dog passport

jordano

we have had our dog passport fo two years now and are planning to go abroard again in Jan- Feb my question is do we need to renew the rabies injection before we go had a lot of options adviced . but nobody seems to know for sure. i know lots of the members travel with dogs, what have they done?

Hi there, best suggest you consult the vet that issued the passport, then you will get the correct information. I do understand that the rabies jab is every 3 years in the U.K , but here in France we have to renew every year. You can have the jab done anywhere in the E.U but you cannot return to the U.K for 21 days. Hope this helps.

Afternoon folks,

The dog passport lasts 3 years. If you look at the green stamp in the passport there is date which will tell you.

P s our bundle of trouble needs his renewing in feb which must be his third or fourth.

norm

Hi there, we had the same problem. Our vet in the UK who issued the passport some years ago looked into this anomaly for us...some countries require a rabies booster every year, some every two years. They contacted DEFRA and eventually concluded that it is indeed a grey area particularly for travelling to France, who ask for a one year booster for their own documentation. The conclusion was that a two year booster would probably suffice but to stay on the safe side, have it done yearly if going to France. That is what we have done for the past 12 years and have never had any trouble.

Hope that helps

Lynn

The expiration date of the rabies jab will be shown on the passport. As long as it's in date when you leave France you're fine.

Makes no difference what length jabs other countries give.

Also, I'll say it again, there's no need to have a medical check. It's never been needed and is just an excuse for vets to rip us off more than they already do.

All you need is the worm tablet and passport stamped.

goldi - 2015-01-01 5:07 PM

Afternoon folks,

The dog passport lasts 3 years. If you look at the green stamp in the passport there is date which will tell you.

P s our bundle of trouble needs his renewing in feb which must be his third or fourth.

norm

That is the wrong information YOUR dogs rabies might last 3 years OURS only lasts 2 and as I said it shows you on your own Vet page when it is due either two years or three depending on what was used.

Our own dogs were done at different times so for us one was due in Sept 14 and the other is Oct 15 I wish it was every three years it would give us a break.

The last two vets we used, one in France, one in Belgium, insisted on giving an injection for worms.

They told me it was compulsory in case the dogs were sick and rejected the tablets, even though I had them already. Didn't believe them, but my French isn't good enough to argue.

maggyd - 2015-01-02 9:42 PM

goldi - 2015-01-01 5:07 PM

Afternoon folks,

norm

That is the wrong information YOUR dogs rabies might last 3 years OURS only lasts 2 and as I said it shows you on your own Vet page when it is due either two years or three depending on what was used.

Our own dogs were done at different times so for us one was due in Sept 14 and the other is Oct 15 I wish it was every three years it would give us a break.

Good morning folks,

This is interesting,

Our dog first had the rabies in march 2003 with Rabisan and then every 2 years until 2009 when the medication was changed to canigen which then switched it to every 3 years The vet is virbak animal health. It may be that different treatment last longer or the regulations have changed

In any event the op now knows where to look

norm

Billggski - 2015-01-03 9:39 AM

The last two vets we used, one in France, one in Belgium, insisted on giving an injection for worms.

They told me it was compulsory in case the dogs were sick and rejected the tablets, even though I had them already. Didn't believe them, but my French isn't good enough to argue.

I suspect you were right not to believe them, but you put yourself in their hands when you pick a vet. We've used the same one for a couple of years, well away from the ports, lovely people, not too expensive - and they've been happy to give the dog our worm tablet, embedded in our piece of cheese snack, which gets consummed instantly!

The fact that you have a time window between one and four days before departure for UK makes it much easier to choose a vet when and where convenient.

We go by the date entered in the passport for the jab. The length of cover as defined by DEFRA has changed over the past few years. Our last passport contained an expiry date for the jab of one to two years. (not very helpful). With the last jab the duration was given as 3 years as taken from the information on the medication.

Bottom line is go with what ever expiry date is given in the passport for the Rabies injection. The passport is for entry to the UK, not entry to France.

If you are still not sure phone DEFRA they are very helpful and pleased to answer questions on this issue.

How long your dog's rabies vaccination lasts is dependent on the make of medication given, some are 1, some are 2 and some are 3 years. We used to have 3 years for our dogs but the medication for this length of time was scarce when they were due for re-vaccinating so we had to have 2 year ones. One other thing we were advised by a vet in France is to get a 2 year vaccination anyway (even if it is a 3 year one) simply because over time the resistance lessens and rabies is more prevalent in some areas than others.

As for worming tablets, we bought a 'job lot' of chewable ones from the vet in France last time as they were on offer, enough to last us for a couple of years - this saves us having to worry about getting them as we like to get the ones that cover for a multitude of things some of which aren't catered for in the UK version of the drugs (ie not just basic worming) as they're the new chewable ones the dogs will take without a problem too. We also buy our Advantix in France too as again it covers more nasties than Frontline and is cheaper there than here.

Archived