All the Aires France 2015 Edition launched

Rod_vw

Joe90 - 2014-12-21 12:11 PM

Tracker - 2014-12-21 11:55 AM

Joe90 - 2014-12-21 11:25 AM

I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay twenty five quid for two books and a map giving details of hundreds of free or minimal charge places to stay, perhaps they should rename it the French Aires Motorhome club and charge £46 ;-) :D

Neither can I - but for £12 it's a bit of a bargain to have reliable lat & long data and a realistic description!

I was trying ( but failing it seems ) to be ironic. ;-) when people pay out £46 for details of UK muddy fields. :D DUCK

And then pay for the privilege of parking on said muddy field!

No thank you we'll carry on going to France, well most of the time any way.

Tracker - 2014-12-21 11:14 AM

lennyhb - 2014-12-21 10:56 AM

Try to carry as few book as possible these day prefer everything on computer. Had a bit of a shock some years ago had an instability problem with a caravan, my dear wife had put all the books in an overhead locker at the rear of the caravan! Problem cured when I placed them lower down, but there was 20 - 30 kg of books. (lol)

Really Lenny, I am a bit surprised that 44 to 66 lbs of books would even fit in an overhead locker, so what about solar panel(s) and sat dish on the roof are they a nono too!

Read again Rich, I was talking about a caravan, single axle ones are very sensitive to weight distribution, certainly made me aware of how heavy books are.

Tracker - 2014-12-21 11:55 AM

Neither can I - but for £12 it's a bit of a bargain to have reliable lat & long data and a realistic description!

But are the co-ordinates accurate, I can remember a lot of folk complaining how bad they were.

Never seen the book myself as we use the Campingcar magazines book along with campingcar info POI

Tracker - 2014-12-21 4:47 PM

I can't speak for all of 'em Mike but of the 'quite a few' that we have used we have never found one inaccurate enough that we could not find it!

Don't look up............Blatant advert alert. ;-) or are there different rules on blatantly selling old Aire guide books............just asking mind. ;-)

Not quite OnefootedJoe, but a nice attempt at a stir!

I didn't start the thread, I only added to it, and answered Mike's question!

There is a difference, that I am sure you appreciate, between publicising that which one believes to be a good product useful to those who need it and selling one's own goods - not that I have any issue with anyone selling or buying the odd item via the forum - I've done it myself - and had the argument not erupted out of nothing I would not have mentioned it!

Simples!!

Well you're talking to someone who gladly bought a two year old Satnav, now if I can only understand why the M25 is missing from it I'm sorted. ;-) and still using the original well thumbed All the Aires book :D i may have gone fot the upgrade if I'd seen it in time.. ;-)

No right or wrong ways - just different

My sat nav is 5 years old and the back up in case of failure is a lot older but they get me to where I want to get as towns don't often move and lat and long remain constant but, and I may be a bit old fashioned here, I do prefer to know with as much certainty as I can that an Aire will be there when I get there!

PS - M25 best avoided anyway!

Should really be called "Some of the Aires".

I think the edition I have has 2700 listed but I reckon nearly half the stops we stayed over at over 3 months this summer were not in the book.

I did once approach them to see if they wanted me to source new aires for them. You would think they were doing me a favour by the attitude. Their loss. Must have been on hundreds now that are not in the book.

Its still a good guide though but I wish they would put the Lat and Long in decimal. The degrees and minutes is a right pain to enter.

I personally hope they never do manage to list them all, so many fellow Brits seem to leave their manners at home,we are guests in their country, something lost on many. I mainly use POIs, together with Camping cars App, these days, and I also take note of the French guys, that I see parked up, I check it out, found many an Aire like that. Over the years I've never been refused a polite request to stay over night at many tourist attractions, indeed been overwhelmed with attitudes of kindness and offers of water, services etc, and on one occasion last year being told my wife and I could revisit the attraction FOC the following day as well as staying overnight, with the French lady marking our tickets thus.

And folk often ask me what the attraction of France is year after year.

Barryd999 - 2014-12-21 9:00 PM

Should really be called "Some of the Aires".

I think the edition I have has 2700 listed but I reckon nearly half the stops we stayed over at over 3 months this summer were not in the book.

I did once approach them to see if they wanted me to source new aires for them. You would think they were doing me a favour by the attitude. Their loss. Must have been on hundreds now that are not in the book.

Its still a good guide though but I wish they would put the Lat and Long in decimal. The degrees and minutes is a right pain to enter.

I agree about lat and long as decimal would be the same as Camperstop and would save me half a minute of hard labour changing the sat nav set up each time I change books!

We too have found plenty but to be fair they often tend to be in areas where there already are plenty and using the page in the back of the book and plenty of photos it is easy to post them to Vicarious online. I doubt they will acknowledge receipt unless you ask but if you enter your email address your discount voucher will arrive in due course and you will know they got them!

We sometimes come across a new one whilst on the way to an existing one and never get to the one we were heading for but that is all part of the fun of it.

Have to agree with Joe - the French people are generally very welcoming and helpful but just like us they too have off days - well with their government can you blame them!

Joe90 - 2014-12-21 10:05 PM

I personally hope they never do manage to list them all, so many fellow Brits seem to leave their manners at home,we are guests in their country, something lost on many. I mainly use POIs, together with Camping cars App, these days, and I also take note of the French guys, that I see parked up, I check it out, found many an Aire like that. Over the years I've never been refused a polite request to stay over night at many tourist attractions, indeed been overwhelmed with attitudes of kindness and offers of water, services etc, and on one occasion last year being told my wife and I could revisit the attraction FOC the following day as well as staying overnight, with the French lady marking our tickets thus.

And folk often ask me what the attraction of France is year after year.

I remember finding the new Aire at Fources in Gers by accident on the bike. We were the first people to use it and its really lovely. Grassy area next to a stunning little village.

In the morning 3 women from the village came and knocked on the van door. I thought we were maybe in trouble for parking in the wrong place or something but no, they wanted to know if we had any questions or needed help or information about the area and what we thought of the Aire.

Couldnt beleive it and it was all free.

If your passing through that way give it a go.

Cant imagine that happening in the UK at least not for something that was free.

Archived