Campingcar-infos website - Apple Mac problems?

Derek Uzzell

I’m having problems with the ‘mapping’ of the aires part of the campingcar-infos website.

I’d be grateful if a forum-member who uses an Apple Mac and the Safari browser, and who is familiar with the campingcar-infos website, would carry out a test for me, please.

1: Enter the website and click on the “Chercher/ajouter une aire” button.

2: Select the “Navigation sans onglets (photos, commentaires et cartes sur les fiches)” option.

3: Select FRANCE.

4: When the outline map of France appears, click on any of the departements.

What happens next for you?

At this point I’d expect to get (and always used to get) a map appear of the departement I had chosen and with the aires within that departement ‘flagged’ on that map.

What I now get is a message (in red) CHARGEMENT EN COURS, MERCI DE PATIENTER... However, being patient does no good as no map of the departement I’ve selected ever appears.

If you do manage to get a map of the chosen departement, could you say what version of OS X and Safari you use, please. (I have an iMac running OS X 10.6.8 and Safari 5.21.10)

(There are other ‘mapping’ difficulties I’m having with the website’s aires feature, but the above simple test may give me a clue as to where the problem lies and how I might best approach the campingcar-infos webmasters about it.)

Thanks

Hi Derek

I am very pleased to be able to help given the effort and help you have provided it is a very small reciprocation.

Just went through the routine you suggested and got to the map quickly and with any difficulty

I am using 8.0.2 Safari and Yosemite 10.10.1 O/S i.e. the latest and very newly downloaded.

Ley me know if I can do any more to assist or PM me if you want.

Best wishes

Laurence

Thanks for carrying out the test, Laurence.

I had a sneaking feeling it was the age of the software I’m running that was the cause of my problem and the fact that the the mapping works OK with your latest-version operating-system/browser reinforces that suspicion.

It’s only the campingcar-infos website’s mapping that seems to be playing hard to get (so far!!) As I’m not desperate to use that facillity, I’m not going to carry out any OS/Safari upgrading (or download an alternative browser) until it becomes plain that I must.

I’ll contact the campingcar-infos people just in case they are aware that some 'vintage’ Mac users are having trouble and can offer a work-around.

I’ve yet to contact the campingcar-infos guys and gals but, in the meantime I’ve installed GOOGLE Chrome and this sidesteps the problems I was having with that website.

It seems plain that there’s a conflict between my elderly version of Safari and the latest version of campingcar-infos.

Hi,

I have the same OS 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.10 and have found the same problem!

But if I click on the list of aires tab lower down the page then click on the map tab it works but the map is zoomed out to the whole of Europe. Double clicking the pile of icons zooms right in.
 The problem doesn't occur if I use the Google Chrome browser

Happy New Year

Steve

Steve

What you describe is one of the “...other ‘mapping’ difficulties I’m having with the website’s aires feature...” that I mentioned in my original post. I didn’t bother going into detail as the test I asked be performed was simplest to describe.

As you’ll be aware Apple has ceased support for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6) and there are quite a few on-line reports of software applications starting to become glitchy when run under that operating system. The Safari browser version integrated into Snow Leopard seems to be the most problematical and received wisdom suggests 3 options

1: If something starts to work oddly under Safari 5, use a different browser (both of us have found that campingcar-infos works OK using Chrome).

2: Upgrade to Lion (OS X 10.7) which would obtain a later version of Safari. (Not something to be done lightly and would only provide a limited period of breathing-space.)

3: Future-proof by buying a new Apple computer which would come with the latest OS X and Safari browser.

As it’s only campingcar-infos that’s currently acting peculiarly in my case (I don’t know if that’s also true for you?) and I can use Chrome as a workaround, I’m not going to take the upgrade-to-Lion route. If things get really bad I’ll just have to fork out for a new computer.

(I’m doubtful that this is fixable from the campingcar-infos end, or whether they’d even be prepared to put in effort to try to fix it, but I’ll try it on them to see what they say).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived