To book or not to book?

Boo King

We are planning to drive from the ferry at Santander down via Zaragoza to Costa Blanca this summer. We will stay with relatives for 5 nights but are planning to tour and take some time going down and coming back. I have found that sites are unwilling to accept bookings for less than 7 nights because it will be August-is this likely to be a problem?-have other motorhomers found that if you just turn up you can get on site if staying for just 1-2 nights? So far we plan to stop at Haro, Olite, Zaragoza, Albarracin and Navajos. Has anyone any other "must-see's" along the route? Thanks!! :-D

We were at Albarracin in June and it was quite full. There aren't many sites around there in that area and Albarracin is spectacular so I wouldn't be surprised that if you turn up on spec at the end of the day you might have to wild camp in the hills. We had no problem touring and staying at sites for 1 or 2 nights without booking but that was May/ June and all of Spain goes on holiday in August. Away from the coast Spain does not have a lot of sites and we planned our itineraries quite carefully to combine the places we wanted to see with the sites.

Have to agree with the above. Spainish sites are not so plentiful away from the costas. So I imagine that the 5 night rule will apply to most sites in August. We don't travel in August, so don't really know There are aires but again not as plentiful as in France

PJay

Your chosen locations all have sites in, or nearby, the towns. August is one of the two European school holiday month, so all sites are likely to be busy, especially coastal sites.

However, the Spanish clearly go in for activity holidays inland, in the mountains and forests, and also cater for youth groups, so it is difficult to forecast pressures in such areas.

I'd suggest you try to arrive at the sites before, or immediately after, lunch to maximise your chances of getting a vacant pitch. (Most folk arrive later in the day, and nearly all leave before lunch, because campsite days usually extend from mid-day to mid-day.)

I suggest you get the ACSI DVD of sites, the "Campsite Guide Europe". The card that comes with the book isn't going to be any use in August, but the DVD lists about 8,500 sites across Europe, including Spain, and gives some idea of what to expect from the listed sites with pictures of the majority.

Might also be worth getting the Caravan Club's "Caravan Europe" volume for Spain, which is complied from user, not inspector, reports.

I'd suggest you also get a guide to off-site stopping places (the so-called aires in France), in case you find the site of your choice full when you arrive. Try searching Vicarious Books website.

Archived