Winter route Bayonne to Pamplona please

terryW

Sat Nav is suggesting taking the 121 road from the border to Pamplona. Is that route a "no brainer" in February?

Should I go further on and take the A15? Cost ie. diesel/tolls is less important to me than travel time.

The benefit of your experience on this issue would be very much appreciated.

Hi Terry

Have driven that road 3 /4 times in January / February with absolutely no problem whatsoever. only encountered problems further on going to Huesca & Teruel- it is quite high and prone to snow but the snow ploughs clear the roads very quickly. However as with everything motorhoming there are no guarantees!

Bob

Bojitoes - 2014-12-26 5:10 PM

Hi Terry

Have driven that road 3 /4 times in January / February with absolutely no problem whatsoever. only encountered problems further on going to Huesca & Teruel- it is quite high and prone to snow but the snow ploughs clear the roads very quickly. However as with everything motorhoming there are no guarantees!

Bob

Thanks for that Bob. I've not travelled that section before, Normally our route is over the top in the summer and via Madrid in the winter so Pamplona is a new route for us. And I agree with you about following the snow ploughs we found that worked well for us but found out how difficult it can be to get back out of the service areas if you need to take a break. Getting a van up onto a foot or more snow nearly proved to be our undoing last time.

Many thanks Bob

Terry

Hi, I'm assuming you're meaning the excellent N121a, a delight to drive, would love to do it on a motorbike!

We've used it in both Dec & Jan with no problems, bits of snow lying around but a perfectly clear road. This route is so well used by trucks with loads of passing places. Hope to be on it again soon.

starvin marvin - 2014-12-28 9:33 AM

Hi, I'm assuming you're meaning the excellent N121a, a delight to drive, would love to do it on a motorbike!

We've used it in both Dec & Jan with no problems, bits of snow lying around but a perfectly clear road. This route is so well used by trucks with loads of passing places. Hope to be on it again soon.

From what you say this route sounds like one for the summer, on a long fast winter drive passing places don't do it for me. Don't get me wrong I'm no stranger to taking a MH along mountain roads, having crossed the Pyrenees by most of the passes. Having looked at the route again me thinks that as going round the Motorway only adds 19 miles and may actually be faster that's the way for us on this occasion.

Many thanks for your thoughts folks.

Archived