Cobra Alarm

Ninian

I have the 4615 fitted which is supposed to be specifically for motorhomes. What makes it specific I don't know. It only has 2 internal sensors and a bonnet switch. (I believe habitation door switch is an optional item). So do car alarms, so what makes it any different I don't know apart from the price. To disable the internal sensors when you are inside is a phaff if you have it linked to the vehicles remote, much easier if you have separate remote (you can lock the doors normally and not set alarm, whereas with vehicle remote you automatically set alarm when you lock doors).

I would not recommend it but maybe the installer went for an easy installation.

I've had the cobra alarm fitted new on my last 3 motor homes and I'm very happy with it, also got sensor fitted to hab door as well. Very easy to isolate interior sensors when you are in or if you go out and leave the dog on board. Switch ignition off and within 5 seconds press led on dash until long flash then set alarm, you or the dog can move about inside with all the doors alarmed.

John.

I had Cobra alarms fitted to my previous two motorhomes. Seemed reliable and gave no problems, except that it was a faff deactivating the internal motion sensors if we wanted to set the alarm at night whilst sleeping in the motorhome. Now I have an Autowatch unit fitted to my Hobby. Easy to set the alarm with the internal motion sensors disabled for night-time occupation. With the Autowatch, the downside I have discovered is the relatively high standby current drain, even when not set. The Autowatch was drawing 60 mA from the starter battery. This meant that it drained most of the starter battery when the vehicle was not used for more than 3 weeks (winter storage). Not a problem if you have access to a hook-up or fitted with a good solar panel. There are alarm units that do have a much lower standby drain current, and this is a question I will ask the next time.

Archived