Satelite finder

Guest bill h

Whats the best (and simplest) satelite finder on a small household type dish that will be sited on a tripod. (for the UK only) I can make anything mechanical to use. bill h

I have never found a cheap satellite signal meter to be of much use.  Too many satellites out there to point at.  Instead, use the following link to get the azimuths and elevations of a variety of places throughout the UK, set these as accurately as possible then use the signal meter level via Sky box and TV.

http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm

Satellite orbit is +28.2 and there are links on this page to databases where you can get latitude and longitude for nearest larger towns.

I have used this effectively and am generally up and running within minutes with very little faffing around.

Good luck

intersun has the right idea using the tv signal test, it does not respond very quickly so there may be a delay of 5 secs or so before your receiver responds to any signal ( be patient is the key) you may have picked up. New receivers such as the Pace 430 are much quicker in their response time. Direction of course is very important, I use the sun (28.2 degs compass otherwise) when it is there of course 11-00 am BST is about right, just aim the dish in its direction, with it in an almost vertical position and you won't be far out. You will always know if you are on the satellite because numbers and letters are displayed on the bottom two lines of the display, also the time is indicated on the screen when you back, back, back from the test signal.

Archived