Microsoft Autoroute replacement

tonyishuk

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-30 5:44 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-28 2:41 PM

I find myself sticking with both of these. ;-)

Talk about over egging the pudding...........love Brian Kirbys comment about working out refueling stops, presume he's kidding though, or crossing the Sahara some time soon. ;-)

Ah, but as a non-AutoRoute user, you couldn't appreciate its subtleties. One merely enters (just once) the fuel consumption, the capacity of the tank, and how low one want to run it before refuelling, and the program thereafter flags up where along a route the fuel stops will be required. One can then sniff out a handily located supermarket for best fuel prices. So, no great effort required at all, the program does all the work. Maybe not necessary for bumbling around France, with supers in almost every small town, but very useful on long runs in less familiar countries where the supers (and filling stations) are much less frequent. It just helps route planning. Great tool.

So a fuel gauge doesn't flag up where a fuel stop is required, sorry, each to their own, but this is seriously into "train spotters" territory, ;-) I actually inherited a copy of Autoroute 2010 which sits unused and unloved in a draw.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2014-12-30 6:52 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 5:56 PM...................2007 has a much nicer interface than 2010 or 2013, & you can still update the maps to 2013. I wouldn't have updated if it wasn't for Addie's POI's it was worth the 30 quid for 2013 to save a lot of work.

Lenny, do you mean you can run the 2013 maps with the 2007 interface? If so, I'd love to know how to do that - in laymans terms! I think I've still got my 2007 DVD, so would like to try it out.

Yep, just copy the map file in the data folder over, you can try replacing the complete data folder worked for earlier versions not sure with the 2013 data. Rename the data folder in 2007 first then it's easy to get back.

I'll have a look and let you known which are the map files.

Doesn't cure the bug in 2007 where the route line goes off the road.

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 7:55 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-30 7:06 PM

I actually inherited a copy of Autoroute 2010 which sits unused and unloved in a draw.

It really is worth the effort give it a try Mike, it may be Microsoft but it is a brilliant route planner I've yet to find better.

To be honest I have more than once had it installed, but given that the route it gave from Calais to Rouen, or where we live to Dover, was the same as looking at my road atlas, or road signs I can't see the point, besides with a Motorola Razr I, and IGO8 and Tom Tom I think I have all other bases covered. If anyone wants it they can PM me. ;-)

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 7:59 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-30 6:52 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 5:56 PM...................2007 has a much nicer interface than 2010 or 2013, & you can still update the maps to 2013. I wouldn't have updated if it wasn't for Addie's POI's it was worth the 30 quid for 2013 to save a lot of work.

Lenny, do you mean you can run the 2013 maps with the 2007 interface? If so, I'd love to know how to do that - in laymans terms! I think I've still got my 2007 DVD, so would like to try it out.

Yep, just copy the map file in the data folder over, you can try replacing the complete data folder worked for earlier versions not sure with the 2013 data. Rename the data folder in 2007 first then it's easy to get back.

I'll have a look and let you known which are the map files.

Doesn't cure the bug in 2007 where the route line goes off the road.

The two files you need to replace are:

EUR_HD.mad

EUR_CD.mad

Joe90 - 2014-12-30 8:03 PM

I actually inherited a copy of Autoroute 2010 which sits unused and unloved in a draw.

It really is worth the effort give it a try Mike, it may be Microsoft but it is a brilliant route planner I've yet to find better.

To be honest I have more than once had it installed, but given that the route it gave from Calais to Rouen, or where we live to Dover, was the same as looking at my road atlas, or road signs I can't see the point, besides with a Motorola Razr I, and IGO8 and Tom Tom I think I have all other bases covered. If anyone wants it they can PM me. ;-)

You are missing it's main virtues Mike, where it really scores over satnavs is the ability to change /alter routes add via's, pushpins etc. there is no comparison to a satnav it's in a different league.

