"Running" van when not in use

candapack

I know it's advisable to run your van for a few miles every few weeks. In our case, that involves organising neighbours to move their cars, and hoping no-one else takes their places while we're out. For an hour or so driving, it's a bit of a faff.

Is it any good just letting the engine idle for an hour, maybe running the van up and down the drive a few times.

Or might that do more harm than good?

My diesel engine takes ages and ages to warm up unless you actually drive the vehicle - as long as half an hour to reach running temperature - but I suppose as long as you do run it for long enough to warm it up properly doing so would to more good than harm.

My MH always started promptly every time, even after sitting a while in winter, but last year it hesitated and spluttered before getting going after a bit longer than usual being ignored. It was on an EHU so battery was OK, just the engine not wanting to start immediately. It was cold but not freezing at the time.

I will be running mine regularly and frequently from now on. Fortunately I can take it for a drive easily enough.

Letting an engine tick over at start up is bad as it is running with low oil pressure leading to premature wear, You should set off on your journey as soon as the revs settle to get it up to speed. Just pootling up and down the drive wont give the suspension or brake parts much of a work out either.

But moving it a bit may prevent the tyres developing flatish spots and prevent the brakes seizing up.

Just opinion, not gospel.

On the few occasions that our van stood for more than a couple of weeks or so, I'd then taking it for a blast around the bypass(20-30mins)and when I've mentioned that on here before, a few said that even that duration wasn't really enough and that it was possibly doing more harm than good...? :-S

...it didn't stop me from doing it though, as in my mind, at least it kept things "moving"... ;-)

I take my van for a run out every few weeks, on the other hand a bloke who parks his van next to mine never comes near it for months and months on end. I did actually bump into him the other week, when I mentioned I'd been to have my cambelt changed, his reply was "what's a cambelt" ignorance is bliss perhaps.

Joe90 - 2014-12-10 9:46 AM

when I mentioned I'd been to have my cambelt changed, his reply was "what's a cambelt" ignorance is bliss perhaps.

Ignorance is bliss indeed for the person who subsequently buys such a motorhome after it has been owned and 'used' by such a technically challenged man.

Sorry for the diversion to the OP's question. We do use the van for at least half an hour every two weeks or so in the winter months. In these cases, if we are not going out in the van to use it as a motorhome, we use it as a car substitute. The main aim is to give everything a good stir-up; engine, gearbox, brakes etc.

There's no need to run the engine at all, just make sure the vehicle battery is connected to a smart charger and it'll always fire up first time, letting it idle for an hour will drain the battery as it won't charge at tickover, as well as filling your exhaust system with condensation that won't burn off as it wont get hot enough, thus causing it to rust. You can leave a vehicle like this for many months with no adverse effect ( I've got seven so they don't all get run very often, but they're all fine with being stood)

markh1 - 2014-12-10 10:05 AM

There's no need to run the engine at all, just make sure the vehicle battery is connected to a smart charger and it'll always fire up first time, letting it idle for an hour will drain the battery as it won't charge at tickover, as well as filling your exhaust system with condensation that won't burn off as it wont get hot enough, thus causing it to rust. You can leave a vehicle like this for many months with no adverse effect ( I've got seven so they don't all get run very often, but they're all fine with being stood)

Bad advice, left standing for long periods, Thrust release bearings seize, Clutch plates stick, Clutch drive shafts rust, Brake discs & Drums rust, Pads & Shoes seize, also most of the oil coating will drain down the bores causing excessive wear when next started.

lennyhb - 2014-12-10 10:52 AM

markh1 - 2014-12-10 10:05 AM

Bad advice, left standing for long periods, Thrust release bearings seize, Clutch plates stick, Clutch drive shafts rust, Brake discs & Drums rust, Pads & Shoes seize, also most of the oil coating will drain down the bores causing excessive wear when next started.

Although I agree that running at tickover is a no no, I do agree with lenny, that leaving a vehicle standing for "many months" is a bad idea (especially if just out in the elements).

...Just because something will start and hasn't rusted away from under you, doesn't necessarily mean it's all "fine".. :-S

Just think about it..what do all the dealers do, I cant see them starting each van and driving it around for half hour, think of the aggro that would cause when they have a hundred vans in stock

what harm is it doing, resting on their forecourts, flat spots on tyres, rusty exhausts, stick clutches, and yet they still eventually sell them..would you buy one that has sat around for six months?

yet , there are a lot of motorhomers who will buy a "bargain, only 6000 on the speedo, and 5 year old model, "

Is such a vehicle a bargain, ? Who do you beleive, those who say it must be in constant use, ? Are they right?

Where is the evidence?.

Tonyg3nwl

There's a 2010 Burstner Aviano on ebay at the moment.....

The proud boast is - 'only 700 miles!' - that's not a typo - possibly the most off-putting statement you could make as far as I'm concerned.

It's not just the base vehicle I'd be worried about, think of all the habitation components that haven't been run during that period [if ever] - give me a van in regular use any day.

In fact, not only do I run the van out during the winter months, but the heating, fridge etc get fired up occasionally too. The whole package needs use, not just the base vehicle.

