Battle of Waterloo 2015

Peter Pan

We are planning to attend the commemoration event in June. However the organisers do not appear to be prepared for campers at the event. The Waterloo tourist office advise me that the nearest campsite is 20 min. drive but that could turn into 1 hour or more assuming the traffic will be heavy on the day.

Does anyone have any better suggestions on how to travel to this event with a motorhome?

We visited the battle site back in 2008 and public parking was limited then.

George Collings - 2014-12-30 5:30 PM

The original event was an away game for most of the participants. I doubt many French supporters will bother to attend for the commemoration. Turn up early park and dig in and if anyone wants you to move mutter about your mate Blucher coming later.

I think you may find the french will swamp it. They do not look on it as a defeat at best a draw.

If you ever go there you will find not a single mention of a British victory (apart from the bloody great hill with a lion on) which is not a British monument but to commemorate the location where William II of the Netherlands (the Prince of Orange) was knocked from his horse by a musket ball to the shoulder during the battle. When i visited the book shop some years ago I could not find a single edition on Wellington or our victory. Only overwhelming Napoleon.

Not many place to park either.

P

Archived