What's attractive about Spain in January/February?

StuartO

Not done Spain yet, mainly because it's too hot in Summer and we ike France and Germany. But quite a few people seem to head off to Spain in a MH early in the year, so what's the attraction - or is it mainly about escaping from UK weather to somewhere/anywhere less cold and wet?

Does everyone head for the SE corner of Spain or are there other parts of Spain worth visiting that early in the year?

If you don't want to use scruffy car parks or ad hoc wild spots, are the sites cheap enough at that time of year for a fairly long period of residence and/or touring or do the site costs start to mount up? What's the average cost of sites per night if you stay for a week or two?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southern Spain for the weather. The north is lovely , when it gets to hot in the south.

Use ACSI for sites, as not so many aires in Spain.

Many sites offer a discount for longer stays, always worth asking

Any where from Valencia south should be warm It's also cheaper than France ! Have'nt been to Germany , so can't compare.

PJay

Not actually camped in Spain, but have been doing some research on medium to longer stays, i.e 4 weeks to 4 months.

There's certainly very good value to be had, (surprise surprise) particularly looking at 1 month +. Everybody will of course have a different take on good value but I found plenty of sites offering indoor pools, saunas & gyms, (important to me) for under €10 per night.

Weather comments obviously best left to those who've been or better still there now, you jammy beggars :D

Martyn

Guest pelmetman

Most of Europe's OAP's head for the Costa Blanca as it tends to get the best weather in winter...

Over 90 nights 10 quid a night + leccy 30p KW for a fully serviced pitch in the centre of Calpe, which is 5 mins walk from the prom B-) ................so cheaper than most CL's but with quality facilities ;-) ...........

Although due to the Germans booking up the pitches well in advance, you do need to book early for certain sites

:-| ................It's still possible to tour round with the ACIS card which brings the cost down.........along with the cheap eating out, cheap wine and free sun whats not to like B-)................alternatively I could spend the wife's winter heating allowance on heating in the cold wet UK 8-) ..................

Guest pelmetman
markh1 - 2014-12-10 9:59 AM

Unlike Scotland its warm sunny and cheap!

It's not like that even in the summer (lol) .............

Guest JudgeMental
just look at weather reports...A bit of rain now and again but still days when its up around 20 Deg in December..it drops in Jan/feb then picks up again. plus it's real cheap to live and better than here in the winter/spring!

No one has attempted to answer the most basic question in my mind, what does it cost all in to enjoy 3 months sittingn on a crowded spanish site in middle of winter, taking into consideration travel costs, insurance, medical, rescue package insurance, site fees, food and pitch fees and any other expenses.

I know there are lots who do it, but I suspect my budget wouldnt stretch that far..

yes there are savings to be made at home, no phone bill, water electricity and gas savings etc, .

what is the fundamental attraction that I must be missing out on.

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2014-12-10 11:38 AM

No one has attempted to answer the most basic question in my mind, what does it cost all in to enjoy 3 months sittingn on a crowded spanish site in middle of winter, taking into consideration travel costs, insurance, medical, rescue package insurance, site fees, food and pitch fees and any other expenses.

I know there are lots who do it, but I suspect my budget wouldnt stretch that far..

yes there are savings to be made at home, no phone bill, water electricity and gas savings etc, .

what is the fundamental attraction that I must be missing out on.

tonyg3nwl.ß

Have you been to Spain? I have yet to find a "crowded Spanish site" and as there are so many options you just move on. As far as the ongoing costs are concerned you need them anyway and are paid on an annual basis so no added expenditure. It is very cheap to eat out in Spain which is an attraction.

As far as the overall cost are, excluding travel cost, I certainly do not spend the same as I would at home.

The "fundamental attraction". ----- at the moment I just look out the window and all I see is misery, rain, cold and windy with snow and ice on the way. Yes it cools down in the evening in Spain but a jacket sorts that out. Can't wait until March when I go back for another two months. :-D

Hired a villa for a month in Turre a few years back in early January, days were mostly sunny and warm, but nothing could have prepared us for how cold it was in the evening, sat round the only source of heating which was a bottled gas heater wasn't a barrel of laughs, in fact it was bloody miserable.

Hired a car to see the white villages and endless plastic polytunnels, and went to a campsite just to check out the scene for future reference, it was full of old Brits with skin that resembled very old tanned leather, but they seemed to have a bit of community spirit going on there, but would I embark on that journey from the UK mid winter by road would be a bridge too far for me personally.

