south of France

tonyl101

Mike88 - 2014-12-08 5:54 PMI have tried the south of france several times in March and each time I have ended up in Spain due to appalling weather. The Camargue was mentioned in an earlier post in particular St Marie De La Mer. It's a very nice place to visit as long as you avoid the midge season. If you travel anywhere in France in March good weather cannot be guaranteed. My advice would be to go to Spain as the weather seems to improve markedly as soon as you cross the Pyrenees.
Agreed, March is early, one of the benefits of motorhoming is that you have a steering wheel, and France is a big place. We go to the south very often, 2 or 3 times a year. I'm never sure when the mistrale or whatever it's called in the SW strikes, it seems to happen both early and late some years. In which case inland is a good bet. There is a municipal in Monteux near Avignon we like and frequent under such conditions. As I said earlier, Narbonne is handy for Spain, except that I can't persuade my wife to go there, she's heard all the horror stories about Spain. March can be great, it's greener and fresher and not partched like mid-summer, but don't expect perfect weather.

rupert123 - 2014-12-09 10:58 AM

Show how different we all are. We reckon the Carmargue, as recommended by several on here, is one of the most boring places in France,

Just your opinion Henry, although we love hill walking in the Massif Central, we also find the Carmargue very relaxing, we can spend hours watching the wildlife, find deserted beaches just for the two of us and it's still warm enough for a dip in the sea in October. The magic of the place keeps drawing us back.

Perhaps it's me, but whenever I think of the south of France St Tropez and that neck of the woods is what comes to mind, I wonder if that's where the OP has in mind ?

Did Agde once, drove round it for half a day thinking we we'd arrived in Salou by mistake, ;-) then buggered off to Cathar country for a few weeks far from the madding crowds, which was bliss.

Guest JudgeMental
Robinhood - 2014-12-09 12:39 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-12-06 4:15 PM

How do you cook a flamingo?

....depends if you like it pink.

;-)

lots of recipes via google + amazon book:

"How to Boil a Flamingo: And 40 other lessons in the lost art of being a lady: A Lady's Miscellany of Redundant Virtuosities"

dusting down me old fishing rods for next road trip......

Joe90 - 2014-12-09 12:37 PM

Perhaps it's me, but whenever I think of the south of France St Tropez and that neck of the woods is what comes to mind, I wonder if that's where the OP has in mind ?

Did Agde once, drove round it for half a day thinking we we'd arrived in Salou by mistake, ;-) then buggered off to Cathar country for a few weeks far from the madding crowds, which was bliss.

Cathar country, fantastic place, we to spend some time here and never overcrowded. The small village of Minerva, which rarely gets a mention, is one of our favourite places with lots of easy walking both in the gorges and the cliff paths.

lennyhb - 2014-12-09 12:13 PM

Show how different we all are. We reckon the Carmargue, as recommended by several on here, is one of the most boring places in France,

Just your opinion Henry, although we love hill walking in the Massif Central, we also find the Carmargue very relaxing, we can spend hours watching the wildlife, find deserted beaches just for the two of us and it's still warm enough for a dip in the sea in October. The magic of the place keeps drawing us back.

Wildlife, well yes I can see that, more species of midge, which all bite than, anywhere else in Europe.

rupert123 - 2014-12-09 2:54 PM

Wildlife, well yes I can see that, more species of midge, which all bite than, anywhere else in Europe.

My wife has refused to go back to the Camargue, she was bitten so badly by all sorts of flying things.

rupert123 - 2014-12-09 2:54 PM

Must like you Henry, we had a couple of bites this year none at all last year. (lol)

For those that do not know there's a new kid on the block, the Tiger Mosquito which is getting the French health authorities in a bit of a tizz, perhaps trying to avoid hot spots for some is a good idea, especially folk who have bad reactions, like my missus who we thought was going to end up in a French hospital earlier this year after a really bad reaction, but we do not know if it was one of these new Asian buggers.

This new threat can apparently pass on dengue fever and chikungunya fever to humans, and pass on a few nice things to Fido, none of which sound like a barrel of laughs, all of the areas where these have been found are shown in red and were mostly in the southern part of France. :-(

155678265_TigerMosquitoareas.jpg.60c58eb27fbcde9364f009c44c0d32b3.jpg

Archived