safe winter nightstop calais area

fesspark

Guest Had Enough
Brian Kirby - 2014-12-26 6:53 PM

Frank, does it really matter to the extent that it is worth, in terms, calling theose who do not do as you do feeble minded cowards?

The object of an overnight stop is surely rest and sleep. If some folk find autoroute aires noisy, or feel unsafe on them, they will not be relaxed - so are unlikely to be able to do either. So, why not help them by suggesting good aires off the autoroute, rather than attacking them for what you seem to see as non-conformist preferences. Just live, and let live, and be a bit helpful along the way? Season of good-will to all men (and women :-)), and all that?

Hang on a minute. I'm not the one attacking others' choices. We were asked for examples of suitable places to stay after after arriving in Calais and I gave my recommendations, which was using motorway picnic aires, and it turns out that I'm not the only one who does so, but I knew that anyway as I use them a lot and see many of my fellow caravanners joining me.

I'm the one being castigated, as in this example from MelB: 'Seeing as the MOST reports of thefts etc have been when people have been staying at motorway aires you are actually 'recommending' something that appears to be more risky than using non-motorway aires.'

She accuses me of being irresponsible by recommending something that's dangerous, when there is no proof whatsoever that motorway picnic aires are more dangerous than anywhere else.

But her sentence: 'Seeing as the MOST reports of thefts etc have been when people have been staying at motorway aires.......' is nonsense. I have read far more reports of thefts when parked at at supermarkets or in towns and even on campsites. Evidence please Mel?

Please, someone show me any evidence at all that motorway picnic aires have a higher robbery rate than any other overnight location. I suspect that if there were 100 'vans parked up on town aires and the same number on motorway picnic aires that the robbery rate will be higher in the towns. In towns they're more easily accessible, the escape routes are many and the thieves don't have to risk CCTV and toll booth cameras, nor do they need to buy a toll ticket, which is further proof of their location should they ever be caught in the act and have to flee.

Motorway aire robberies are like gassing, easily swallowed by those who haven't actually thought too deeply about the subject.

I acknowledge that they're not for everyone and if people don't feel safe then don't use them. Some (but not all) can be noisier than normal aires but on normal aires I've been woken up late and very early by inconsiderate people arriving at midnight and departing at 6.00 a.m. This is one reason why we like picnic aires. Many of them have separate sections for lorries and are quieter as a result.

For me it's the convenience, not leaving the motorway and stopping whenever you've had enough driving. And to repeat once more, many years of using them, with a caravan and motorhome and never a whiff of trouble. Can a motorway picnic aire, in the middle of nowhere, really be more attractive to thieves than a town or village aire, which is near to home with dozens of motorhomes all lined up for the picking and no CCTV in sight?

Guest Had Enough
rebbyvid - 2014-12-26 3:37 AM

Muswell - 2014-12-25 9:45 AM

I suspect the motorhome robbery on motorway aire makes a better story. What is needed is an analysis of robberies per vehicle night for parking in different places.

Just out of interest, how many people on this forum have been robbed?

Me ,

I have also used the motorway aire many times at Baie de Somme and always felt safe. In the years i have been travelling to Europe i have only moved on a couple of time when it didn't feel right ,(Both were nice villages with aires Fougeres and St Lo ).

Where was i robbed ,not in France ,Spain etc but here in the good old uk .

Sums it up nicely I think! :-)

Had Enough - 2014-12-26 8:01 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-26 6:53 PM

Frank, does it really matter to the extent that it is worth, in terms, calling theose who do not do as you do feeble minded cowards?

The object of an overnight stop is surely rest and sleep. If some folk find autoroute aires noisy, or feel unsafe on them, they will not be relaxed - so are unlikely to be able to do either. So, why not help them by suggesting good aires off the autoroute, rather than attacking them for what you seem to see as non-conformist preferences. Just live, and let live, and be a bit helpful along the way? Season of good-will to all men (and women :-)), and all that?

Hang on a minute. I'm not the one attacking others' choices. We were asked for examples of suitable places to stay after after arriving in Calais and I gave my recommendations, which was using motorway picnic aires, and it turns out that I'm not the only one who does so, but I knew that anyway as I use them a lot and see many of my fellow caravanners joining me.

