safe winter nightstop calais area

fesspark

We used Montreuil sur Mer on the way home earlier this month. It’s about 50 miles south of Calais and is just a couple of miles or so off the A16. The aire is virtually in the town centre and is sign posted. Parking and dumps are free. There’s a borne for water and electricity however we did not use this. The aire is in a quiet residential area and we felt safe.

NB On our AA map of France the town was named Montreuil with no mention of the 'ser Mer' bit!?

Cattwg :-D

Guest Had Enough

Assuming that your friend is using motorways - A16 we stop at the Aire de la Baie de Somme. It's a large service area sixty miles or so from Calais but it has a dedicated motorhome parking place that's well away from the bustle of the main area. It's also at the end of a cul-de-sac so there's no passing traffic. In the morning we drive round to the main section and use the free wi-fi and fill our tank with fresh water at the free motorhome service point . If you want to treat yourself you can have a delicious breakfast in the restaurant.

If using the A26 we use a picnic aire about 35 miles south of Calais. 'Grand' something, I can't remember the full name.

We've found both of them, and many others, to be safe and very convenient. The aires usually have water available unless it's freezing, when it may be turned off.

We find it far better to get away from Calais and both of these suggestions are an hour's drive or less.

Another aire close to Calais is at Wissant, about 12 miles to the west. From Calais it’s on the right hand side in a hedged area just before you enter the village. The parking and services are free. We have seen but not used this one.

Tardinghen anyone, 15 miles south of Calais, just a spit of the A16, but 5 Euros, lovely peaceful spot, used it loads as well as Baie de Somme that HE highlights, although on the Peage section it's the best 12 Euros you can spend if you want to push on a little.

Had Enough - 2014-12-23 7:32 PM

We've found both of them, and many others, to be safe and very convenient.

Hi Had Enough,

I’m interested that you use motorway aires – the A16 and A26 :-D We avoid motorway aires, as the accepted wisdom has always been that these aires are unsafe and so should not be used for overnighting.

Is there a reason why you feel safe at these particular aires on the A16 and A26 or do you stop at motorway aires per se?

Cattwg - 2014-12-24 1:34 PM

Hi Had Enough,

I’m interested that you use motorway aires – the A16 and A26 :-D We avoid motorway aires, as the accepted wisdom has always been that these aires are unsafe and so should not be used for overnighting.

Is there a reason why you feel safe at these particular aires on the A16 and A26 or do you stop at motorway aires per se?

Agree and note that all official advice from French authorities is not to overnight on motorway Aires, particularly picnic type stops. Yes you might save a bob or two but is it really worth it?

Stop over we would suggest is the fairly new aire at Marck, which is close to Calais and motorway but feels very safe. It is alongside a good residential area, has large individual hedged pitches each with hook up. There is a barrier at entrance which maybe locked. If so you will need to ring number shown and a pleasant man will come and open up, but he speaks no English so you will need a little French.cost is 8€/night all in.

Guest Had Enough

Hi Had Enough,

I think that the 'accepted wisdom' is grossly exaggerated. Ask yourself this - why would you feel safer on an aire in a town, where the scrotes only have to walk a few hundred yards to find a nice selection of motorhomes to rob? Of course the police will always advise against parking on service aires because that's what police do, which is to be over cautious and cover themselves.

On the picnic aires, which are the type that we use regularly, you'll find a selection of motorhomes, caravans, lorries and the odd people sleeping in a car for a few hours. Why would thieves drive onto a motorway, where they'll be identified on the toll booth cameras and, if interrupted in their act, have only one escape route, where again, there are likely to be cameras?

We've been overnighting on picnic aires for years and have never had a whiff of trouble. The biggest advantage is convenience as we drive until we've had enough and then pull into an aire and make dinner and settle down for the night. There's usually a toilet block where you can empty your cassette and, if necessary, fill up with water using a watering can.

I'd love to see the evidence that picnic aires are more unsafe than aires in towns. The worst thing that's ever happened to us is when a refrigerator lorry pulled up alongside and the noise was a bit of pain, but we still slept OK.

If these places were unsafe, I doubt that you'd get all the lorry drivers that we see using them.

There are certain common sense caveats of course. Only an idiot would overnight on a service station or anywhere else for that matter outside Barcelona, which is well known for thieves, but in rural France?

