Solar panel charge vehicle battery?

vannie2400

Hi everyone

New to motorhoming but enjoying it alot.

I have installed a 100w solar panel with a PWM solar charge controller, the pannel feeds two 100 ah leisure

batteries from the terminals designated "batteries" Could I feed the vehicle/starter battery direct from the "load" terminals on the controller? would there need to be a isolating switch between controller and vehicle battery for when the engine is running? Is this feesible!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Vannie2400

No it is not designed for that, you need to fit a relay that will sense when your leisure batteries are nearly charged then it will divert charge current to the engine battery.

Alternatively you could change the regulator for one designed for the job, thy allow you to select the state of charge when it diverts charge to engine battery.

Solar split charge relay

In order to answer many questions on this forum it would be helpful if posters could state the make, age and model of the vehicles owned. That can be done in the panel beneath their name. In this particular case, if the vehicle in question was a Swift for example, there is a pre fitted plug which enables a solar panel connection direct to the vehicle's electrics and smart charging system but without such information members are less able to help..

Type 'battery master' into Google and you'll find what you need.  We had one fitted to our Rollerteam 600 at the Malvern show this year................cost including fitting was around £70.00 but if you know your way around elektrikery it should be simple to self fit.  I don't so I paid someone who does.

Archived