Naivety strikes - New MH question

BeefyJ

Just realised I've ordered a new motorhome but haven't tied down the essentials that should be included! It's a Chausson Best of 510, seriously what should come with it? Leisure battery? Hook-up?

Did the whole 'chase the list price' deal and possibly fell into the trap. I'm £500 deposit in at the moment so I guess there's not a lot of movement if I've missed relatively cheap items I should have agreed on.

Only realised as I picked up a new car 2 weeks ago and all the wife said was 'where are the mats?'. Damn those sales people and gullible customers!

Thanks.

Leisure battery, and that will be your lot..............time to get your plastic out... ;-) :D

and that will be ongoing, welcome to the world of Motorhoming. ;-)

Having paid the deposit you've lost your bargaining power.

If you've gained a good discount you can buy the extras you actually need.

Check what leisure battery, gas bottles, curtains and other removable accessories are fitted.

If you've missed out on cooker, cab air conditioning, cruise control and unmoveable fittings, then I guess it's uneconomic to retro fit.

I think a Chausson “Best of 510” will be based on the outgoing Fiat Ducato X250 chassis rather than the latest X290 version.

If that’s correct, there’s a specification-list for a 2014 model here:

http://www.highbridgecaravans.co.uk/newmotorhomedetails.php?ID=991

(The quoted engine capacity of 2000cc is wrong - all RHD models will have a 2300cc motor.)

As has already been advised, a leisure-battery should be provided. Based on the following cautionary tale

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/2nd-leisure-battery-for-Chausson-Flash-04/30661/

you would be wise to check what make/type of battery this is when you are inspecting the vehicle prior to accepting it (or, better still, ask the vendor if he/she knows what battery make/type will be fitted).

I would not expect a hook-up cable to be part of the Chausson standard specification, nor a gas-bottle, but a cooperative vendor might provide both free-of-charge if you ask nicely. (Again, it would be better to check this with the vendor sooner rather than later.)

You ought to have a written purchase contract with the vendor and this OUGHT to carry adequate details of the motorhome you are agreeing to buy.

I don’t know what advertising approach Chausson uses nowadays, but it used to be the case that Chausson provided technical specifiication information in a leaflet separate from the main ‘glossy’ brochure and it was relatively straightforward to decide what the base specification of each mootorhome was, what options were offered and what equipment ‘packs’ were available. (I’m assuming that, as you are inquiring only about relatively cheap - though necessary - things, you are sure about the more expensive equipment that you anticipate the motorhome will have.)

It will be worth taking stock of the extras which you will sooner or later need, and whether to go for the basic verions or the better provision you might later wish you had.

Some you can organise yourself, so no need to go back capin hand, some you might have blown - like cab air conditioning, which is extremely valuable and has to be specified with the order for the vehicle. Same with cruise control, which I think is great. Maybe not too late if you go back to the salesman about those options f it is a new MH.

Not a catastrophe to start off with a single rented gas bottle but it will be worth considering a re-fillable bottle to compliment it. Then you live of the refillable, refilling as needed, and use the other one (which can be smaller. lighter, as a fall back cotingency only. I bought two refillables, as many do, but that isn't really necessary - or desirable in terms of the unnecessary payload which it adds.

You may decide you need more than one leisure battery, in which case buy the same type as the existing, and wire it up in parallel. If you buy from the MH dealer he might fit it free or cheaply.

You will also probably want a TV aerial if you watch TV in the MH, probably a satellite system if you plan to go abroad. You can get that fitted later. (I rarely use our broadcast TV aerial these days, even in UK and wouldn't fit one next time. I think a fully automatic statelite aerial is worth the cost, having tried a tripod mounter dish to start with.)

Negotiating a price for a satellite aerial and a wind-out awning would have been worthwhile at the time you were buying the MH but it's not vital and you should be able to do OK by shopping around. Worth waiting to see if you really need an awning perhaps because we don't use ours all that much and it is a big lump to be carting around.

Solar panels are a good accessory and I wish we had gone for them earlier. Aim for at least 100 watts, preferably 140 or more if you watch TV. Make sure you get it/them fitted by a good form and that the correct type of regulator is fitted.

A new MH should come with led lighting but if yours had ordinary halogen lamps, plan to swap them for led asap. Replacements are easily available, including on EBay.

And there is a host of other stuff, like wheel ramps, electrical adapters etc etc which you tend to buy at dealerships and shows and accumulate as you go along.

Hi Beefy....

Although you've already paid your deposit, if it's only really the "odds'n'sods" that you're looking to check on/haggle for(and not the likes of complete engine upgrades etc!), then I'd certainly be popping back and having a word with them, to see what they'll "throw in" (you are after all, buying a 40K plus van from them..)

..at worst, at least their reaction will give you some indication of how "accommodating" they will be to deal with if/when you should need to take it back in to have any snagging/warranty work done... :-S

Personally, other than a lead, some levellers, a *gas bottle and maybe a set of cab insulating screens, I'd probably hold back on going too daft on getting(and lugging about!)too many "must haves", until such times as you find that YOU actually need them... :-D

* If you are going to need to pay out the 30 odd quid for the "hire" of an exchange cylinder, it may(may?) be worth you looking a getting a refillable cylinder?(.. especially if you intend to take the van abroad a lot).

We were able to fit a 13kg Calor bottle into our last van, which at the time, nearly halved the cost of our gas (over using a 6kg)but we didn't take ours abroad, so not being able to exchange it wasn't an issue for us.

But if we were to do it again, I probably would look a having one refillable bottle(with one exchange, "just in case")

Edit: Oops! Sorry chaps..I crossed your posts (the kettle boiled.. :$ )

Archived