Newhaven ferry

unclealbert

Hello from the white rose county. Have been caravanning for several years and enjoy trips abroad, especially France. But 2015 will be our first attempt with a motorhome. Have used various ferries over the years, usually from Hull (the terminal is a 10 minute drive) also Dover and Portsmouth. Looking at Newhaven-Dieppe and have two questions. Wondered what the ships are like and the other question -Is it possible to park overnight on the terminal for the 0900 sailing? Would be grateful for any views about using this crossing. Our destination will be the west coast down to the Dordogne region.

We have used the crossing from Newhaven to Dieppe for several years now. Its much cheaper and two hours shorter than say Portsmouth to Caen with Brittany Ferries and the ship, although perhaps not quite as "posh" is perfectly adequate for a 4 hour sailing with all the usual - reclining seating lounge, restaurant, cabins if required, shop etc etc We always use the 11 pm sailing (having driven down from Sheffield) which gets into Dieppe 4 am French time, pull into the harbour aire, a few hours snooze in our comfy bed, breakfast and off! 5 am sailing back, having spent overnight in same aire. I am pretty certain you can stay at Newhaven overnight but would check. All in all a good experience we think - 5 week return Sept - Oct 2014 £111. Not bad. Worth a try for you.

The Newhaven ferry-port website’s FAQ section includes the following advice:

Q1. Is it possible to park overnight with a car and caravan ready for the early ferry?

A1. Yes, there is limited overnight parking.

http://www.newhavenferryport.co.uk/faq.htm

As Hazy Baby advises, it would be wise to confirm what this actually means. How limited is “limited” and are there any restrictions like you can’t park at the port before a specific time?

This is a 2012 discussion http://tinyurl.com/kmj448p but things may well have changed since then.

If it helps, the GPS for the port road is N50.79490 E0.05409. This will place you at the entrance to the car park and port terminal. There are about 36 car parking places outside, which I assume they are referring to, plus some truck bays. It will not be especially quiet as the car park is quite close to the A259. Newhaven is a small port and has limited facilities compared with Dover. The exit from Dieppe port is excellent, and the road down to the A28/A29 junction, just south of Saint Saens, is good.

Thanks for your advice. The word 'limited' has put me off original idea. Sounds like Newhaven is a good alternative to Dover- Calais but minimum price I can get in May/June is £144 return but still a heck of a lot cheaper than Hull/Zeeb.Crossing at 2300 would also be a possibility. Will look at that.

Wherever you sail from, it might be a good idea to book it asap. Fare's are expected to go up after Thursday or very shortly after. New EU rules come inforce about ships having to use expensive low sulphur diesel or install very expensive sulphur filters in their ships.

Only one way to pay for all this is by raising prices. I would expect they will be close to the tunnel fares in future.

And DFDS is closing it's Portsmouth to Le Havre route this week. What Brittany Ferry's fares will be after is anyone's guess.

Dave

Leaving Dieppe on the D1 south you have an Aire that is about 5 miles away at Saint Nicolas d'Aliermont and another one at Mesnier en Bray just off the D1 before you get to Neufchatel en Bray (this is a good point to pick up Junction 9 of the A28) which also has the excellent caravan site Camping Ste Claire which is well worth a stay. All in all lots of opportunity for a quiet stop without staying at the port.

Alan

AlanS - 2014-12-28 4:35 PM

Leaving Dieppe on the D1 south you have an Aire that is about 5 miles away at Saint Nicolas d'Aliermont and another one at Mesnier en Bray just off the D1 before you get to Neufchatel en Bray (this is a good point to pick up Junction 9 of the A28) which also has the excellent caravan site Camping Ste Claire which is well worth a stay. All in all lots of opportunity for a quiet stop without staying at the port.

Alan

I quite agree Alan. We have also used these aries instead of the one at the port. But arriving at 4 am in the dark I do prefer to get my head down straight away for a proper snooze before any driving at all. There is also a great new aire next to the site at Neufchatel. It is 12 euro but has electric hook up, individual hardstanding and very secure. The Pays en Bray is a lovely area really and too good in a way to go scooting through!

Have used Sainte Claire when I had a caravan, A really nice site. Think I will take the am ferry and head for there. The aire had just been opened when we were there and it looks brilliant. Even got a digital sign at the barrier to tell you how many vacant spaces! Now I have new found freedom with a motorhome I might even give it a try.

unclealbert - 2014-12-29 7:00 PM

Have used Sainte Claire when I had a caravan, A really nice site. Think I will take the am ferry and head for there. The aire had just been opened when we were there and it looks brilliant. Even got a digital sign at the barrier to tell you how many vacant spaces! Now I have new found freedom with a motorhome I might even give it a try.