That is not in dispute as far as I'm concerned. However, when it was pointed out that the oficial guidance is against using the autoroute rest areas for overnighting, you responded somewhat trenchantly, closing your post with the following.

Had Enough - 2014-12-24 2:16 PM......................But for all those who fall for the hype and are frightened of using motorway picnic aires, let's see the evidence that they are not as safe as parking in towns.

Unlike some on here, I've actually used them (for years) so my views are based on experience and are not based on the hypothetical fears of some motorhoming worry-puss who has never tried them.

I'm the one being castigated, as in this example from MelB: 'Seeing as the MOST reports of thefts etc have been when people have been staying at motorway aires you are actually 'recommending' something that appears to be more risky than using non-motorway aires.'

It was the tenor of your jibe abut "the hypothetical fears of some motorhoming worry-puss" that I was responding to. If people are unhappy on these aries, for whatever reason, why do they have to be painted into so derogatory a category? One always has the option of saying nothing.

I think, were you to ask the French police, you would find that their somewhat generalised caution is based on their experience of robberies on motorway rest areas.

There was a spate of such robberies a few years back, but almost exclusively along the main holiday routes, during the main holiday periods. They involved mostly the A25 Calais to Reims, the A4/A26/A5/A31 Reims to Dijon, the A6/A7 to Avignon, and the A9/A7/A8 between Avignon and the Spanish, or Italian, borders. The reported favourite vehicle was a motorcycle, with the pillion doing the robberies while the rider kept the motor running at a discreet distance. They were quick break-ins, taking usually phones, cash, cards and passports if left visible, and the bike allowed a quick getaway, with little actual chance of identification. That profile was built up based on evidence, following which the police began to advise against stopping overnight on such areas. So, at times, and in certain places, there was then an enhanced perceived risk. More recently, reports of such break-ins seem to have diminished.

However, as with all stopping places, one needs to use judgement to reduce the risk - something some find more difficult than others. The "safe" advice remains to avoid, because the "innocent abroad" remains vulnerable - unless the warnings are given to put them on their guard. It may well be a case of trying to protect the foolish from themselves but, for the small effort required, why not do that? Being robbed is no more fun for the foolish, or naive, than for the wise or the knowing.

And, for those who decide not to take the risk, why criticise that? Their decision to avoid the pleasures of "discovery learning" is, IMO, entirely logical. After all, the fact that something has not yet happened to one's self, is not proof positive that it cannot, or will not, happen. It is just, as that infamous man falling from the top of the Empire State building said, a case of "so far, so good". Yer pays yer money, and yer makes yer choice. They, and you, have made different choices, based on your respective and varying perceptions of risk and reward. Long may it remain so, because it spreads folk around, and that, in itself, spreads the risks for us all. To coin a phrase: no wrong ways, just different! :-)

Muswell - 2014-12-25 9:45 AM

I suspect the motorhome robbery on motorway aire makes a better story. What is needed is an analysis of robberies per vehicle night for parking in different places.

Just out of interest, how many people on this forum have been robbed?

Me: Three times!

Witnessed robberies: One.

Theft one: Corsica 1992, Ajjacio docks; van parked on dock adjacent to a ferry which was loading vehicles. Wife went back to van (Autotrail Cheyanne Six) saw youth exiting from rear side window jump onto motorcycle driven by second youth. Wife lost camera and make up bag. Broad daylight.

Theft two: France 2002, Motorway service area A26 just before A1 junction; Wife, travelling with daughter and granddaughter, woke up after overnighting to find van unlocked. Lost mobile phone, watch and about 200 Euros.

Theft three: France 2006, Dual carriageway D612A near Bessan, Languedoc, Hobby 725; Stopped to change blown out front tyre. I was underneath rear of van retrieving spare wheel, the wife standing at back of van wearing hi-vis vest said she thought she saw someone jump over the armco at the front of the van and go into a field. Drove off and then wife discovered later her bag was gone from behind the front seat. Luckily no cash in it, just one credit card. We sent the tyre to Michelin (it was new) they said it had been slashed.

We had just left the Hyper U at Agde and the blow out occurred about 3 miles down the road, luckily on the dual section. We never leave the van unattended when shopping, I had noticed 4 youths in a car pull up next to the van, we are 100% sure one of them slashed the tyre when we were distracted loading up the wine. We think they then followed us and one got into the cab while I was underneath the van!! Broad daylight.

