swivelseats for Avantgarde120

smallvanman6341

Hi everyone have had our first motorhome for 3 months its Peugeot Boxer based Avantgarde 120 and although its been a learning curve mostly because dealers promise the earth and deliver the sand we are very pleased I am a joiner cabinetmaker and was able to get over all those little niggles that their 100 point inspection misses.Any way enough moans.Does anybody know if I can install seat swivelsor rather will the seats work on swivels any tips greatly appreciated (?)

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I believe Compass Avantgarde 120 models were built on two versions of the Peugeot Boxer - years 1994-2006 or year 2007-onwards. You haven’t said in which year your motorhome was manufactured, but this will matter when ordering seat-swivels.

In principle it should be straightforward to fit seat-swivels (as long as you ordered the correct type!) as it’s almost certainly the case that your Avantgarde will have standard Peugeot Boxer cab-seats.

How well the seats work after swivels have been fitted will depend on which swivels you choose (some function better than others). If you want both seats to rotate through 180 degrees, you’ll have to decide whether that’s a realistic possibility with your motorhome. For example, there might be a rigid bulkhead behind one of the seats that would prevent the seat rotating right round.

Another thing to beware of is that adding a seat-swivel will raise the height of the seat significantly. This can affect the seating comfort for a shorter driver/passenger or reduce the view through the windscreen for a taller driver/passenger. Lower replacement seat ‘boxes’ are available to counter this.

If you GOOGLE-search on “motorhome seat swivel” (omitting the quotes) you’ll retrieve quite a few entries. These are just a couple of examples:

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/-c-338_369.html

http://www.swivel-seats.com/

Hi

We used to have an '07 plate Avantgarde 120 Suntor some years back and that had swivels on both cab seats and the ones on ours did appear to raise the seats quite a bit, which gave the feeling that you were almost going to clack your head on the shelf above the screen...but as I'm not overly tall, 5'9", it was something I could just get used to, although for anyone much taller, it may be much more of an irritation.

(and it was certainly no worse than the "head clearance" that we had with the previous '03 A/S Duetto cab).

Having said that, I couldn't see *why they bothered fitting a swivel for the driver seat, as it was up against the shower room wall anyway and what with having to shuffle it on the sliders, just to get it to rotate 90 degrees, I don't think we ever swivelled it in anger...

(*I dare say,just a case of ordering/spec'ing the chassis before knowing exacting what layout body is going on them..?)

Trouble with swivels (they are readily available with a bit searching) is tall people end up to high in the seat and have to duck their head to get a clear view out side whilst short passengers quite often have their legs dangling uncomfortably. On a previous van I managed to get reduced height seat bases before fitting seat swivels, again found on the web with a bit of searching.

pepe63 - 2014-12-28 10:34 AM

Hi

We used to have an '07 plate Avantgarde 120 Suntor some years back and that had swivels on both cab seats and the ones on ours did appear to raise the seats quite a bit, which gave the feeling that you were almost going to clack your head on the shelf above the screen...but as I'm not overly tall, 5'9", it was something I could just get used to, although for anyone much taller, it may be much more of an irritation.

(and it was certainly no worse than the "head clearance" that we had with the previous '03 A/S Duetto cab).

Having said that, I couldn't see *why they bothered fitting a swivel for the driver seat, as it was up against the shower room wall anyway and what with having to shuffle it on the sliders, just to get it to rotate 90 degrees, I don't think we ever swivelled it in anger...

(*I dare say,just a case of ordering/spec'ing the chassis before knowing exacting what layout body is going on them..?)

On-line Compass brochures indicate that, whichever Boxer chassis an Avantgarde 120 was built on (pre-1997 or later), the layout has the shower-room directly behind the driver’s seat and (as you describe) rotation of that seat will be tricky and restricted.

As the Avantgarde 120 model has a rear U-lounge layout, it’s debatable, in my view, whether fitting cab-seat swivels would be cost-effective, though I guess a swivelled passenger-seat might be useful for the cook. I'd certainly not bother fitting one to the driver’s seat.

Had a swivel fitted on passenger seat of our Elddis Sunseeker 120 (pretty much identical).

Quite a useful addition as somewhere to sit when her indoors had a lay in and made the van a lot more spacious.

Didn't bother with drivers seat due to shower right behind.

Andy

Archived