Difference between Chipping & Mapping ?

Spadge

As neither a mechanical or electrically minded person would someone explain in plain non tech language the difference between a Re-Mapped diesel engine and a Chipped one. Can I use either / or on my 1998 2.8TD Iveco diesel and what are the plus's & minus's if any ?

Chipping is putting a device between the vehicle's ecu (brain) and the engine, or placing a new "chip" into the ecu itself, and fools it into raising the fuel pressure to give more power. It can be taken off and used on another vehicle.(with a similar engine)

Re-mapping is changing the actual computer programme in the ecu to alter the way it instructs the engine to run. This is done by plugging a laptop into the vehicle and resetting the parameters.

This takes time and should be backed up by testing the vehicle before and after on a rolling road. This cannot be unplugged so if you are not happy the process has to reversed.

Manufacturers are chasing emissions targets and so may not set up for power, (bhp or torque) and so there is a market for "improving" the engine. Both systems work best on turbo engines, especially diesels.

I had it done on a performance car and the results were very positive.

But re-mapping needs an expert or you may end up worse off than before, re-chipping you can do yourself.

Sorry Bill but have to disagree very slightly.

Chipping is as you say, replacing the chip in the ECU

Mapping is again as you say, writing a new map to your existing ECU.

BUT the addition of a device between the sensors and ECU is normally referred to as a 'Plug In' device. These often only fool the original ECU into thinking that it is running at different conditions to what it actually is and is typically the least technical of the three. See this Link for a typical installation.

Keith.

As far as I know you cannot chip or re map a 1998 Fiat 2.8 Turbo, as it does not have an ECU controlled fuel injection system. To get more power you need to be able to manipulate through the ECU the injector opening time before TDC and the duration of the fuel injection. Which is only really relevant to diesels with a common rail system such as the post 2006 models.

If I'm wrong I'm sure Nick will put me right. :D

Thanks very much for the info gentlemen, the question was bought about by a conversation that I couldn't get to grips with, one chap had had his Diesel chipped and swore by it but it was on a fairly modern car..........I think 8-) I had never come across Re-Mapping until a query on this forum. Thanks again.

Archived