My TV set up in Spain, will it work

Fionadb1

RIGHT! As a newbie, I think I have this right, please can anyone confirm I am on the right track.

I have organised "Easy MIFI" which will enable fast connection and no data restrictions. I have all my user info and passwords for Sky, Iplayer, 4OD etc. I will be organising a proxy server. Then methinks I will be in business, on iPad and laptop. A good plan? Or a waste of time!? Thanks so much. :$

Had to look it up as I had not heard of it. All I can see from their website is that it will cost 7 euros per day for 1GB of data. Do not know if that is good or not, but looks expensive to me if you wish to watch a lot of tv.

Personally we find that having no TV is not a great loss, as most of the programmes are dross, or repeats. We usually download al the old TV series before we go, or take a PVR recorder.which we have recorded various programmes on. For using a laptop we get a internet card from the site which is about 20 euros permonth for unlimited access. Although slow, it allows us to do all we need for e mails, and browse the UK news etc.

Guest pelmetman
We just tune into the local Spanish TV stations, there's usually a couple of channels showing English language programs ;-) ................I also set up my cheapo Aldi sat system to get English Language news prog and the god channel :D ..............

Fiona - if you are hoping to get fast wifi on a spanish campsite then I think you will generally be disappointed.

One of the few easy access internet tv sites is filmon.com but you need a fastish connection to watch. For Sky you need an 80 cm satellite dish and access via your sky box to the Astra 2 southern beam for anything south of the Loire Valley. Also not sure if you will get BBC I organised a proxy server last January for our trip and access was blocked! BBC work very hard to prevent use outside the UK.

As pelmetman says - try the spanish programmes or point your satellite dish at Astra 1 which has BBC World (I think)

Basically we use the internet for radio and news but have long since given up on anything resembling home TV. The weather shoudl be good so enjoy the oranges :-D

Fiona

One other point. As I understand it, none of the UK "on demand" services are available via a satellite dish outside the UK. Definitely not available on the internet unless you find a proxy server that is not blocked. We paid for Nord VPN but it didn't work, still it was only £8 for three months. My sister lives in southern Germany and can still receive all the UK freesat programmes on a 90 cm dish but no on demand programmes have ever been available to them this way.

On the move in a motorhome we have found the satellite dish the most reliable way of watching any TV and as I said use a local internet connection for reading news and listening to UK radio.

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-12-18 4:04 PM

. My sister lives in southern Germany and can still receive all the UK freesat programmes on a 90 cm dish but no on demand programmes have ever been available to them this way

When we were in Spain we had a UK VPN configured on a DD-WRT router which was connected to our Spanish ADSL router.

Turned the WiFi off on the Spanish router and on On the DD-WRT one and all devices will think they're in the UK.

Sky+ on demand, Internet radio, phones, tablets and laptops all worked for UK services.

derek500 - 2014-12-18 9:44 PM

Matrix Meanderer - 2014-12-18 4:04 PM

. My sister lives in southern Germany and can still receive all the UK freesat programmes on a 90 cm dish but no on demand programmes have ever been available to them this way

When we were in Spain we had a UK VPN configured on a DD-WRT router which was connected to our Spanish ADSL router.

Turned the WiFi off on the Spanish router and on On the DD-WRT one and all devices will think they're in the UK.

Sky+ on demand, Internet radio, phones, tablets and laptops all worked for UK services.

Or she could just get this https://hola.org/

Dave

Fiona, I agree with you that some of it sound a bit technical and somewhat over my head as well. I have found, more by luck than design, a mobile broadband MiFi from Knowhow. (Bought it from Computer World). I pay £16 @ month for 5Gb. It gives very quick and secure internet connection, which I can't get from the site WiFi. With judicious use I can also get British TV programmes but for more TV hours I would really need 10 Gb (about £20 @ month). They are downloaded from an app called Filmon. Have a look at a letter in Sept '14 MMM (p13) about this.

John

Archived