Theft witnessed: Cite del Europe, France 2007: we were parked in the coach park next door, it is right next to the Police HQ, I saw a guy getting out of a Sherpa minibus with two rucksacks, he smiled at me, as I got nearer I noticed the smashed side window; I started to run towards him then I noticed his accomplice in a VW Golf GTI, he got in the car and they then drove at me I jumped out of the way but got his registration number. I waited at the Sherpa until the occupants, a church group, returned. Two adults about 10 teenagers, they lost everything; cameras, passports, etc. If you park in that vicinity DO NOT leave your vehicle unattended! We take it in turns to go the shops but were surprised to see everyone else leave their vans unattended and just wander off. Do not do it, it is inconvenient but the only safe way is for one of you to stay with the vehicle. Broad daylight, next to Police HQ!!

So the three times we have been robbed, only one was on a Motorway service station, all have been in France.

When the mobile phone in robbery two was used by the thief to make calls totalling about a £1000, Vodafone demanded payment; We refused, citing the legal maxim "Novus Actus Interveniens"; the contract was nullified by the actions of a third party, the thief, and was thus void. They gave up and we paid them nothing.

We never leave the van unattended at supermarkets (but they still managed to slash the tyre). We still stay on service stations but we have deadlocks on the cab doors and habitation doors and and an air pressure sensor on the alarm that activates if a window is opened.

Put that into perspective though 3 times in 23 years is not too bad; in that time in England I have lost count of the amount of vehicles I have had broken into or stolen including the actual van!

In fact the Autotrail Cheyanne was stolen from Birmingham in 2005 and was missing until 2008 when it was stopped in Blackpool by Lancashire Police (who are the only force with a dedicated motorhome theft squad), but that's another story and yes, it was travellers.

Blimey,you are either very unlucky indeed or tend to exaggerate a bit. I have been driving a lot longer than that and have had one break-in, that was a car which I left in a carpark while off climbing, a rope and some cassettes went missing. The police caught the thieves a few days later in the same spot. We leave the van in all sorts of places, including super markets car parks, never had a problem, so far anyway, what is so attractive about you?

rupert123 - 2014-12-28 12:04 PM

Blimey,you are either very unlucky indeed or tend to exaggerate a bit. I have been driving a lot longer than that and have had one break-in, that was a car which I left in a carpark while off climbing, a rope and some cassettes went missing. The police caught the thieves a few days later in the same spot. We leave the van in all sorts of places, including super markets car parks, never had a problem, so far anyway, what is so attractive about you?

No exaggeration, all true! But three break ins 23 years of motorhoming, mostly in France, is not a bad average. Note that that all bar one occurred in broad daylight.

Maybe our vehicles looked more desirable, maybe bad luck, or the amount of time we spend abroad, but it happens and I repeat, never leave your vehicle unattended except on a campsite. Luckily we have never had a problem on site.

And living in Birmingham or Liverpool, Manchester, etc., you are bound to be a victim of car crime unfortunately, though its not as bad as it was.

You just have to accept that you are a tempting target in a motorhome and be on the defensive all the time on your travels.

Some very well thought out and well argued responses here from Mel B and Brian Kirkby, both of which indicate that staying overnight on motorway picnic areas might not be the world's best idea, although as Brian notes it is up to each individual to decide what is right for them. It is, as we pointed out earlier against the advice of the French authorities, and also in Germany we think, to stay on these areas. So if there was a problem then what view might your insurance company take? Years ago we stayed overnight on motorway Aires throughout Germany, en route to Eastern Europe or Scandinavia, but given current advice and prevailing opinion would not do so now.

Regarding comment from another contributor that only ever leave a van unattended on a camp site then can not agree with this. For a start break ins have been reported on sites, for example the municipal at Chartres is notorious, whilst we have no hesitation in setting out for the day whilst leaving our van on almost all the aires we stay on in France.

