Condensation

AlanS

I bet the o.p wishes he'd kept it to himself now. :D

Of course the answer is to use the bloody van.........as Mr M Cain would say.

Brian Kirby - 2015-01-05 6:01 PM

StuartO - 2015-01-05 2:08 PM.........................Does this boil down to admiting that you don't realy know I wonder? :-D ........................

More or less, yes. :-D I think I understand the general principle, but on a day to day basis?.......

The problem is that we only understand the physics superficially and we don't have the requisite information about the way weather impacts of a motorhome - of which there are many different sorts. Different construction and insuation standards, different ventilation arrangements and so on.

I was rather hopinga clever chap like you would bottom this Brian! :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Following on from my earlier observations I have been regularly checking our motorhome, especially during this recent very cold weather and no condensation has been evident (apart from slight occasional misting on the windscreen when the sun come up on it). I haven't got our silverscreen fitted nor got any heating operating inside the MH. So, in my opinion it was just down to the unusual weather conditions at the time.

Alan

peter - 2015-01-05 6:30 PM

Of course the answer is to use the bloody van.........

Amen to that. All these poor vans sitting there stuffed full of cardboard..

The roads are empty, the parking and wild camping spots are deserted and the scenery is at its stunning, wintery best.

It's my favourite motorhoming time of year.

We put two moisture traps in ours and empty them weekly, we have done this for years with both

motorhomes and caravans Don't heat the van for short intervals that only makes things worse, open all

the cupboards lift up the bed mattress in our case or seats so you get a good flow of air , don't have

anything leaning on the outside walls you don't want moisture trapped! you will be surprised at just how much water you have to empty out.

• 2 months later...
Throughout the winter months I have done all I can to prevent condensation and followed many of the hints and tips in this thread. So last night, while showing friends around the van, I was horrified to find spots of damp on the mattress when lowering the drop down bed. We've managed to clean it up OK but I guess the lesson might be to lower the bed to allow full air circulation around it.

Budgie823 - 2015-03-28 12:58 PM

Throughout the winter months I have done all I can to prevent condensation and followed many of the hints and tips in this thread. So last night, while showing friends around the van, I was horrified to find spots of damp on the mattress when lowering the drop down bed. We've managed to clean it up OK but I guess the lesson might be to lower the bed to allow full air circulation around it.

Well, yes.

If leaving them on board over winter, the thing to do is to lift the mattress, seat bases & backs and leave them propped(away from the van wall), so air can circulate. :-S

We have a few Caravans and Motorhomes stored on site over Winter and we advise owners to let as much sun in as possible.

The old advice to keep Blinds, etc. closed to prevent Sun fade of the fabrics is necessary in Summer, but in Winter let the Sun in. Just turn the cushions upside down, tuck curtains out of the way, etc. Open ALL doors : cupboards, wardrobe and bathroom to encourage air flow. Move every thing in bed boxes etc, away from the external walls. Pull the cushions forward to leave an air gap.

Especially don't pull the blinds across the roof vents as that can severely restrict air flow on some vehicles.

My theory (probably completely wrong) is that the vehicle air warms up during a sunny day. The warmer Air can hold more moisture so sucks up any in the van. As the air temperature drops the difference between the Interior and exterior temperature causes cold dense air that has already dropped its moisture to enter the van from the 'ground' vents and the warmer, moisture laden air, to rise and escape out of the roof vents.

So whenever there is a sunny day followed by a very Cold Night (often clear sunny daytime skies are followed by very cold evenings) the temperature difference purges the van of moisture. The greater the temperature difference the drier the air entering at the ground level and the higher the humidity in the moisture laden air rising out the roof vents.

We have never had an issue with condensation when we re-commission the vans in the Spring. We do see condensation on the inside of the windscreen at the start of the Storage period, but by the time of mid November the windscreens are dry. We suspect because the moisture content inside the van is initially high from having been lived in plus the relatively higher temperatures of night mean a higher moisture content. When the outside night temperature really drops versus a warm day is when the magic works. The colder the night the greater the effect.

Go into the motorhome on a sunny day in January and you might be surprised how warm it is compared to the outside temperature.

Our habitation Service Sheet advises the above, if only to stop the Blind Springs from being under constant tension and becoming weak.

Archived