Electronic braking

THE SHEPHERD

Yes had Telmar retarders years ago now on some of our fleet as well, , when I had a spell coaching once, I made great use of it and it saved a lot of leg fatigue I assumed perhaps wrongly it operated on the prop shaft so a bit of a mystery if they've managed it on a FWD, or perhaps just Sprinters. (?)

Some cars now have a ‘brake-by-wire’ system. This is similar in principle to the now-commonplace ‘accelerator-by-wire’ systems where the accelerator-pedal is not mechanically connected to a vehicle’s motor, except ‘brake-by-wire’ means that the connection between brake-pedal and a vehicle’s hydraulic braking system is electronic not mechanical.

As far as I know no 2015 morhomes based on light-commercial vehicles (eg. Ducato/Boxer/Relay/, Sprinter or Transit) have brake-by-wire.

Telma electronic retarder systems are quite different, so I’m not sure which type of system you mean. It’s quite likely that large motorhomes based on a truck chassis or a heavy Iveco Daily or Mercedes Sprinter chassis can have a Telma retarder as an option, but brake-by-wire is something else.

(Where did you read this?)

Archived