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 8:32 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-30 8:03 PM

You are missing it's main virtues Mike, where it really scores over satnavs is the ability to change /alter routes add via's, pushpins etc. there is no comparison to a satnav it's in a different league.

I can do everything I want with IGO8, loads of different routing parameters if needed, if I need to change route I normally turn left or right, and with all the POI's you can shake a stick at, courtesy of POI plaza,Camping Car infos and others, plus a smartphone with internet access on the go, with every motorhome related app you can think of, and yet more navigation apps if needed, so I do not need to lug a cumbersome heavy laptop around, end of really. ;-)

Oh and I've never run out of diesel by not working out my refueling stops in advance like BK apparently needs to. . ;-) But you need to remember as you said I'm living in the past, I'm still one of the few that look at signposts as well, like M6 south, etc, for example may faze some folk without dragging their laptop out to check it's the right way they want , why I've even been able to navigate through Rouen whilst the road works have been going on without Drama..........or a laptop, or even a Satnav :D

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-30 5:44 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-28 2:41 PM

...Talk about over egging the pudding...........love Brian Kirbys comment about working out refueling stops, presume he's kidding though, or crossing the Sahara some time soon. ;-)

Ah, but as a non-AutoRoute user, you couldn't appreciate its subtleties. One merely enters (just once) the fuel consumption, the capacity of the tank, and how low one want to run it before refuelling, and the program thereafter flags up where along a route the fuel stops will be required. One can then sniff out a handily located for best fuel prices. So, no great effort required at all, the program does all the work. Maybe not necessary for bumbling around France, with supers in almost every small town, but very useful on long runs in less familiar countries where the supers (and filling stations) are much less frequent. It just helps route planning. Great tool.

I'm afraid that strikes me as overdoing the planning Brian, what's wrong with keeping an eye on the fuel gauge and searching for a supermarket (using the satnav's search facilities) when the guage level drops to the twitch point, which you adjust according to the country/terrain you are in?

Robinhood - 2014-12-31 9:36 AM

...I'm still running 2003 (!) with 2010 data from the trial version.

You could simply keep the map data from the "trial" for free.

I suspect they've closed that loophole though. :-(

Nope can still be done but if using data from 2013 just replace the two files I mentioned above I don't think the full data file is compatible with earlier versions, Map point also uses the same map files.

I have 8.1 on desktop and decided to shell out £33 to download the 2013 version (had 2010)., Whilst doing so a "chat line" popped up, to see if I needed help. Was then passed over to a Tech help guy who took over the PC, remotely, and sorted it all. Works perfectly

Excellent service from MS to be fair.

lennyhb - 2014-12-31 9:51 AM

Nope can still be done but if using data from 2013 just replace the two files I mentioned above I don't think the full data file is compatible with earlier versions, Map point also uses the same map files.

It was Mappoint I used last time.

I'll see whether I can swing another update with the latest trial. :-)

Robinhood - 2014-12-31 10:29 AM

Well, only a quick test, but that seems to have worked again.

FWIW, here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded the Microsoft Mappoint Trial Version

2. Created a system restore point

3. Installed the downloaded package

4. Copied my existing AutoRoute "Data" folder to a backup.

5. Deleted the EUR_CD.mad and EUR_HD.mad files from the AutoRoute "Data" folder

6. Copied the equivalent files in from the Mappoint folder

7. Uninstalled Mappoint via the Control panel

8. Finally, as the Mappoint install puts in some new distributables (C++, office interfaces, etc.) that I didn't want, I reverted back to the restore point created in step 2, which ensured their removal if they didn't go out as part of the uninstall.

My 2003 version of AutoRoute is now certainly using the newer map data.

Robinhood - 2014-12-31 2:50 PM

8. Finally, as the Mappoint install puts in some new distributables (C++, office interfaces, etc.) that I didn't want, I reverted back to the restore point created in step 2, which ensured their removal if they didn't go out as part of the uninstall.