Yes Camping Sainte Claire is a lovely site, both the site and the Aire adjacent. The owners, Monsieur and Madame Ancelot are very helpful and keep the site immaculate. It is worth booking a pitch prior to arrival even during the low periods as it does get busy. The town of Neufchatel is only a short walk away and worth exploring too, as well as the nearby WW2 V1 rockets sites. How great it is to walk or cycle on the green walk just outside the gates (disused railway line that has been adapted for radoneurs) and is mostly flat all the way to Dieppe.

If you intend going to the site do not turn up until after 13.00 hours as their policy, as of this year, was to have pitches vacated before 12.00 hours then they have their break before booking people in after 13.00 hours - there is no exception to this. This does not apply to the Aire though as it works on a 24 hour period dependant on arrival times.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...
lennyhb - 2015-01-15 3:52 PM

Just booked Newhaven to Dieppe for 26th May 9:00am, retuning 18th June 12:30pm, £115.20, Also booked single for Sept 8th 9:00am for £57.60 couldn't book the return timetable for October not available until June.

Lenny

That was a good price - what were the length and height restrictions on your price, if any ?

Will you be booking the October return leg whilst in France or will it be better to do that in the UK before you go ?

Alan

Size 4.2 x 7 m band van is actually 7.2 but they didn't check last time, return was £144 less the over 60, 20% discount.

It was a no brain'er with Dover Calais at nearly 100 quid and we are only 22 miles from Newhaven. Dover is 95 miles across country or 110 miles via M23, M25, M20 for us.May have to visit our dealer (Belgium) on one of the trips for the annual damp check, only 10 miles further via Dieppe and I would rather do the driving in France.

Will probably book return as soon as timetable is out, last year went across for 10 days at the end of May booked about a month before and cost £192, would have been about £15 less if we hadn't gone out on a Saturday.

At the moment tearing my hair out trying to book Italy to Greece, had a chat with a girl from Viramare via Skype, easier to book through them as they deal with all the ferry lines, do not appear to be able to get a quote for arriving at one port with the return via a different port.

Hi. I used the Newhaven Ferry last September. It is true the ferries there are not the most modern but good enough for a four hour crossing.

I decided to stay at the Caravan Club site in Brighton the night before as I was not too keen on anywhere near Newhaven for an overnight stay.

May be worth considering if you are a member

lennyhb - 2015-01-15 5:20 PM

Size 4.2 x 7 m band van is actually 7.2 but they didn't check last time, return was £144 less the over 60, 20% discount.

It was a no brain'er with Dover Calais at nearly 100 quid and we are only 22 miles from Newhaven. Dover is 95 miles across country or 110 miles via M23, M25, M20 for us.May have to visit our dealer (Belgium) on one of the trips for the annual damp check, only 10 miles further via Dieppe and I would rather do the driving in France.

Will probably book return as soon as timetable is out, last year went across for 10 days at the end of May booked about a month before and cost £192, would have been about £15 less if we hadn't gone out on a Saturday.

At the moment tearing my hair out trying to book Italy to Greece, had a chat with a girl from Viramare via Skype, easier to book through them as they deal with all the ferry lines, do not appear to be able to get a quote for arriving at one port with the return via a different port.

Lenny

I have had a look at the LD/DFDS site for our friends who want to cross that route - when and how do you get the over 60 20% discount. Is it right at the end when you give them your card details. When I tried It worked out at £208 for their car and caravan in September without the discount.

Alan

Thanks for the heads up Lenny,

I've just booked the day before you for £54.50 one way.That's without the discount as I'm not quite old enough yet. Cheaper than last time I looked and a couple of quid cheaper than crossing Calais or Dunkirk for that date with 6m van.

Alan you have to book by phone for the over 60 20% discount.

Korky.

AlanS - 2015-01-15 9:13 PM

lennyhb - 2015-01-15 5:20 PM

Lenny

I have had a look at the LD/DFDS site for our friends who want to cross that route - when and how do you get the over 60 20% discount. Is it right at the end when you give them your card details. When I tried It worked out at £208 for their car and caravan in September without the discount.

Alan

You have to phone on this number 0800 917 1201

I've booked Newhaven - Dieppe for September this week. For our 6.0m motorhome and a 5.0m trailer carrying a vintage car it was £190 return booked through the CC - 9.00am out, 12.00 noon return. Tunnel would have been £480, Portsmouth - Le Havre with Brittany Ferries £500+

As said above, a 'no brainer'.

FD

Archived