looking to drive with my motorhome from s wales tost tropez

davieboy

I have done the trip a couple of times. last year was the latest. I never paid a toll the whole way there and back.

Through Germany is good but they are on about putting tolls on the mways (currently free) or through France, using the non mway roads and taking your time.

Any supermarket in France, Germany Austria, Italy and so on will be cheap for fuel and everything else.

I use Aldi for food and wherever for fuel.

Just put St Tropez into the satnav and choose a route.

H

Have a look here

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/key-rates.htm

You should be able to calculate your toll costs if you have worked out your route.

You can buy your diesel at the autoroute ( motorway) services, alternatively you can buy fuel at many supermarkets just like in UK, likewise the wine.

I find that if getting to a largish supermarket early then I can park easily enough even if I have to occupy several parking slots.

The French are much more relaxed about this than in the UK!

im in bridgend not far from Cardiff looking forward to driving down to st tropez in the motorhome the tunnel seams to be the fastest but not sure maybe the ferry is better so i can have longer rest before driving again

is august a good time to go or will it be very busy with it being the school holiday period

We drove down south of France in September from Port Talbot, much quieter than August when it's busy. If your in a rush take the motorway, we prefer not to as the toll roads soon add up. Our van is a tag axle so cost more. The motorway service stations are more expensive, you see more supermarkets when you travel on the N roads where fuel is cheaper. One thing to remember lots of fuel stations close on Sunday's. We spent approx £450 on fuel in France for three weeks. We used to use the ferry, but so much quicker on the tunnel for us now 35 mins.

that's a shame regarding the pre paid cards i had one when i worked in Germany still got 100 euros left on it

is it worth taking it for other use like supermarket shopping or will i be better off taking cash.

i do have a debit card where i do not get charged for using it abroad but not sure of the exchange rate

please advise

davieboy - 2014-12-30 10:08 AM

that's a shame regarding the pre paid cards i had one when i worked in Germany still got 100 euros left on it

is it worth taking it for other use like supermarket shopping or will i be better off taking cash.

i do have a debit card where i do not get charged for using it abroad but not sure of the exchange rate

please advise

A pre paid card will work if there is a cashier at the pumps, they work in most other places so still worth having. You can use your debit card as well, exchange rate on most debit cards is good.

Archived