If you had used the trial version of Autoroute 2013 you probably wouldn't have had that problem.

I did try to upload the files to a dropbox for you but gave up when I found out it was going to take a few hours. (lol)

lennyhb - 2014-12-31 3:12 PM

If you had used the trial version of Autoroute 2013 you probably wouldn't have had that problem.

I did try to upload the files to a dropbox for you but gave up when I found out it was going to take a few hours. (lol)

I suspect I might still have. The Win8 problems are (allegedly) associated with specific versions of distributables, and the order in which they get installed against x64 versions of Microsoft s/w.

I generally take a restore point before installing, for just these reasons, and It's even more relevant if you're going to subsequently uninstall anyway.

;-)

StuartO - 2014-12-31 9:49 AM.............I'm afraid that strikes me as overdoing the planning Brian, what's wrong with keeping an eye on the fuel gauge and searching for a supermarket (using the satnav's search facilities) when the guage level drops to the twitch point, which you adjust according to the country/terrain you are in?

Nothing is wrong with that approach at all Stuart, if it is what you prefer.

To be clear, I don't use AutoRoute while driving, only when planning, which I do for the complete trip before we set off. I check the locations of POIs using MapSource/Google Earth, adjust their positions if necessary (POIs age: it is not unknown for supers to close, or change location, same as with sites, aires etc), and just transfer the POIs to the Garmin. I then use the route planner on the Garmin to input the ultimate destination, plus any stops en-route, and save the routes in sequence to be called up as the trip progresses.

That builds a planned itinerary, in which I have good confidence, that will enable me to get straight to the places I want to visit without stopping en-route to faff around looking for places, which may, or may not, still exist. Then, if we choose, we just vary the itinerary as we go, but from a known base with calculable consequences. I hate driving around looking for things based on vague directions. I select where I'm going, I know why I'm going, so I just like to go straight there without meandering around.

This probably places me in a minority of one, but it makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable. I enjoy the planning and the research, and get a certain amount of satisfaction when the plans work out which, as anyone who prefers planning to random discovering will know, is not always the case! Others, I know, prefer to set off with no plan at all, and then just see what the find as they go. As ever, we are all different, and one man's meat etc. etc.

Brian Kirby - 2014-12-31 3:46 PM

lennyhb - 2014-12-30 8:29 PM..............The two files you need to replace are:

EUR_HD.mad

EUR_CD.mad

Thanks for this, Lenny. I'll have a little play!

Except it seems I binned the 2007 DVD when I got the 2013 version! Damn! But thanks for the info anyway. :-(

Mickt - 2014-12-31 12:46 PM

Sophie, Interesting who did you buy autoroute from and have a helpful tech guy

here:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store?SiteID=msuk&Locale=en_GB&Action=DisplayProductSearchResultsPage&result=&keywords=autoroute

The "chat" just popped up!. Then that guy put me through to the tech guy when I said I'd like help-you then have to authorise MS to take over your PC. Worked well though

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I've only just come across it.

I've been happily using AR2010 on Win 7 and having read that it won't work on Win 8.1 I hadn't tried to add it to my laptop till now but I've just installed it and the answer is very easy. When installing just set compatibility to Windows 7!

Job done. Now off to download the trial 2013 and see if I can do the map update trick. Fingers crossed.

Guest peter

Robinhood - 2014-12-31 10:29 AM

Well, only a quick test, but that seems to have worked again.

FWIW, here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded the Microsoft Mappoint Trial Version

2. Created a system restore point

3. Installed the downloaded package

4. Copied my existing AutoRoute "Data" folder to a backup.

5. Deleted the EUR_CD.mad and EUR_HD.mad files from the AutoRoute "Data" folder

6. Copied the equivalent files in from the Mappoint folder

7. Uninstalled Mappoint via the Control panel

Just updated my AR 2007 using the above advice and it worked no problem on my Windows 7 machine.Thanks Robin.

Archived