FITTING A REVERSING CAMERA

KIMU122

Has anybody fitted a reversing camera themselves on a motorhome. I want to try but havent got the nerve so would like some feedback as to how hard it is or easy? The main part I cannot get my head around is the wiring from front of MH to rear is this done thru cupboards or is it done under floor?

Hi Beverley, The most complicated part of fitting a reversing camera system to a motorhome is the mechanical part, that is fitting it securely without allowing any posibility of water ingress. I am sure that some fit the wiring through cupboards and some run it under the van. It all depends on the easiest route. Irrespective of where the wires run they have to link both camera and monitor to a 12 volt supply so in my book this means that you run the multicore cable between the camera and monitor, then a 12 volt feed to the monitor from the vehicles ignition circuit. Many suppliers provide the cables ready terminated. Rear view cameras are too usefull to be used just for reversing, ours doubles an an internal rear view mirror as the monitor is fitted directly above the rear view mirror. But, it is a job that needs to be done by someone who is confident. For us it was convienient to mount the camera on an aluminium arm overlooking the back of the motorhome. Our wiring went the same route as that for the solar panel, through the roof via a water tight cable gland which was fitted in a vertical upstand in the GRP towards the side of the Autotrail roof. This way it would never end up sat in a puddle. It may help if you have a glance at my instalation as shown on my website. http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/REAR%20VIEW%20CAMERA.htm Good luck

I agree with Clive on this it is a really easy job to do. I have just installed one on a friends van, the camera is one designed to fit into a boot lock hole and I was scepticle that it would give a very good view as it was required for rear view rather than parking. Although we installed it about two feet from the ground, just above the number plate, the rear view is extroadinarily good even with cars close behind such is the field of vision. Also surprisingly there is no 'fish eye' effect either and you can see as a reversing camera obstructions at the extreme edge of the van to about 18 inches from the rear of the van, very impressive. The monitor is built in to a mirror, which it becomes when the monitor is not in use. It attaches to the existing rear view mirror and there is the facility for a second camera that will be auto selected when reverse gear is engaged if you require a downward looking camera for reversing, this also auto turns on the monitor if it is off. The wiring is by means of a twin cable one for power the other for RCA video connection (phono plug and socket), an additional longer cable was needed as the origional was car length, which just plugs in to the sockets on the monitor and camera. The cable was run completely under the van from the camera, with cable ties attatching it at strategic points. It entered into the cab through an existing grommet in the floor for LHD hand brake and is lost behind the footwell, plastic capping and above the cab lining to the mirror position, the advantage of this is there is nothing going through the habitation area involving lots of work with trunking etc.. A slight modification was required to reshape the semi rigid roof lining as the new mirror is slightly taller and was being forced out of position by the pressure from the headlining. The whole job took less than one day to complete and the cost was £79.99 for the monitor and camera plus £19 postage and £6.90 for the extra lead plus postage. The dealer is in Liverpool and delivery was next working day 24hr Internet Express. Don't be fooled by the competative prices this is really good VFM and gives you a brilliant 5.5" colour monitor/ mirror and sealed camera, it is so much better than the one I paid £275 for, that I now have one myself to be fitted over the next day when it doesn't rain! Bas

Thanks to the both of you for your response i bought the camera on e-bay and just waiting for it to come through. I must say that this forum never ceases to amaze me the fountain of knowledge out there just waiting to help people like me. A BIG THANKS SO FAR

Guest bill h
What do you need a camera for? I reverse up my drive into a narrow section and its only got a few inches clearance each side. I position two chocks at the rear before reversing so's I don't hit the wall. Never a problem. That's what mirrors are for. bill h

I frequently tow a small trailer with two motorcycles on it. This trailer cannot be seen with any of the vehicles mirrors. But I can even do a 3 point turn with it on the back using the camera. As my mother used to claim she had eyes in her backside, well I now understand the benefits of this!! C.

[QUOTE]bill h - 2006-10-01 1:30 PM What do you need a camera for? I reverse up my drive into a narrow section and its only got a few inches clearance each side. I position two chocks at the rear before reversing so's I don't hit the wall. Never a problem. That's what mirrors are for. bill h[/QUOTE] I was asked this question by a wee Scotsman at one of the motorhome shows but before I could respond a passer by replied thus: "I used to drive an artic for a living and one day I pulled over to a newsagents to get a paper. When I came out of the shop I found some idiot had reversed a Vectra up to my front bumper which meant I had to reverse a fourty foot, 44 Tonne wagon to get out. I walked around the back of the rig and saw that I'd got about two clear car lengths, say 35 feet or so. I walked down the offside and got into the cab, started the motor and engaged reverse, checked my mirrors and started the manouvre. Once I'd reversed about a ca's length I fiured I could swing round the Vectra so engaged first and pulled out. Imagine my horror to see a very mangled Mini in the space behind the truck." What had happened apparently is that during the few moments it ook to walk the length of the truck, get in and start the engine a woman pulled in behind the truckin the Mini. She hadn't even had time to get out before the truck hit her car and pushed her backwards into the front of a newish Mercedes saloon car. He reckoned it took the fire service an hour or more to cut her out and thankfully she wasn't physically injured (just a gibbering wreck I should think). The Mini was a complete write off and the Merc sufered several thousand pounds worth of damage. The truck driver was demoted to 7.5 Tonners with a commensurate cut in pay. He was charged with "driving without due care and attention" although he didn't say whether he was prosecuted or not. In his own words "if the company had fitted reversing cameras to the fleet this would not have hapened, I'd still be driving big trucks and earning sensible money and the lady would probably still have her beloved Mini". I think that is reason enough to fit reversing cameras to any large vehicle with large rear blind spots. D.

KIMU122 I had always had to drive commercial vehicles up to 7.5t as part of earning a living, apart from later days when I became the national manager of my unit and I then had company cars, I only say this to make the point that I am used to driving vehicles with restricted vision on side mirrors. Fortunately I never experienced an accident due to reversing. The motorhome we have has little rear view vision through the van due to half the rear being the toilet/ shower, so I am restricted what can be seen in the same way as a commercial van. I have no option but to reverse out of my drive onto a road with severly restricted view up and down the road due to trees and shrubs/hedges and am actually half way across the road before I have safe IMO vision. This means I have crossed a footpath that is used by many small children both walking and on bikes with a one foot width of vision either side of the van until I reach my safe point. The camera setup gives unrestricted rear view behind the motorhome and also by switching between cameras I know exactly what is going on without the need for a second person to help direct me. For the first time since owning a motorhome I feel totally happy and unstressed backing from my drive. Had I still been at work I would have implemented rear view camera setups on all vehicles down to car derived vans thats how impressed I am and how important I believe they are, this is one area I would like the HSE to rule that it was a legal requirement. IMO everyone with restricted rear view vision needs one. Bas.

HSE are worknig towards this Bas. You can't take any vehicle over 3500KGs into virtually any quarry in the country without a rear view camera now. Many big building sites won't let trucks on site without cameras and some of the bigger businesses won't let them onto their loading bays without. D.

Archived