Ps And it's nothing to do with money. It's all about convenience and avoiding the hassle of having to leave the motorway to find an aire, which in summer may well be full. What do you do then? We tried to find an aire a few miles from Calais this year at Grand Fort Philippe only to find that it had a funfair on it. That's one thing that will never happen with a campsite or a motorway picnic aire.

But for all those who fall for the hype and are frightened of using motorway picnic aires, let's see the evidence that they are not as safe as parking in towns.

Unlike some on here, I've actually used them (for years) so my views are based on experience and are not based on the hypothetical fears of some motorhoming worry-puss who has never tried them.

Well thank you all you lovelly people for answering my question,I must admit in 20 years of staying on aires in Europe I have avoided the motorway ones,Have met a few people over the years that wished they had ?I,ll get my book out and see what I can help my friend out with. Happy christmas.fesspark

It's not robbery that bothers me about Motorway Aires – it's the bl**dy noise!

As long as you don't mind the noise generated by cars, lorries, motorbikes and buses coming and going close by all night, refrigerated vehicles parked somewhere near, people trotting off to the facilities and doors opening and shutting at regular intervals - then Motorway Aires are for you.

Meanwhile in my quiet backwater Aire I slumber gently and undisturbed ..................

I do not agree about Wissant being a slum, have stoped there many times and find it very quite over

night , alright you may get the bus leaving in morning but never that early. Also the town itself is 5 minutes

walk away with good bakers ect .

Had Enough - 2014-12-24 2:16 PM

Hi Had Enough,

I think that the 'accepted wisdom' is grossly exaggerated. Ask yourself this - why would you feel safer on an aire in a town, where the scrotes only have to walk a few hundred yards to find a nice selection of motorhomes to rob? Of course the police will always advise against parking on service aires because that's what police do, which is to be over cautious and cover themselves.

On the picnic aires, which are the type that we use regularly, you'll find a selection of motorhomes, caravans, lorries and the odd people sleeping in a car for a few hours. Why would thieves drive onto a motorway, where they'll be identified on the toll booth cameras and, if interrupted in their act, have only one escape route, where again, there are likely to be cameras?

We've been overnighting on picnic aires for years and have never had a whiff of trouble. The biggest advantage is convenience as we drive until we've had enough and then pull into an aire and make dinner and settle down for the night. There's usually a toilet block where you can empty your cassette and, if necessary, fill up with water using a watering can.

I'd love to see the evidence that picnic aires are more unsafe than aires in towns. The worst thing that's ever happened to us is when a refrigerator lorry pulled up alongside and the noise was a bit of pain, but we still slept OK.

If these places were unsafe, I doubt that you'd get all the lorry drivers that we see using them.

There are certain common sense caveats of course. Only an idiot would overnight on a service station or anywhere else for that matter outside Barcelona, which is well known for thieves, but in rural France?

Ps And it's nothing to do with money. It's all about convenience and avoiding the hassle of having to leave the motorway to find an aire, which in summer may well be full. What do you do then? We tried to find an aire a few miles from Calais this year at Grand Fort Philippe only to find that it had a funfair on it. That's one thing that will never happen with a campsite or a motorway picnic aire.

But for all those who fall for the hype and are frightened of using motorway picnic aires, let's see the evidence that they are not as safe as parking in towns.

Unlike some on here, I've actually used them (for years) so my views are based on experience and are not based on the hypothetical fears of some motorhoming worry-puss who has never tried them.

Seeing as the MOST reports of thefts etc have been when people have been staying at motorway aires you are actually 'recommending' something that appears to be more risky than using non-motorway aires. A lot of aires are NOT in the centre of town, but in quiet areas away from the hustle and bustle, and these are the ones we use ... having spoken to at least 3 owners of MHs who did stay on motorway aires and had been robbed, but never ever met anyone who had been robbed on a non-motorway aire I would NEVER stay on a motorhome one no matter how tired I was! The problem with a motorhome aire is that any thieves can be in and out of your camper in a flash and off down the motorway before you even know about it - as for the toll booth cameras being able to show who's on the 'peage' sections, you are joking aren't you! Do you really think that the Police are going to bother checking every vehicle that 'may' have been the culprit and then try to prove it when they have other things to do! Forget it! The only time I can see this ever being considered is if there was a serious assault on a MH owner.

