Flexible Solar Panels

Eswyn

No direct experience, but I did a lot of research before fitting panels to my new van, I stuck with traditional panels.

Pros:

Lightweight

Easy to fit

Cons:

More expensive per watt.

Reduced life output can reduce by 50% over 5 years.

No underside ventilation they can run very hot which reduces output.

Local heat build up under panel can cause damage to GRP roofs.

I would have though it would be easier to find room on your roof for 2 or 3 smaller panels than a 100W semi-flexible panel.

Trying to understand why the OP is saying no room for fixed panels, but enquiring about flexible ones ? which also I discounted after looking into the pros and cons

Hi Guys

Thanks for your input so far, I can see the point about ventilation, cost seems reasonable except for the life span. The van is one with a domed roof (dropdown bed) only very small flat roof space,therefore restricting the size of a normal panel.

I have three fitted to my MH, for me bonding direct to the roof was the sensible option, they are unobtrusive unaffected by low tree branches, can be walked apon if careful and no additional wind noise frame the frames,

The slight reduction in performance in hot weather doesn't compute, you need the most amps in the poorer weather, in good weather it's a non event you have more surplus amps than you can use,

Archived