walking distance say two or,three miles. It's a word document and if any one would like a copy as an attachment just let me have your email address and I'll be happy to send it.

Our own favourite site is Black Knowel in the New Forrest. We used to like Houghton Mill,but that has now reverted to The National Trust so we'll have to try and book with them.

Just booked 6 nights at Easter, directly with the site at Ferry Meadows (Peterborough), with no problem at all. I had to do this by telephone in person, because I was booking for two outfits at the same time and the web based reservation system cannot handle multiple applications from different members.

LordThornber - 2014-12-05 7:31 AM

pelmetman - 2014-12-05 7:24 AM

I wonder if the CC sites have any weekends left? ;-) ................

There's plenty Dave, if you use the late availability facility. Far less on the popular sites obviously.

Martyn

If you like Warrick you should try the Cheltenham Race Course. Book a grass pitch and you will have some magnificent views but make sure you have some good leveling blocks. There is a great walk of around three miles that in effect circles the course with many other walks branching out from it. You can also walk into town in about thirty min through some well kept parks and avenues. Or take the park and ride bus from the back of the site about 348 meters away or get a bus to other destinations. A shop is about 374 meters away out the back of the site. As for the facilities the jocky club supply well let's just say the showers are so big if you had a horse you could take that in there with you.

I do,take the precaution of hiding the wifes cards if we go into town and forgetting to,take my own.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-05 3:29 PM

If you like Warrick you should try the Cheltenham Race Course. Book a grass pitch and you will have some magnificent views but make sure you have some good leveling blocks........

......You can also walk into town in about thirty min through some well kept parks and avenues. Or take the park and ride bus from the back of the site about 348 meters away or get a bus to other destinations.

Colin, if you don't need hook-up, we've used the non-hook up pitches that are against the parameter fence, against the 'course...and you can park parallel to the fence, with your hab' door over looking the 'course.

We haven't stayed there for a while but it used to be a handy, Fri-after-work-bolthole. ;-)

I must say I like your, "..about 348 meters.."...So, to how many decimal points to you give your readings when you're being really accurate?.... (lol)

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2014-12-05 7:31 AM

pelmetman - 2014-12-05 7:24 AM

I wonder if the CC sites have any weekends left? ;-) ................

There's plenty Dave, if you use the late availability facility. Far less on the popular sites obviously.

Martyn

So if I fancy a weekend away next year on the "spur of the moment", at a "popular" site I better book soon 8-) ...............It's just as well I'm semi retired so can go midweek ;-) ..............

No wonder folk are booking up months ahead :-| ..............think I'll just book a train ticket B-) ..........

Joe90 - 2014-12-04 7:28 PM

Each to their own Colin, I'm well aware that you only pay on arrival, much the same as any site I've ever been on, the difference being in the UK it seems to be centered around "office hours" on the few occasions we used club sites and arrived late we felt suitably admonished by the warden, we gave up on the UK long ago, so I'll bow out and let the rest of you enjoy the CC and the UK, my point was and is, for anyone that has not ventured out of the UK it may be a revelation that things can and are often done differently that's all,no pre planning, no pre booking, and arriving past the witching hour isn't a hanging offence.

Just because we NOW prefer to Tour in the UK, and stay mainly at CC sites doesn't mean we havn't toured in Europe also, we have. We just do not choose to do it now.

We find a lot of the European Campsites Noisy,the pitches far too close together, and hardly any of them open in the winter, indeed out of the main school holiday period some are closed. Bit of a generalisation I know, but i think others are generalising about the CC also.

Ray

I too think that some of the criticism of the CC on this thread is unjustified as whilst I am no lover of some of their policies I do accept that for a lot of people their brand of camping in the UK both on sites and on CLs is very appealing.

Likewise some of the flak thrown at non CC users is also unjustified so come on guys a bit of tongue in cheek banter is one thing but let's all try and keep it all in perspective shall we?

If your new car had a minor problem once or twice would you flog it and change brands or would you just consider yourself unfortunate and put it behind you? Similarly with the CC or CCC - one or two bad experiences with an individual should not put you off either club for life.

pelmetman - 2014-12-05 5:37 PM

So if I fancy a weekend away next year on the "spur of the moment", at a "popular" site I better book soon 8-) ...........

Err?...that's pretty much how things are with anything that can be "oversubscribed"...

(once again...wasn't one of you Spanish 'sites getting booked up many months back? Hence the reason you booked back then..)

But by your supposed shock at this revelation, I can only assume you've never tried to buy sort after gig or theatre tickets?...or book a table at a popular restaurant?..... :-S

Tracker - 2014-12-05 6:55 PM

Likewise some of the flak thrown at non CC users is also unjustified so come on guys a bit of tongue in cheek banter is one thing but let's all try and keep it all in perspective shall we?

Just out of curiosity Rich, what "flak" would that be..?

All I've seen is a bit of "returning fire"..?...and usually it only usually H.E that does that but thankfully this time, a few more have spoke up...

..and most of the nasty, personal, sneering stuff, has come from the "anti" side...

Folk taking the pish out of anyone who books in advance or who pitches up on a 'site for a week or so, when they do the very same things themselves is just hypocritical....and ever so slightly dim... *-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-12-05 7:00 PM

pelmetman - 2014-12-05 5:37 PM

So if I fancy a weekend away next year on the "spur of the moment", at a "popular" site I better book soon 8-) ...........

Err?...that's pretty much how things are with anything that can be "oversubscribed"...

(once again...wasn't one of you Spanish 'sites getting booked up many months back? Hence the reason you booked back then..)

But by your supposed shock at this revelation, I can only assume you've never tried to buy sort after gig or theatre tickets?...or book a table at a popular restaurant?..... :-S

That's the trouble with the hoi polloi ;-) ..................they keep following me around :D.........

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-12-05 7:15 PM

Folk taking the pish out of anyone who books in advance or who pitches up on a 'site for a week or so, when they do the very same things themselves is just hypocritical....and ever so slightly dim... *-)

It's the CC system that allows the pitches to be booked en masse for the year that is the bug bear..............

Folk can book up loads of pitches months ahead, and if they don't feel like going or the weathers p*ssing down all they need to do is cancel 72 hours before hand *-)...............

A booking system that required a non refundable deposit would no doubt see a reduction in en masse bookings ;-) ................

Archived