What are the 'must visit in a motorhome' GB places

Brock

Rayjsj - 2015-01-04 1:23 PM

. Give me natural beauty to the man made kind, every time.

Then you should visit Norway.

As you appreciate the Scottish Highlands and Islands ( as I do ) - you will love it.

( But don't wait too long or the insurance will cost too much ).

;-)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't beat the Shetlands - we are currently planning our third trip this summer having visited in 2009 & 2013.

Yes it's a long, expensive, journey but well worth the cost & effort. But you do need to allow 3+ weeks to appreciate it all.

Phil R

Rayjsj - 2015-01-04 1:23 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-02 12:50 PM

I'd only say to John in response to his "the continent can wait for now" is don't wait too long. ;-)

Why ? is it, or are we, Drifting away ? or are their local Councils getting as vindictive as ours ?

All I can say to you is having spent so many years touring the UK I wished I'd have discovered the delights of vast areas of Europe sooner, as do all of the British motorhome users I've ever spoken to, and all of whom when asked if they still do the UK answer with a resounding no. Perhaps if folk have never ventured down to the Pyrenees, or the Alps, they will never know what they are missing, perhaps ignorance is bliss though for some, what you never known blah blah or perhaps give it a go, who knows you may like it ;-)

But back on topic years ago we did York and Castle Howard, thought that's a place worth a few days.for anyone into a bit of history, and grandeur

Minack Theatre near Penzance, tickets are about £10, open air and if you don't like the play, just admire the view. If a hot day, nip down to the beach for a swim and look at the Telegraph station, history, culture and exercise in a day. :-D

Billggski - 2015-01-02 6:20 PM

By the way, Ireland HAS sorted out it's roads. Motorways run out from Dublin in all directions with tolls of about €3.

Something to do with EU grants I believe.

Brilliant holiday if you can find an offer on the crossing, they drive on the left, speak English, and yet it is very different.

The motorways don't go far and once you are off the main routes the roads are as bad as Belgium.

We used Airmiles for our crossing made it very cheap.

Don't know when you were last there but the M1,6,7,8,9 and11 all fan from Dublin until they meet the Atlantic Ocean.

The N roads are generally very good and the North and South Atlantic Tour routes have been re- surfaced, although often quitte narrow for MH's.

Billggski - 2015-01-04 7:44 PM

Don't know when you were last there but the M1,6,7,8,9 and11 all fan from Dublin until they meet the Atlantic Ocean.

The N roads are generally very good and the North and South Atlantic Tour routes have been re- surfaced, although often quitte narrow for MH's.

A couple of years ago, been 15-20 times over the last 7 or 8 years, last trip was in the Motorhome otherwise working. As I said once you get of the main route road surfaces can be very poor & the Motorways never go where I need to go. Considering the size of the country there are very few Motorway miles.

Guest Had Enough
longtemps - 2015-01-04 9:00 PM

Dover, on the way to France

The OP was quite clear in his request and ended with this: "So we'd welcome any polite suggestions. The continent can wait for now."

Needless to say there's always at least one of the anti-British brigade who has to make a smug little post like this. I'm surprised it took so long.

Thank you all so much. I've taken note of the comments re the Continent and Ireland so we'll have to think about those a bit more carefully.

I've picked up on 35 places to visit. Some places are as simple as Abbotsford Swannery whilst others are a bit more complex like 'the North West of Scotland' or 'Great Little Trains of Wales'. Some can be days out at a pinch such as Much Wenlock and the Black Country museums whilst others involve a trek into unknown areas such as Cornwall and Scottish Islands.

Some will be a chance to return to great places e.g. we last visited Beamish in 1995 as part of our first week away in a motorhome 20 years ago, Pembrokeshire in our earlier caravanning days but not since.

Wonder if my missus will fancy full timing ...

Had Enough - 2015-01-04 11:10 PM

Needless to say there's always at least one of the anti-British brigade who has to make a smug little post like this. I'm surprised it took so long.

And what's wrong with Dover? That it happens to be on one of the routes to France is irrelevant.

Infamous as one of the Cinque Ports designated by Edward the Confessor (1042-66) There's

Ferryboat watching. Museums. The Castle.. Wartime tunnels. Perhaps even watching the traffic in Calais on a fine day.

Either side are the towns of Deal, Sandwich, Winchelsea, Hastings and Rye. All certainly worth a visit.

Will

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2015-01-05 3:12 PM

And what's wrong with Dover? That it happens to be on one of the routes to France is irrelevant.

Infamous as one of the Cinque Ports designated by Edward the Confessor (1042-66) There's

Ferryboat watching. Museums. The Castle.. Wartime tunnels. Perhaps even watching the traffic in Calais on a fine day.

Either side are the towns of Deal, Sandwich, Winchelsea, Hastings and Rye. All certainly worth a visit.

Will

Who said there was anything wrong with Dover? Perhaps you can't work out what he was actually saying? Please try to concentrate there's a good chap.

Anyway, I'll give you a clue: ....."it's on the way to France."

Had Enough - 2015-01-05 3:30 PM

Will

Who said there was anything wrong with Dover? Perhaps you can't work out what he was actually saying? Please try to concentrate there's a good chap.