Can't see the point of as you say "well argued responses here from Mel B and Brian Kirkby", the OP was asking for specific suggestions for a safe winter stop Calais area................did either of them give one ? :-S

This is the Baie De Somme Aire on the Peage section of motorway, dedicated area for motorhomes ( arrowed ), we have used it several times, and though I'd agree M/way aires in general wouldn't be my choice, this location is a one off mainly due to it's design, and a very quiet and safe night ensues in our experience

I personally don't care where the OP chooses to spend the night, but he asked for suggestions and AFAIC this is as good and probably better than many in this area, rather I'd suggest, than reading arguments of the type of places to stay breaking out.

438044366_BaiedeSomme.jpg.c0caa3b8e352e30616a090ee3a71434c.jpg

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-12-28 8:52 PM

Can't see the point of as you say "well argued responses here from Mel B and Brian Kirkby", the OP was asking for specific suggestions for a safe winter stop Calais area................did either of them give one ? :-S

This is the Baie De Somme Aire on the Peage section of motorway, dedicated area for motorhomes ( arrowed ), we have used it several times, and though I'd agree M/way aires in general wouldn't be my choice, this location is a one off mainly due to it's design, and a very quiet and safe night ensues in our experience

I personally don't care where the OP chooses to spend the night, but he asked for suggestions and AFAIC this is as good and probably better than many in this area, rather I'd suggest, than reading arguments of the type of places to stay breaking out.

If I'm in a thread with one viewpoint You should take any comments from R&J with a pinch of salt. If I'd been arguing against motorhome picnic aires( MPAs) he'd be all in favour of them! ;-)

And as for well reasoned argument, let's look at MelB's. Here's one comment from her: 'The problem with a motorhome aire is that any thieves can be in and out of your camper in a flash and off down the motorway before you even know about it..'

So if you're robbed on a normal aire or a campsite the thieves can't escape? In fact in these places they can melt away in a dozen different directions, on foot or in a car. If a thief was discovered breaking in to a motorhome on a MPA he has only one direction in which to escape. And let's not forget the CCTV!

Her other objection is because she's heard from two people who were robbed on motorway aires. She doesn't enlighten us as to whether they were on busy full service aires, where those aires were and whether they were in their 'vans at the time.

But here's a funny thing. Some years ago MelB's motorhome was badly damaged by hooligans. Where was it? A motorway aire? A campsite? No, it was on an 'ordinary' aire just outside a nice village in, if memory serves, the Netherlands.

So, with this experience behind her, is she warning people of the dangers of overnighting on village aires where hooligans can melt away into the streets in seconds?

Of course she isn't, because she's evaluated the risk and decided that the chances of it happening again are very slight and, given the convenience and low, or no cost, of such aires, is prepared to accept the minimal risk.

Which of course is exactly what you, I and thousands of others do. We look at our motorway aire and its position, the fact that we have neighbours and that it's incredibly convenient not to have to leave the motorway to find a normal aire, which in summer, may be full. And like MelB on her normal aires, we decide that the minimal risk is greatly outweighed by the advantages.

And please, quoting the police advice really holds no water. It's blanket advice covering full service aires in dodgy places as well as all the others.

I shall be overnighting at Baie de Somme in February. Like you and many others I know it to be as safe as anywhere and being at a dead end even safer than ordinary aires.

As you have said, the OP asked for advice. I give him some, based on years of experience without a hint of trouble. Reading the thread it appears that many contributors share my view and my experience of MPAs. Some people came in to criticise my choice and give their reasons why they think I'm wrong. But guess what? None of them have ever used the damn things!

I've responded and told them why I think that they're wrong. But of course according to the forum headmaster I'm not allowed to criticise their thinking but it's open season on mine!

I couldn't care less if some are worried about overnighting on MPAs, who cares? But if they accuse me of being foolish in my choices I reserve the right to suggest that they think a bit more deeply about theirs.

Anyway, using a MPA usually means paying tolls, so they're unlikely to have to make the decision! (lol)

For what its worth, we have used motorway aires to overnight with a caravan.Usually first and occasionally last nights.The aires were usually about half an hour from Calais, quite busy, well lit at night and felt safe.We have been very lucky and touch wood, never been broken into in any of our units.We did it when we both worked full time and holiday time was much shorter.These days we arrive earlier and go to a nice site.