Of course, perhaps your reputation precedes you and there's no way ANY scrotes would even consider robbing YOU in your van! ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Mel B - 2014-12-24 10:26 PM

Seeing as the MOST reports of thefts etc have been when people have been staying at motorway aires you are actually 'recommending' something that appears to be more risky than using non-motorway aires. A lot of aires are NOT in the centre of town, but in quiet areas away from the hustle and bustle, and these are the ones we use ... having spoken to at least 3 owners of MHs who did stay on motorway aires and had been robbed, but never ever met anyone who had been robbed on a non-motorway aire I would NEVER stay on a motorhome one no matter how tired I was! The problem with a motorhome aire is that any thieves can be in and out of your camper in a flash and off down the motorway before you even know about it - as for the toll booth cameras being able to show who's on the 'peage' sections, you are joking aren't you! Do you really think that the Police are going to bother checking every vehicle that 'may' have been the culprit and then try to prove it when they have other things to do! Forget it! The only time I can see this ever being considered is if there was a serious assault on a MH owner.

So a thief can be in and out of your motorhome in a flash and be off down the motorway? Well yes, just as they can be in and out of your motorhome in a flash and be off on foot into the town or off in a flash in their car if the aire is rural. What's special about escape from a motorway picnic aire, apart from the greater risk that they can be recorded on CCTV both on the aire and on the toll booth cameras?

And many aires are in towns and on the edges of towns, so I ask again, why would thieves take all the trouble of driving miles on a motorway when they have say, twenty motorhomes all conveniently lined up on the local aire?

Motorhomes, cars and caravans are broken into and robbed all over the place, parked in towns, on campsites, on aires and on motorway service areas. But I have never seen any evidence that there is a greater risk of being robbed on a motorway picnic aire. And as I said, my experience isn't hypothetical. I and thousands of others overnight on motorway picnic aires every year. I have shared them with other motorhomers, lorries and caravans and never had a whiff of trouble.

So please, let's see some evidence and I mean real evidence, not "My mate knows a bloke who was robbed on a motorway services and he was probably gassed as well." And we've all read about idiots who park on service areas near well known hot spots for thieves, such as outside Barcelona, but I'm talking about rural France. Come on folks!

If you're worried about using a picnic aire, then stay away, which suits those of us who know that they have no more risk than anywhere else, as there'll be more space for us.

These places are full of overnighting lorries. The next time you're driving on a French motorway at night just pop into any picnic aire and see how many there are. Then ask yourself, would the drivers and the haulage companies allow their vehicles to stop on places that have a high risk of robberies? Of course they wouldn't because like me they have used them for years and know the real facts, not some utter hyperbole from worry-pussies who fall for exaggerated and unproven rumours.

People are robbed on campsites. Does this mean that you'll never stop on a campsite just in case you're robbed? What you do is calculate the tiny risk, which is there wherever you park for the night, make sure that your 'van is well protected and stop worrying unnecessarily.

Finally, you claim that MOST reports of thefts are on motorway service areas. Where's your proof? I've read about many thefts on supermarket car parks. I've read about robberies on campsites and I've read about robberies on motorway services when people have just stopped for an hour or two to get a meal. But of course on picnic aires you never leave your 'van and the thieves know that, which is why most service area thefts are on big full-service aires when the 'van is empty, not remote picnic aires where it's always occupied.

Mickt - 2014-12-24 5:52 PM

I do not agree about Wissant being a slum, have stoped there many times and find it very quite over

night , alright you may get the bus leaving in morning but never that early. Also the town itself is 5 minutes

walk away with good bakers ect .

Fair enough, we all have different standards and what we are prepared to put up with. The bus did not bother us but vans were parked up seriously squashed in, the toilet dump was such a mess I stayed well clear of it. The place is a concrete car and coach park, complete nightmare, my opinion of course. The village is a small French seaside town, nothing special, plenty of others around here with better aires.

Muswell - 2014-12-25 9:45 AM

I suspect the motorhome robbery on motorway aire makes a better story. What is needed is an analysis of robberies per vehicle night for parking in different places.

Just out of interest, how many people on this forum have been robbed?

Me ,

I have also used the motorway aire many times at Baie de Somme and always felt safe. In the years i have been travelling to Europe i have only moved on a couple of time when it didn't feel right ,(Both were nice villages with aires Fougeres and St Lo ).

