How much solar is 120amp

Jonboymentalhealth

Panels vary but you might expect a maximum of 6 amps from a 120amp 12v panel on a sunny day, much less when it is cloudy. Your controller should switch the output between batteries. I have mine weighted to the habitation battery as the engine starter battery is charged first when driving. If you are parked up for a while it would probably be prudent to select 50/50. Remember that, provided that you are not in shade, the panel will be producing all day.

It's hard to be 100% correct as you give no clue as to how much you use, but I agree with Lenny, it sounds as thou 120w will be overkill.

We use a 80w panel nowadays, but on a previous van had a 30w panel which easlily maintained the batteries when van wasn't being used.

I have a 120 watt panel fitted to one 110 leisure battery with a 12 volt charger connected from the leisure to the engine battery which keeps it topped up when the leisure is full.

March to November i have wild camped with ample supply of electricity.

In the summer the battery has charged fully by midday.

bigger the better

Running the usual pump Tv led lights and occasionally the heater.

Two batteries would be brilliant.

Solar panel regulators might not be as clever as the better MH mains charging systems, and they appear to maintain a charging votage of 14 volts or more - although of course only during daylight hours.

So there could be some disadvantage to have far too much solar panel, because your fully charged battery might be subjected to over 14 volts for longer than is good for it. If you only had one small wet leisure battery or if you are using a starter batter as a leisure battery, it might end up gassing off and needing water.

However I would guess this is unlikly to be a practical problem, especially if you have a sealed leisure battery or batteries which won't need the electrolyte topping up with water to maintain levels.

I have 130w of sola panels and two Exide G80 leisure batteries and no problems so far. Lots of people seem to go for 200w of panels on bigger MHs these days

Colin Leake - 2014-12-10 2:36 PM

When I read your thread title I was impressed. 120amp I thought I'd better have a look at this but you only ment 120 watts. Bit of a let down that.

If the disappointment you are experiencing is profound and especially if there is any possibility that you will start to feel suicidal, contact Samaritans.

Alternatively you could man-up and accept that it was merely a typo :-D

StuartO - 2014-12-10 3:51 PM

When I read your thread title I was impressed. 120amp I thought I'd better have a look at this but you only ment 120 watts. Bit of a let down that.

If the disappointment you are experiencing is profound and especially if there is any possibility that you will start to feel suicidal, contact Samaritans.

Calm down. Lets not thet this thread go off the rails. :-D

StuartO - 2014-12-10 3:51 PM

I think I'll ask the Caravan Club, they'll be able to help no doubt.

The electrical equation, I=V÷R, will answer most of your questions. Our van is equiped with 120watt panel, connected to 2 times 110amp leisure batts. Control via battery mate charges vehicle battery, when leisures reach 80%. Seems to work very well over the last 2 years of touring, 210 days each year, 70% off mains.

Archived