fuel filter water sensor

clifford60

Hi all, Just managed to break the water sensor from my deisel fuel filter on a 1996 1.9td ducato. Does anyone know how essential these sensors are if only refuelling in Britain? There was no water present when I removed the sensor and I've had the van for 8 years without it detecting any. I have, of course, changed the filter a couple of times during this period.

Give these folk a go, having said that my old passat did 186000 miles on the same fuel filter, but I did drain it very occasionally as you suggest, but only about once a year, having said that I come from a time when water sensors were unheard of ! !

http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/

Water sensor is not needed unless you fill from drums etc.

If it is showing on dash, just bypass by using a wire across the two wires.

No need to drain as there is never any water in the filter.

Changed many and never seen any water.

clifford60 - 2014-12-03 4:06 PM

Hi all, What if I remove the drain plug periodically, say every 3 months or so. I'm not being tight, I just don't know how available the sensors are for an 18 year old van nor where I would get one if they were.

I believe that the fuel filter and water sensor factory-fitted to your 1996 Ducato was also used on other Fiat vehicles (and some Alfa Romeos). Despite your vehicle’s age, if you decide to replace the sensor, it’s quite likely that a Fiat or Alfa agent should be able to obtain one for you.

Many Thaks to everyone. I'm going to keep a close eye on the filter. If I don't find any water after a couple of inspections I'll accept it as surplus to requirements. However, if I pass a commercial scrapper on my travels, I might just have a look round and see what is available. Once again Many Thanks to all. Ian

Archived