Where was i robbed ,not in France ,Spain etc but here in the good old uk .

Had Enough - 2014-12-24 11:44 PM

Mel B - 2014-12-24 10:26 PM

So a thief can be in and out of your motorhome in a flash and be off down the motorway? Well yes, just as they can be in and out of your motorhome in a flash and be off on foot into the town or off in a flash in their car if the aire is rural. What's special about escape from a motorway picnic aire, apart from the greater risk that they can be recorded on CCTV both on the aire and on the toll booth cameras?

And many aires are in towns and on the edges of towns, so I ask again, why would thieves take all the trouble of driving miles on a motorway when they have say, twenty motorhomes all conveniently lined up on the local aire?

Motorhomes, cars and caravans are broken into and robbed all over the place, parked in towns, on campsites, on aires and on motorway service areas. But I have never seen any evidence that there is a greater risk of being robbed on a motorway picnic aire. And as I said, my experience isn't hypothetical. I and thousands of others overnight on motorway picnic aires every year. I have shared them with other motorhomers, lorries and caravans and never had a whiff of trouble.

So please, let's see some evidence and I mean real evidence, not "My mate knows a bloke who was robbed on a motorway services and he was probably gassed as well." And we've all read about idiots who park on service areas near well known hot spots for thieves, such as outside Barcelona, but I'm talking about rural France. Come on folks!

If you're worried about using a picnic aire, then stay away, which suits those of us who know that they have no more risk than anywhere else, as there'll be more space for us.

These places are full of overnighting lorries. The next time you're driving on a French motorway at night just pop into any picnic aire and see how many there are. Then ask yourself, would the drivers and the haulage companies allow their vehicles to stop on places that have a high risk of robberies? Of course they wouldn't because like me they have used them for years and know the real facts, not some utter hyperbole from worry-pussies who fall for exaggerated and unproven rumours.

People are robbed on campsites. Does this mean that you'll never stop on a campsite just in case you're robbed? What you do is calculate the tiny risk, which is there wherever you park for the night, make sure that your 'van is well protected and stop worrying unnecessarily.

Finally, you claim that MOST reports of thefts are on motorway service areas. Where's your proof? I've read about many thefts on supermarket car parks. I've read about robberies on campsites and I've read about robberies on motorway services when people have just stopped for an hour or two to get a meal. But of course on picnic aires you never leave your 'van and the thieves know that, which is why most service area thefts are on big full-service aires when the 'van is empty, not remote picnic aires where it's always occupied.

Oh dear HE, only YOUR opinion and/or experience counts yet again I see ... I have PERSONALLY MET 2 motorhomers in recent year who had STAYED ON MOTORWAY AIRES AND BEEN ROBBED ... I have SEEN the evidence on the vehicles myself ... is that good enough?? You continue to believe it doesn't happen if you want but don't come crying on here when it happens to you (which I do hope it does NOT!).

As for your comment:

Of course they wouldn't because like me they have used them for years and know the real facts, not some utter hyperbole from worry-pussies who fall for exaggerated and unproven rumours.

I'm not some worry-puss ... I've been MHing since 1996, and since 2005 abroad and use aires extensively (non-motorway ones) and would rather go off the motorway to find a small town/village if there was no aire close-by, as it would give a much better night's sleep IMV, and not be breathing in the exhaust fumes either.

As for lorry drivers staying on MH aires etc ... they are not going to go off the motorway in search of somewhere to park are they ... the likelihood of finding somewhere to stop that is big enough is very low and they won't want to waste the fuel or time, also they don't tend to carry the nickable stuff that MHers do such as large amounts of cash, equipment etc which makes MHs more lucrative to nick from.

You can bury your head in the sand and deny it happens if you wish but please do not try to pull the wool over the eyes of others ... as it DOES happen.

Had Enough - 2014-12-24 2:16 PM......................But for all those who fall for the hype and are frightened of using motorway picnic aires, let's see the evidence that they are not as safe as parking in towns.

Frank, does it really matter to the extent that it is worth, in terms, calling theose who do not do as you do feeble minded cowards?

