Inbuilt charger

fred22

I doubt if your original question was deliberately removed, but if you want to attract the attention of a forum member with hands-on knowledge of early Duettos, you might try starting another thread with the subject

1996 Auto-Sleepers Duetto - location of battery-charger?

I suspect that the charger itself will have been made by Zig and may well be (as you suspect) behind a furniture panel. I’d look behind the panel in which the habitation-area control-panel is mounted, or behind a panel adjacent to the control-panel. There’s also the possibility that the charger is integrated into the control-panel itself. (There ought to be a manufacturer’s make/model on the control-panel that should allow it to be identified.)

If you don’t get a definite answer here, your best approach (that would almost certainly succeed) would be to inquire here:

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/

There are plenty of references to the Zig-made battery-charger on the ASOF, with quite a few of them referring to Duettos. The exasperating thing is that none of the comments seem to mention where the damn thing is! This suggests (dare I say it?) that it SHOULD not be that difficult to find.

As far as I can make out, there may be a switch in a small cupboard beneath the oven that is used to turn the charger on or off when the vehicle is connected to a 230V electric hook-up. But - as ASOF members don’t seem to have trouble checking the charger’s connections/lights - the charger itself may well be elsewhere.

The Zig-made charger that was fitted to a 1990s Duetto seems to have been either an X-3 or an X-7 model (and completely separate from the Zig-made control-panel). The following links show a Zig X-2 and an X-7.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/campervan-caravan-parts/zig-x-2-leisure-battery-charger/1092387203

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/13057-bailey-charger/

All Zig X-Series chargers look similar, so the photos will give you an idea what you should be looking for.

The charger OUGHT to be reasonably accessible and located where ventilation is reasonable (under a seat-base for example).

My 1996-built Herald motorhome had a Zig-made control-panel and a Zig-made charger, with the charger in a high-level cupboard near to the control-panel. It wasn’t immediately obvious where the charger was, however, and to reach it involved removal of piece of upholstered panelling on the front of the cupboard. Removal of the panelling was simple once it was realised that the retaining scews for it were in the adjacent cupboard. Unsurprisingly there was no guidance about this in the Herald Owner’s Handbook.

On our 1999 Duetto the Zig unit was located under the cooker unit at floor level, behind a panel at the back of the locker with the hinge-down access door. The on/off switch and the power output light were visible without having to remove any panelling.

To get the unit out was a bit awkward as I had to lie down in the rather narrow 'corridor' of the Duetto and remove the panel at the back of the locker (easy to do, with just a few woodscrews to take out). The Zig unit is held in with a few screws and in my case the unit could be withdrawn without having to disconnect any wiring.

The early Zig units were know for failing and frying one of their resistors, the effect being that their output became very 'uncertain' (I had to replace one unit).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Motorhome has been in the garage and have just got it back.

Thanks for all the help.

The charger is indeed behind a panel under the cooker. down on all fours to see it.

The only puzzling thing is that the handbook states fitted charger is a Zig-x7 but the one I have is a Zig-x3

Just found a comparison chart on O'leary's website and the X70 is shown as a replacement for the X3 and the X7

Archived