"Bad advice, left standing for long periods, Thrust release bearings seize, Clutch plates stick, Clutch drive shafts rust, Brake discs & Drums rust, Pads & Shoes seize, also most of the oil coating will drain down the bores causing excessive wear when next started."

Thrust release bearing don't sieze, they are lubricated, the inside of the engine doesn't dry out!, clutch plates don't stick on modern vehicles, maybe on your old A35! whats a clutch drive shaft? Brake discs and drums will rust in 24 hours of wet conditions, does no harm at all, the oil in the bores drains down in 15 minutes (which is why you check your oil while the vehicle has been run, but switched off for 10-15mins - not cold)

Pads rarely seize as they arent in contact with the disc, if you're worried about your handbrake seizing, park with it in gear instead

I build race bikes and they can stand for months without use with no problems at all, as can vans on dealers forecourts

markh1 - 2014-12-10 12:26 PM

I build race bikes and they can stand for months without use with no problems at all, as can vans on dealers forecourts

But Mark, I'd hazard a guess that, as "race bikes", they'd get a helluva lot more periodic maintenance, strip-downs and general fettling ', than your average MH would get.

Once a MH has left the factory, the most some can look forwards to is a basic service/look over at MOT time(whereas bikes tend to get stripped and checked over, just for fun of it..;-) )

I also doubt that, unlike most MHs, they just get parked up on your driveway after a session, still covered in crud and then left there, out in all weathers, until the next "race"....?

The pistons in the brake callipers on my old Yam Exup, the Suzi Bandit and even the Honda 1000F to a lesser degree, would all "seize" and drag if they weren't cosseted and/or periodically stripped down...

(..even my mower gets thoroughly cleaned down and put away in the shed for winter (lol) )

..and having to "prematurely" change brake discs on MHs that have severely rusted due lack of use, is not an uncommon occurrence.(.. although they had plenty of thickness left,mine had to be swapped at 20k(ish)and they were a rusty, seriously pitted mess... :-S )

Guest pelmetman

I take my van out the garage at least once a fortnight on average, sometimes I leave it to tick over for half an hour or so, sometimes I don't...........and sometimes I take it for a spin to give the suspension and brakes a work out................and given that we have third world roads around here...........the springs get a proper workout *-) .........

On balance I prefer to let it tick over...... as premature wear is not an issue for most camper vans ;-) ............

pepe63

Much less total maintenance than you'd imagine, strip downs are a PITA and only happen if somethings broken, but maintenance is a reflection of use in season not of being on stands for months over winter

I amazed that anyone could pay a fortune for a motorhome, leave it covered in crap and uncovered and then run it round on salt covered winter roads for 30 minutes before leaving it to corrode again

I guessed people would look after their investment, waxoyl it from new, wash it properly when they've used it and garage it

It's not just the oily bits that suffer the tyres need a run as well. Not just to deal with flat spots but too ensure the chemicals and inhibitors in the rubber get distributed. If you don't some of the inhibitors that reduce UV degregation migrate away form the surface which will lead to earlier surface cracking than would be the case if the vehicle was given a regular run. I can't remember which company it is but one gives a recommended max tyre life of 8 years if the vehicle is in regular use but only five if it is not.

We take ours out about once a month to a garden centre about 20 miles away. Not a wasted trip that way because there's always something we need and as a bonus they have a very large car park for easy parking.

markh1 - 2014-12-10 2:21 PM

pepe63

Much less total maintenance than you'd imagine, strip downs are a PITA and only happen if somethings broken, but maintenance is a reflection of use in season not of being on stands for months over winter

I amazed that anyone could pay a fortune for a motorhome, leave it covered in crap and uncovered and then run it round on salt covered winter roads for 30 minutes before leaving it to corrode again

I guessed people would look after their investment, waxoyl it from new, wash it properly when they've used it and garage it

I think the word "investment" and motorhome don't really go to together. :-S But thinking about it, your correct, running it up the road on salt covered roads at this time of year seems at best ill advised, even though I do take mine a run every so often, I just wonder how many vanners get their vans out of storage compounds to give them a work out every few weeks, very few I'd guess, I wonder if their running gear is all seized up come the spring. As for tyre life my Michelin Campers are nine years old, at the last MOT I specifically asked the tester about them, he said they were in perfect condition, guess I better bin them now after reading this thread. :-(

Always give it a little exercise, this is as true for motorhomes as it is for caravans and even garden trailers. Your baby needs exercising to keep everything moving and also the habitation aired, it's good for the tyres, the engine, the fuel tank and keeps the batteries topped up. We've just taken Herbie for a trip to the garden centre today and back for these reasons and we quite like the short trip anyway! He's now back in storage until the next time which will probably be between Xmas and New Year for a day trip somewhere!

Mine is parked at Alicante airport since end of November, so no chance of a quick run. Will return in April next year and I expect, as this year, it will start on first turn of the button. It does have a solar panel that keep the starter and leisure batteries fully charged. No problems with brakes, clutch etc I just do a quick oil, water, etc, check and then off we go. It can sit on the drive at home and gets the same treatment and always starts first time.

Not sure of any benefits in driving it round the block?????

Archived