The object of an overnight stop is surely rest and sleep. If some folk find autoroute aires noisy, or feel unsafe on them, they will not be relaxed - so are unlikely to be able to do either. So, why not help them by suggesting good aires off the autoroute, rather than attacking them for what you seem to see as non-conformist preferences. Just live, and let live, and be a bit helpful along the way? Season of good-will to all men (and women :-)), and all that?

There is a distinct lack of decent aires in the Calais area. Couple of good ones on grass but not an option if its been wet.

Wissant would be my choice now in winter. There is a lovely private aire around the corner from the Wissant one but its on grass. We parked on the track in the field in October to avoid getting stuck but moved on to Wissant the next night before getting the ferry. The spots at the back are ok.

The noise would put me off motorway aires as well. And whichever way you look at it most reports of break in's are on these aires both on the forums and in the news. HE has a point though I suspect where it is makes a difference.

Guest Had Enough
Mel B - 2014-12-26 5:52 PM

Oh dear HE, only YOUR opinion and/or experience counts yet again I see ... I have PERSONALLY MET 2 motorhomers in recent year who had STAYED ON MOTORWAY AIRES AND BEEN ROBBED ... I have SEEN the evidence on the vehicles myself ... is that good enough?? You continue to believe it doesn't happen if you want but don't come crying on here when it happens to you (which I do hope it does NOT!).

As for your comment:

Of course they wouldn't because like me they have used them for years and know the real facts, not some utter hyperbole from worry-pussies who fall for exaggerated and unproven rumours.

I'm not some worry-puss ... I've been MHing since 1996, and since 2005 abroad and use aires extensively (non-motorway ones) and would rather go off the motorway to find a small town/village if there was no aire close-by, as it would give a much better night's sleep IMV, and not be breathing in the exhaust fumes either.

As for lorry drivers staying on MH aires etc ... they are not going to go off the motorway in search of somewhere to park are they ... the likelihood of finding somewhere to stop that is big enough is very low and they won't want to waste the fuel or time, also they don't tend to carry the nickable stuff that MHers do such as large amounts of cash, equipment etc which makes MHs more lucrative to nick from.

You can bury your head in the sand and deny it happens if you wish but please do not try to pull the wool over the eyes of others ... as it DOES happen.

I'm not the one forcing my opinion on anyone. I was asked for a place to overnight and recommended motorway picnic aires. You and others are the ones insisting that you are right and accusing me (and others it would appear) of being foolish idiots for daring to stop on these dangerous places!

I have no doubt that a tiny number of people may have been robbed on motorway aires but they've been robbed on ordinary aires, in towns and even on campsites and my point is that the chances of being robbed on a picnic aire are no greater than anywhere else. Many robberies on motorway aires are when the vehicle is left unattended and not when people are sleeping.

Your earlier point that you can be robbed and the thieves can be miles away in minutes simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Thieves can be away in minutes from anywhere, and in towns can be on foot and melt away in seconds. There is much more chance of a thief being caught on a motorway, where there are people and lorries coming and going and where the place is festooned with CCTV cameras.

Anyone fleeing a robbery on a motorway, if they've been disturbed in the act, have only one escape route, up the motorway in one direction and then they've a toll booth to transit. That has to be riskier than robbing on a town aire where they can nip off in any direction.

But common sense tells me that driving up and down motorways looking for victims is far more risky than simply finding them in a nearby town or village. Why would they do it?

No one has ever provided evidence that motorway aires are more prone to casual robbers than anywhere else and in my experience and judgement they are probably less prone. But of course you hear about the odd robbery on a motorway and it's 'Oh my God, never stay on a motorway aire!'

But as we all know, if you took this to the logical conclusion you wouldn't stay anywhere!

Motorway picnic aires are as safe as anywhere, as thousands of people prove every year. That may not accord with your view but, by your own admission you never use them, and your only evidence is two examples where people claim to have been robbed. Where they sleeping in the 'van at the time? Was it a service aire or a picnic aire and where was it? And you say that you've seen the evidence, which presumably was a damaged 'van. Are you sure that they were actually in it and if the break-in was so noisy as to damage the 'van, didn't they hear anything?

The minute someone comes up with real evidence that you've more chance of being robbed on a motorway aire, I'll stop using them, but won't hold my breath!

Finally, all we've heard from members here is that they use them and have never had any trouble. The only time a member felt unsafe and moved on was on a couple of town aires! Well I never!

Archived