I'm currently looking at flights to Faro, but I'll make sure any accommodation I book is adequately heated this time. ;-)

Off on Sunday for ten weeks,8 mtr.van Portsmouth Bilbao, delux cabin,£800.00 return, one and half tanks diesel each way £150.00max.camp charge daily vary from ten to twenty euros per night, dozens restaurants offer three course meals of top quality for six to ten euros pp, some inc. half bottle wine.

Groceries cost about twenty per cent less than UK.travel ins.for two people £204.00 90 days plus up to 180 days total in one year.

Van ins. Recovery 4ton van,no extra for long stay.

For this we get eight hrs. warm sunshine most days, coolish nights Jan.Feb.and we mix with a lovely crowd of people inc Dutch,Belgys,German, plus a few others inc.obviously Brits,

This is our eleventh winter in Spain or Portugal,God help us when we can't go as we cant stand the cold wet raw winters in UK.

Don't forget house ins.long stay cover.

Unfortunately,touring in Spain on campsites is now very expensive,they don't want one nighters.so it's stay put or wildcamping!

Go for it if you fancy it.

Quote "No one has attempted to answer the most basic question in my mind,"

This is what I believe it would roughly cost depending on your life style

Mileage............................3000 mile @ 28mpg...........107gal @ £6 gal.....£640.........514€

Camping 60days x 10 € .................................................................................................600€

Eating out 30days x 20€....................................................................................................600€

Miscs drinks snacks etc. 60days x 12€ ..........................720€

Total ....................................................................2434€ /60days 40€/day or £33

remember this is a rough costing could be more or less.

You can reduce these cost by eating in more as food is cheap ..and try a bit of wild camping lots do it.

In fact we went to Cabo de Gata Almeria week before last for a break wilding, easy if you know where and some interesting scenery.

The weather has to be important ,its sunny blue skies today 10 in the shade and 30 in the sun and has been for some time now ,forecast rain this weekend possibly, with sunshine all next week.

As has been mentioned the evenings can be cold but no colder then the UK. You will be surprised how many Brits are out here at the moment.

For health cover use EHIC cards most foreigners do,not sure about recovery as its compulsory to have it here so included in my premium.

The outdoor life style is fantastic and you wont need to go shopping to pass the time of day when you can just relax and soak up the sun . I think once you bite the bullet and do it you will want to come back again and again.IMO

Have to say Im a mite biased as Ive been here 17 yrs now.

Brian

742378433_PlayalaCarolina.jpg.a7c7be923313f57b6198c5be1bf21470.jpg

IMGP0001.JPG.39c3caf6d4f1a6b31690d494ef5303dd.JPG

Thanks to those who attempted to give costings,..I havent any idea what it costs to stay at home, but I appreciate the responses.

a few years ago, we had a 10 day new year break at a hotel, on bb basis, with friends sharing a hire car, staying at Benalmadena (spelling?)..drove past a number of campsites and was horrified at crowded conditions, ..if that was representative, then I wonder about "safety in numbers", maybe it is not like that these days....cant recall the costs, but obviously prices are different now.

many years ago, we spent our honeymoon in spain, at Camping Albatros, Barcelona,..probably no longer in existence, but that was 1962..things are no doubt different today

tonyg3nwl

Having done Spain for a good few years for long periods, albeit in summer I would offer a daily cost of around 80 euros as a ball park. That includes ferries, insurance, some tolls, sites, food and entertainment. However, you can 'credit' what you are saving by not being at home..

Sites will be full if they are popular, and ACSI will be costing 18 euros per night. Many are booked a year ahead and watch out for those who 'always have the same pitch every year'. There are more of them than you would believe. As mentioned ask the site if they will do a better deal for direct payment, most do, as long as you stay for more than 1 month.

Downsides??? Short days so you need to plan some evening entertainment. It also cools down rapidly so you need some form of heating. Getting drunk is not really a good idea even if booze is cheap. Some sites can be windy for long'ish periods so you need to protect your outfit. It can rain and be very heavy, but does dry up. From talking to many winter campers it appears the main gripe is overcrowding, and cliques, by our EU cousins and Brits. Fighting over washing machines can be 'fun'. Ironically the sites are often quieter in the summer months so you can 'expand' your area into the adjoining pitches etc.

It can be a good way to go, as long as you realise it is not the same as a summer holiday. The other thing to look out for is the fact you are leaving your home in the UK unoccupied in winter months. Do you need to keep heating on etc.

We have a mh, but due to work!! Can only take shorter brakes, hence we use our apartment in Almoradi, about 40 mins south of Alicante. We were there 3 weeks ago and the top temp was 24 deg. We're going again mid January and its normally 21-22 deg. We use a beach at LaMarina and we usually see loads of MH's enjoying free camping and the sun. Very pleasant. The only time we have found it wet is in March, the Spanish say it has to rain sometime. We did take the MH in October after visiting the LeBouget MH show, temperatures are better than France at that time . ( France also being my favourite) We stayed a couple of days in the apartment and the rest in the MH, not staying on any sites, with no problems what so ever. Enjoy. May / June is a great time to go to Spain.

Dave225 - 2014-12-10 4:17 PM

Sites will be full if they are popular, and ACSI will be costing 18 euros per night. Many are booked a year ahead and watch out for those who 'always have the same pitch every year'. There are more of them than you would believe. As mentioned ask the site if they will do a better deal for direct payment, most do, as long as you stay for more than 1 month.

Downsides??? Short days so you need to plan some evening entertainment. It also cools down rapidly so you need some form of heating. Getting drunk is not really a good idea even if booze is cheap. Some sites can be windy for long'ish periods so you need to protect your outfit. It can rain and be very heavy, but does dry up. From talking to many winter campers it appears the main gripe is overcrowding, and cliques, by our EU cousins and Brits. Fighting over washing machines can be 'fun'. Ironically the sites are often quieter in the summer months so you can 'expand' your area into the adjoining pitches etc.

Sounds ghastly. I'd rather be at home in my nice warm workshop, music in the background, and save my travelling for when the days are longer. :-D

Muswell - 2014-12-10 4:34 PM

Sounds ghastly. I'd rather be at home in my nice warm workshop, music in the background, and save my travelling for when the days are longer. :-D

I would agree with you. Plus my wife would complain if we had to share the same small space day, day out. In summer we can sprawl around the pitch. I also gather that UK television is no longer available unless you have some gizmo or other. Some work, some don't. However many do do it, and enjoy it very much so to each their own. Personally I think I would rather just fly off for a week or two of hotel pampering after Christmas and get some hot sun, then come home to prepare for summer.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2014-12-10 5:12 PM

I would agree with you. Plus my wife would complain if we had to share the same small space day, day out. In summer we can sprawl around the pitch. I also gather that UK television is no longer available unless you have some gizmo or other. Some work, some don't. However many do do it, and enjoy it very much so to each their own. Personally I think I would rather just fly off for a week or two of hotel pampering after Christmas and get some hot sun, then come home to prepare for summer.

But to be fair Dave you do seem to like the extremes of weather :D .................

Spain in the summer and Scotland in the Winter 8-) ...................

Me and the Mrs like a nice ambient temperature ;-) ..........plus if you pick a site with marked pitch boundaries then folk can't sprawl, and the sites not crowded.......just full :-> .....

pelmetman - 2014-12-10 6:36 PM

But to be fair Dave you do seem to like the extremes of weather :D .................

Me and the Mrs like a nice ambient temperature ;-) ..........plus if you pick a site with marked pitch boundaries then folk can't sprawl, and the sites not crowded.......just full :-> .....

Don't keep encouraging 'em Dave, you'll have 'em all down here.

pelmetman - 2014-12-10 5:36 PM

I remember some of your pictures you posted showing one of your encampments,

looked like you'd set up a refugee camp,

amazing what you managed to fit on one of those miniscule Spanish site pitches, you certainly looked like you'd managed to sprawl..

Guest pelmetman
T8LEY - 2014-12-10 8:54 PM

pelmetman - 2014-12-10 6:36 PM

Don't keep encouraging 'em Dave, you'll have 'em all down here.

It's alright Trevor ;-) ...................we'll be heading down there soon.............that should scare a few folk away(lol) ........

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-12-10 11:08 PM

pelmetman - 2014-12-10 5:36 PM

I remember some of your pictures you posted showing one of your encampments,

looked like you'd set up a refugee camp,

amazing what you managed to fit on one of those miniscule Spanish site pitches, you certainly looked like you'd managed to sprawl..

That pic was Lo Monte where the pitches are generous...........Calpe pitches are smaller but our mobile council estate is very adaptable ;-) ...............

pelmetman - 2014-12-11 8:37 AM

That pic was Lo Monte where the pitches are generous...........Calpe pitches are smaller but our mobile council estate is very adaptable ;-) ...............

Yeah..and still you have the gall to sneer at folk who pre-book their sites and whom according to you, get herded into rows, in their compounds...

I don't care how "cheap" it is, you wouldn't be able pay me enough to live like that for 3 months.. :-S

98623444_DaleFarmDave.JPG.b8e97ab16872c4a3c06a96fe2d781eec.JPG

Archived