Well at least the OP has taken on board some comments that did include the continent, as he said

I've taken note of the comments re the Continent and Ireland so we'll have to think about those a bit more carefully,

and for many a chance or deliberate comment does open ones horizons, and if that results in discovering destinations not first thought of can that be such a bad thing, and I'm sure the OP took the comment "Dover on the way to France in a light hearted way, rather than an "anti british" comment, that apparently is alive and well and OK when it comes to the countries of van manufacturers, ;-)

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-05 3:43 PM

Had Enough - 2015-01-05 3:30 PM

Will

Well at least the OP has taken on board some comments that did include the continent, as he said

I've taken note of the comments re the Continent and Ireland so we'll have to think about those a bit more carefully,

and for many a chance or deliberate comment does open ones horizons, and if that results in discovering destinations not first thought of can that be such a bad thing, and I'm sure the OP took the comment "Dover on the way to France in a light hearted way, rather than an "anti british" british comment, that apparently is alive and well and OK when it comes to sources of van manufacturers, or Ebikes

;-)

Another one incapable of reading between the lines! It was a typical snide comment such as many we get from the likes of you.

The OP quite clearly said that he wanted advice about the UK, so why would anyone tell him to go to Dover so he can go to France? Because like you he's anti-British and takes every opportunity to sneer at those who choose to motorhome in the U.K.

And if you can't see that you have a problem! *-) To refresh your mind:

Title: What are the 'must visit in a motorhome' GB places

Content: Looks like the missus and I will have more spare time next year so we want to cross off the places we should have visited in a motorhome in the UK.

So we'd welcome any polite suggestions. The continent can wait for now.

If you can see past your own desire to turn everything into an argument you'll note that nowhere in this thread did I sneer at folk who "do" the UK, I merely said in reply to the OPs comment "the continent can wait for now " don't leave it too long, if that's your definition of sneering it's not mine. I also suggested York and Castle Howard in this thread, a bit more sneering I guess.

But I will acknowledge you're the last one to make snide or unpleasant comments

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-05 3:57 PM

If you can see past your own desire to turn everything into an argument you'll note that nowhere in this thread did I sneer at folk who "do" the UK, I merely said in reply to the OPs comment "the continent can wait for now " don't leave it too long, if that's your definition of sneering it's not mine. I also suggested York and Castle Howard in this thread, a bit more sneering I guess.

Oh, and you've never sneered at those who motorhome in the U.K. ? :D :D :D

Thank you for brightening my day. :D :D :D

This thread is typical of many on here. Someone asks about the UK and some smart Alec tells him to go to Dover for France. Someone asks about satellite TV and some other smart Alec aks him why he'd want to watch TV on holiday, and so it goes, on any subject.

I knew when the thread started that it wouldn't be too long before someone tried imposing their "Britain is rubbish, France is wonderful" viewpoint.

And I'm sorry about arguing. I realise that's something you'd never do. (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Will85 - 2015-01-05 4:32 PM

Frank.

Your a Bully and should be cast into a empty playground devoid of any toys.

Will

A bully? Now that proves that you're really desperate to have a go at me! :D Come on, you can do better than that. How about putting up a cohesive argument to the things I challenged you on rather than just hurling insults. That's what bullies do!

By the way, do you still think that you get PC viruses from mobile phones? ;-)

Anyway, I do hope that you're not going to stalk me now just because I put you right a couple of times. Now that is really childish, and at your age! >:-)

And that's what it's always about with you in thread after thread..............just another argument, cohesive or otherwise, for Gods sake man give it a rest.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-05 5:20 PM

And that's what it's always about with you in thread after thread..............just another argument, cohesive or otherwise, for Gods sake man give it a rest.

I had given it a rest (twice) until you came along stirring things up. For God's sake man, give it a rest. :D

And as for 'thread after thread' have a look at your input in the last few weeks and have a look at mine. ;-)

But I'm sure that others will be as amused as me at this criticism coming from Onefoot/Joe90. >:-)

Had Enough - 2015-01-05 5:24 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-05 5:20 PM

I had given it a rest (twice) until you came along stirring things up. For God's sake man, give it a rest. :D

And as for 'thread after thread' have a look at your input in the last few weeks and have a look at mine. ;-)

But I'm sure that others will be as amused as me at this criticism coming from Onefoot/Joe90. >:-)

Well if any come along that are amused I'm sure they'll say, ;-)

How many will say you've been the slightest bit amusing..........ever actually.

P.S do you want to make a suggestion for the OP to add to my Castle Howard, and York as a "must visit

or does your silly argument take priority over your first post taking someone to task about his flippant comment, no one was arguing about anything until your first "contribution"

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2015-01-05 5:38 PM

P.S do you want to make a suggestion for the OP to add to my Castle Howard, and York as a "must visit

or does your silly argument take priority over your first post taking someone to task about his flippant comment, no one was arguing about anything until your first "contribution"

I knew that you wouldn't be able to stop arguing. For God's sake man, give it a rest. :D

Must go, going out for a bit of culture. ;-)

Had Enough - 2015-01-05 5:55 PM

Joe90 - 2015-01-05 5:38 PM

I knew that you wouldn't be able to stop arguing. For God's sake man, give it a rest. :D

Must go, going out for a bit of culture. ;-)

Well not an argument, just a suggestion, to give it some thought whilst your out having some culture and see if you can come back later to add to my Castle Howard, and York suggestion as a "must visit" for the OP. as yet you've suggested nothing ;-)

Archived