Surely when you park up you have a look around check everything is secure and make sure you are happy with the area and make a decision 'stay or go', no comment from a member on here will make you feel any safer. However i suggest that you don't leave your money, valuables, passports and credit cards in full view so any mythical nocturnal thief armed with a large gas cylinder or skeleton keys and the ability to bypass alarms and to move about in an unlit van as quite as a mouse cannot find them. Perhaps even put them under your pillow there are a thousand places in a van to hide your bits and bobs so if you are targeted they leave empty handed the cynic in me does wonder if the large amounts of cash regularly reportedly stolen bears any resemblance to the maximum insured amount you can claim?

Hang on a minute here Frank. My original post was in reply to Cattwg, supporting view that in general motorway Aires are not regarded as safe places to overnight on. Nothing at all to do with taking opposite view to you just for the sake of it; if I think you are wrong will say so, if right will agree with you. Yes you are right we never have stayed on a motorway picnic area overnight, but have never taken illegal drugs either but does not mean can not pass an opinion that it is a bad idea.

Regarding aire at baie de somme then take point Joe 90 makes, that this does appear to be a special case and may well be worth considering as a stopover for the OP. Still think however, that the charged aire we suggested at Marck is a better bet.

A better bet, why exactly, you've never stopped at Baie de Somme, the bloke is arriving late and yet you say

"There is a barrier at entrance which maybe locked"

"you then say you may need to phone someone that does not speak English"

depending on the OPs lateness my guess is he'd understand one word of two words, the second being "off" . 8-)

And of course the OP has got to find it presumably in the dark in the first place :-S

Yes sure sounds a better bet than staying on the motorway from Calais and coming off the slip road at the services and simply parking up. . (!)

Guest Had Enough
robertandjean - 2014-12-29 10:35 AM

Still think however, that the charged aire we suggested at Marck is a better bet.

As Joe90 says you've never stayed or even looked the motorhome aire at Baie de Somme and yet you've already decided that your dodgy aire (which may have a closed barrier) is a better choice.

Well, you can't beat a closed mind!

Guest pelmetman

We had lunch yesterday just where your arrow is pointing ;-) ..............It was turkey again *-) ..........

Can't say it was "quiet" though? :-S ................

pelmetman - 2014-12-29 4:41 PM

We had lunch yesterday just where your arrow is pointing ;-) ..............It was turkey again *-) ..........

We're ALL glad ya still managing to post Dave ... Seems like only yesteryear you were here ... But now your entertaining that Europe place ... Counting the hours old buddy xx

pelmetman - 2014-12-29 4:41 PM

Probably not,.just like most places during the middle of the day, especially if some noisy old beat up Transit full of dogs turns up . :D

Joe90 - 2014-12-29 11:07 AM

A better bet, why exactly, you've never stopped at Baie de Somme, the bloke is arriving late and yet you say

depending on the OPs lateness my guess is he'd understand one word of two words, the second being "off" . 8-)

And of course the OP has got to find it presumably in the dark in the first place :-S

Yes sure sounds a better bet than staying on the motorway from Calais and coming off the slip road at the services and simply parking up. . (!)

Good points Joe. To be honest had forgotten that OP said he was arriving late, ( what am I like!) So you are right for him the motorway stop over is best, but if arriving at an earlier time then aire at Marck is worth a look. From memory think notice says if locked can ring up to 9.00 pm, but not to worry if later can park up on lane next to aire until following morning. Thanks for input am always open to correction, if wrong, or new ideas when presented by someone, like yourself, who clearly knows his stuff. From what you say, as an experienced Aires user, like ourselves, then motorway stop at Baie de Somme is one we should consider as we use this stretch of motorway to avoid the much slower D901.

robertandjean - 2014-12-29 8:09 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-29 11:07 AM

Good points Joe. To be honest had forgotten that OP said he was arriving late, ( what am I like!) So you are right for him the motorway stop over is best, but if arriving at an earlier time then aire at Marck is worth a look. From memory think notice says if locked can ring up to 9.00 pm, but not to worry if later can park up on lane next to aire until following morning. Thanks for input am always open to correction, if wrong, or new ideas when presented by someone, like yourself, who clearly knows his stuff. From what you say, as an experienced Aires user, like ourselves, then motorway stop at Baie de Somme is one we should consider as we use this stretch of motorway to avoid the much slower D901.

To be fair I think we've exchanged a few Aire suggestions over the years, in all my incarnations, Happy New Year. 1foot, Mike, Joe :D

Archived