Pensacola to Benicassim is it worth the drive time

Zydeco Joe

We are on camping Eden at the moment and are thinking of going a bit further south to either Benicassim or even to camping Mon Mar in Moncofa.Will it be worth the drive time as we have to be back on the tunnel 12th Jan and like to take our time driving no long slogs etc.

Camping Eden is OK only half full not many Brits much less than last Dec.Weather today has been nice and forcast is good.Great sunset at this point in time 5.30 local time.

Best site details please.

Don't know about Benicassim but would not bother with Moncofa- staff were distinctly unhelpful the last time we were there and there is nothing about the site. Kiko Park would be a much better bet in our view or Camping Marjal near Alicante- if you have transport other than van- or if you are staying long enough to hire a car.

have a good trip

Bob

Benicassim, would not bother personaly.As Bob said Marjal is Ok (can get brit TV) but you need transport, if you want to get of site Kiko at Oliva can be very windy, hence the kite flying there.How about Calpe? Easy acces to town/beach plenty to do and flat! Would be good at Xmas,Plenty going on. There is a Camper park Oddesea (think it is in the aires book.) as well as Calpe Mar (Acsi)

PJay

rolandrat - 2014-12-17 6:59 PM

I would recommend Villasol in Benidorm, the drive down from Eden isn't to far and you would be on the doorstep to some good entertainment. The facilities on site are of a high standard and you can plug into UK television if you have an Analogue TV station.

Villasol do not accept doggies so could be limiting however there are other excellent sites in Benidorm which is alive all year and does not shut down like much of Spain

I would not bother with Monofa, its a ghost town. We were there a couple of weeks ago only about 6 vans on site plus the full time Spanish in the bungalows at the bottom end. Food not good either on site.

Carry on to Azahar in Benicassim or try Benisol in Benidorm. Kiko Park is OK.

Zydeco Joe - 2014-12-17 9:03 PM

We don't have a dog so that helps I guess but we also don't have bikes or other transport.

You don't need transport in Benidorm as Villasol, Torretta and El Raco are all within walking distance of the beach, town and shops. Bus stops are also close to all 3 sites.

Hi Joe, for me the Benidorm area would be first choice, still lively at this time of year, due to it's protected position it tends to have a more favourable climate too.

Several good sites, El Raco, Benisol, La torreta etc, most tend to a lot cheaper if you book for 30 days or more so may be a little pricey for a short stay.

Not trying to teach my Granny how to suck eggs but at this time of year we would always head home via Zaragoza, Pampalona, then up the west coast of France to avoid any problem with bad weather.

We usually stay at La Volta or Vizmar campsites when in Peniscola, but that's because we are tight fisted.

Cheers.

peter - 2014-12-17 11:21 PM

Nothing wrong with Bennicassim. We go every year, as well as Mahal and Almafra.

would still be there in Bonterra Park if hadn't arranged to be home for Xmas.....Benicassim has loads going on, great prom so long safe cycling, good restaurants, lovely beach 500m away, great walking on the flat or in the hills behind and is a Spanish town not a Brit town.

we love it, will be back next year.

pkc - 2014-12-18 9:14 AM

Hi Joe, for me the Benidorm area would be first choice, still lively at this time of year, due to it's protected position it tends to have a more favourable climate too.

Several good sites, El Raco, Benisol, La torreta etc, most tend to a lot cheaper if you book for 30 days or more so may be a little pricey for a short stay.

Not trying to teach my Granny how to suck eggs but at this time of year we would always head home via Zaragoza, Pampalona, then up the west coast of France to avoid any problem with bad weather.

We usually stay at La Volta or Vizmar campsites when in Peniscola, but that's because we are tight fisted.

Cheers.

Are looking into the route back home via the west coast of France,the past two January's we have been lucky with weather but you never know.

The Vizmar site has some access problems at the moment but for us it looks a bit far out so using Eden till in the morning when we plan on going down to Benicasim

Today has been nice and warm and sunny all day.

Must confess I sometimes think about this motorhoming lark, especially after reading this thread. Villasol offers fully equipped chalets for a month or more for not much more than a pitch,

flights including all taxes at £58 at a very civilise time of day 2.5 hours and you're there, it takes me at least double that just to get to Dover or any south coast port and at least that much in diesel just to get that far, then as much to get back.......................Mmmmmm

Joe90 - 2014-12-18 5:49 PM

Must confess I sometimes think about this motorhoming lark, especially after reading this thread. Villasol offers fully equipped chalets for a month or more for not much more than a pitch,

flights including all taxes at £58 at a very civilise time of day 2.5 hours and you're there, it takes me at least double that just to get to Dover or any south coast port and at least that much in diesel just to get that far, then as much to get back.......................Mmmmmm

Look at the price of hotels off season, work out the cost of diesel, ferry and site fees.....

Muswell - 2014-12-18 6:19 PM

Look at the price of hotels off season, work out the cost of diesel, ferry and site fees.....

Exactly, not to mention the endless hours of motoring in probably miserable cold weather............think I'll flog mine now. ;-) The missus would be glad if I did :D

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-12-18 7:40 PM

Exactly, not to mention the endless hours of motoring in probably miserable cold weather............think I'll flog mine now. ;-) The missus would be glad if I did :D

Couple of years ago at Calpe a hotel used by Saga was evacuated due to legionaries being detected 8-) .........not to mention the bed bugs, think we'll stick to our mobile slum ;-) .................

pelmetman - 2014-12-18 7:52 PM

Couple of years ago at Calpe a hotel used by Saga was evacuated due to legionaries being detected 8-) .........not to mention the bed bugs, think we'll stick to our mobile slum ;-) .................

Replies like this is why we love this site LOL

Replays like this is why we love this site LOL.

You could probably get the legionnaires from your own shower quite easily, you need to get hot water temp above 60 C to prevent it. Best stick to a flannel wash to avoid the aerosol effect of the shower. Live fast die young.

Archived