New to Spain

Cliffy

We have booked the ferry to Santander for mid May.

As the ferry gets in late afternoon and we have not taken the MH to Spain before I was wondering the best place near to Santander that we can just roll up at at that time of day and stay while we get acclimatised and stock the fridge up.

We would prefer a campsite were we can stay for a couple of nights. Somewhere quiet but near enough to cycle/walk to a supermarket or shopping centre and we can chill and decide where we are going to go for the next seven weeks.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

If it is sunny and warm I quite like the look of Camping Oyambre Beach as the second stopping point but It is 40k away and does not look like it is a place where we could buy much fresh food so somewhere nearer to the ferry would be better.

Guest pelmetman
Not familiar with Santander port but I suspect you'll pass supermarkets on the way out, 40k is only 20 miles ish so I'd go to camping Oyambre ;-) ...............as for the rest of the 7 weeks I'd follow the weather, Northern Spain is by far the nicest part of Spain, but can be iffy in May :D ............

You could go the other way to Laredo. Laredo isaresort with an old bit and Santona across the estuary is interesting and quite historic too. We atayed here http://www.campingplayaregaton.com/en/#prettyPhoto[gl548176f24af54]/0/ with nice sea views and not far to town.

The area between Santander and Gijon is very nice, both on the coast and Inland. We have been there 6 times, we liked it so much but it's not called La Costa Verde for nothing.

Guest JudgeMental
Weather real good March, April and we usually are heading back home in May, weather real nice then....you would be better of heading straight for med and visiting northern coast on your way home.....as has been said its beuitiful but can be very wet! And out of main season not much open I should think, where the med is alive....

JudgeMental - 2014-12-05 9:34 AM

And out of main season not much open I should think, where the med is alive....

We've been at the beginning of May and all the interesting places are open. What sort of places did you have in mind? You have to bear in mind that this is not a permanent holiday place like the Med, it's where the Spanish go to miss the heat and avoid the foreigners who have taken over the south....sounds like UKIP doesn't it?

(lol)

Guest JudgeMental
Muswell - 2014-12-05 10:24 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-12-05 9:34 AM

And out of main season not much open I should think, where the med is alive....

We've been at the beginning of May and all the interesting places are open. What sort of places did you have in mind? You have to bear in mind that this is not a permanent holiday place like the Med, it's where the Spanish go to miss the heat and avoid the foreigners who have taken over the south....sounds like UKIP doesn't it?

(lol)

nowhere in particular..but you see post saying: "heading for Spain (mid winter) touring down want to spend a few weeks in france on the way. whats to do?" kinda thing. When to me the obvious answer is to not bother...But tour on the return leg when French weather has a chance of being better....

we had stunning weather in Northern Spain on 6 week trip to portugal years back.. but that was July/August

Thanks for the replies. Laredo as Muswell suggested looks good place to start. The next site we may go to after that looks like it might be in Portes, as it has been recommended to my other half. The only problem with that is there are two sites in Portes and we don't know which one to choose so I guess we will just have a look at both when we get there before we choose the one one fancy.

Thanks again

Cliffy

Guest JudgeMental
It can snow in northern spain in March...we know because we stopped on way to med in Navarre area and was shocked as to how cold it was....much colder then at home, then it started snowing *-)

We have spent many holidays in the North of Spain both with caravans and MH's. Always in Summer and even then had some poor weather on occasions. On top of all that you need the weather to see the beauty of the area in particular a trip up the cable car at Fuente De to the Aliva viewpoint. Most local campsites display the weather for Fuente De daily so you don't have a wasted journey.

On our last trip we crossed the mountains heading to Southern Spain via Madrid the road was ok for the MH just a few overhangs and the occasional meeting with a quarry lorry. The only down side to going in the summer is if you are into water sports as the rivers are often low at that time of year otherwise some great fun to be had.

The pic was taken from the campsite at Riano in the Picos

1393225346_Rianoviewfromsite(4).jpg.12d7c1cfa4ef95cdfb6c39a9906891de.jpg

JudgeMental - 2014-12-07 10:01 AM

It can snow in northern spain in March...we know because we stopped on way to med in Navarre area and was shocked as to how cold it was....much colder then at home, then it started snowing *-)

You have to think about the topography of Spain when you think about the weather. The northern coastal strip is mild and wet....like Cornwall I suppose.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/32022/Aviles-Gijon-Oviedo-Asturias-Spain But once you have gone South across the Cordillera Cantabrica you are on the high ground of the Meseta which is ******* hot in summer ,******** cold in winter and in the mid seasons it can be either. We had snow in Segovia in late May one year and then the next year mid June and 100km East it got up to 38C. Navarra is quite high, away from the sea and next to the Pyrenees.....draw your own conclusions.

terryW - 2014-12-07 11:19 AM

We have spent many holidays in the North of Spain both with caravans and MH's. Always in Summer and even then had some poor weather on occasions. On top of all that you need the weather to see the beauty of the area in particular a trip up the cable car at Fuente De to the Aliva viewpoint. Most local campsites display the weather for Fuente De daily so you don't have a wasted journey.

On our last trip we crossed the mountains heading to Southern Spain via Madrid the road was ok for the MH just a few overhangs and the occasional meeting with a quarry lorry. The only down side to going in the summer is if you are into water sports as the rivers are often low at that time of year otherwise some great fun to be had.

Lovely pic Terry. Is the camp site on the lake or higher up the slope?

PJay

PJay - 2014-12-07 6:00 PM

PJay

The pic was taken from our pitch high above the town. Though the mountains looks snow covered, they are not, that is the natural colour of the rock. We visited it in 2008 and all the facilities, trees and grass were new though the facilities could have been cleaner at the time we visited but I think they were just getting started.

terryW - 2014-12-07 6:10 PM

PJay

The pic was taken from our pitch high above the town. Though the mountains looks snow covered, they are not, that is the natural colour of the rock. We visited it in 2008 and all the facilities, trees and grass were new though the facilities could have been cleaner at the time we visited but I think they were just getting started.

We went through in early May after leaving mild weather on the coast. It was distinctly nippy, and there was nowhere to eat. The town is completely new, built when they flooded the old one for the reservoir.

Muswell - 2014-12-07 6:31 PM

terryW - 2014-12-07 6:10 PM

PJay

We went through in early May after leaving mild weather on the coast. It was distinctly nippy, and there was nowhere to eat. The town is completely new, built when they flooded the old one for the reservoir.

When we visited the site had a shop and restaurant both open. We didn't visit the town this being just an overnight stop.

Archived