Capt Tolleys creaping crack cure!

Johnnysafc

Hello all

I have recently bought an Autotrail Apache on a mercedes 308 chassis, whilst it is 26 years old it is still pretty tidy and very usable. My an is to restore it to its former glory. Having only done 70,000 miles it drives very well cruises at 60 and manages most hills staying in 5th Gear I live in Scotland so this is useful :)

Anyway the last time we used her we were woken at about 1am by a steady dripping coming through the skylight above our bed :( i was surprised as I have a reciept for the resealing of the roof (£800) however when I investigated I realised that all the roof and skylight seals looked fresh apart from the rear one (probably not done due to being under the roof rack)

Now I have seen the product creeping crack cure advertised which apparently will find and seal anywhere that water can enter. My question is has anyone used this before and does it work? I would be reluctant to remove the roofrack as this may create more problems so if this product works it would save hours of work and potential further problems.

This is my first motorhome (previous caravanner) so any advise is welcome advise, I managed to get a cover for it so it's protected for the winter and I can get cracking on doing all restorations once the weather turns finer.

Thanks in advance

Guest pelmetman

Welcome to the forum ;-) ...............It's worth a try, although for a more permanent repair it would be best to have it resealed properly, although if it was my van I'd probably replace the whole skylight as they do start to get brittle, its one of the jobs I'm contemplating on my 24 year old camper :D ..............

I'd agree with that.

It'd probably be better to look at stripping the old one off and starting again(even if it means just taping around the seams/edges 'til the weather clears up), as any "in situ" resealing job would only be a bit of a temporary/bodge job...

if it's a relatively small pop up (MPK type)vent, then new ones aren't that dear anyway..

hi - I have used it on both my motorhome & on my Citroen 2CV. It works well and as described within limits. The 2CV windscreen was leaking badly all round the rubber seals and Captain Tolleys completely cured that after one application. If you haven't already, have a look at his demo movie on line - it's hilarious!

http://www.captaintolley.com/

It is really only suitable for small gaps, and you need to wipe off excess quickly before it "cures". I spoke directly with Captain Tolley (Peter?) and he intimated that spills can however be cleaned with WD40.

Yes also used it and so far it's been successful, but be prepared, it has the consistency almost of water, and seemed like very much like Copydex, as others have said any surplus once dried can be a bugger to get off. I found it necessary to buy an applicator which made the job a whole lot easier, see below, but again I echo the view I consider it to be a less than ideal solution, and it definatley does not have anything like the same gap filling properties as a mastic or sealant, again think water trying to fill a gap ( as above poster states ), my window will be coming out in the spring and non setting mastic tape going in.

http://www.shop4glue.com/15ml-pin-point-applicator-bottle-squeeze-type-for-precision-dispensing-of-adhesives-paints-solvents-oils-glues-etc-size-2-734-p.asp

pelmetman - 2014-12-19 8:01 AM

Welcome to the forum ;-) ...............It's worth a try, although for a more permanent repair it would be best to have it resealed properly, although if it was my van I'd probably replace the whole skylight as they do start to get brittle, its one of the jobs I'm contemplating on my 24 year old camper :D ..............

That'll double it's value Dave. :D

Sorry............couldn't help myself. ;-)

Archived