Campervan running costs

highscot

Hi I am a newbie But going to get a campervan in the near future Going to live in it till i pop my clogs Just trying to work out running costs if anybody doing the same thing full time I am up in the Scottish Highlands and am going to travel Scotland for the rest of my life.

Just have no idea of costs going to get a mid sized van 2 or 4 berth max.

Gas cost all year

Average diesel mpg

Average tyres cost

Service Costs

Insurance

I know it will be just a rough idea as everybody is different

Road tax or anything else i have missed would be or great help.

Ronnie

Hi

Wellcome to the forum

I'm sure when you but your MH , you will find that Scotland is amazing, but so is Europe.

Tyers average cost £125-150 each.

Insurance, we pay £350 incl euro recovery.

Economy anything from low 20s to 42mpg for a well driven Van Conversion ( our present 3.8 t does 22-25 mpg with a 3 ltr engine. V6. Manual gearbox. We are downsizing slightly and expect 33mpg average.

I have a Renault van, kitted out as a workshop, same weight as a van conversion, economy for that is 36-42 mpg, if I try. ( for those whom disbelieve, and there will be some, pop round any time)!!!

Service costs , I paid at a merc garage £185 for a full service, excl break fluid replacement.

Gas costs, we use refillable bottles and on average fill up 3-4 times per year £60 perhaps.

Hope this is of some help

Dennis

Re the above thread; applying historic inflation (CPI) 2007 - 2014, to the starting annual budget figure of £12,000, which seemed popular in that 2007 thread, today's equivalent budget would be a shade under £15,000. However, fuel alone will have risen quite a bit faster than general inflation over that period (I doubt the present fall will be long-lasting! :-() and, if travelling abroad, France seems to have been lower over the same period, Germany a little higher than France, and the Euro zone generally a little higher again, but still below UK. This takes no account of exchange rate fluctuations. Someone mentioned a contingency reserve of £2,000 in the 2007 MHF string. Bearing in mind the cost of major parts I think that was unrealistically low then, and woefully so now. Would think £5,000 would be far more realistic. You probably wouldn't need it, but if you did, and you were abroad, could you get hold of the necessary cash on demand?

Can't answer the specific question as there are too many imponderables, but what I would suggest is that for keeping the Motorhome '(ie before you actually travel anywhere) we find there is an annual cost of around £1000, simply for servicing, MOT, Insurance etc.

The rest will obviously depend how many miles you travel, what type of site you stay on, and certainly as far as gas is concerned, if you are heating the van and hot water by gas, then much will depend on where you are going to be - no doubt that would be higher in the north of Scotland than in Spain or somewhere like that! .

You might think of preparing a 'budget based on the known figures for the ;fixed' costs, then trying to ascertain from you own thoughts a degree of the 'unknown' but on assumptions of mileage, daily/monthly site costs etc etc. We always do the latter for out annual trips to the continent, and admittedly now based on many years experience can forecast pretty accurately the likely cost for say 8 or 9 week trip.

highscot - 2015-01-01 9:38 PM

Hi I am a newbie But going to get a campervan in the near future Going to live in it till i pop my clogs Just trying to work out running costs if anybody doing the same thing full time I am up in the Scottish Highlands and am going to travel Scotland for the rest of my life.

Gas cost all year

Average diesel mpg

Average tyres cost

Service Costs

Insurance

I know it will be just a rough idea as everybody is different

Road tax or anything else i have missed would be or great help.

Ronnie

Ronnie, a great Idea, you will need a postal address (relative/friend/postbox) to have mail sent to, and to have your vehicle registered to, Drivers license/ Insurance/Mot as well as banking facilities etc.,

I have no idea of the cost, but it will be cheaper than living in a house. There are Thousands of beautiful places to camp for free in the highlands, all you will need is a water supply, Streams are great but often have a decaying sheep up, out of sight from where you are drawing your water (personal experience !!) and a 'Responsible' place to dump your 'waste'. When you get fed up of the Highlands, there are always the Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland. Good luck, hope to come across you when we are up there. Ray

Guest Peter James
Den - 2015-01-02 1:14 PM

36-42 mpg, if I try. ( for those whom disbelieve, and there will be some, pop round any time)!!!

Whenever people quote mpg figures I wish they would say whether they have checked them properly, and are not just going by the dashboard computer, which is notoriously optimistic.

Guest Peter James

going to get a campervan in the near future Going to live in it till i pop my clogs

Ronnie

Just try it. You might have had enough of it after a week. The highlands and islands have fabulous views in good weather, but even then I find the views are not very sustaining because nothing is happening - you might as well be looking at a photograph.

Peter James - 2015-01-03 9:37 PM

going to get a campervan in the near future Going to live in it till i pop my clogs

Ronnie

Just try it. You might have had enough of it after a week. The highlands and islands have fabulous views in good weather, but even then I find the views are not very sustaining because nothing is happening - you might as well be looking at a photograph.

You have to get out,and get into the Scenery. Some of the finest Countryside in Europe.

It does get cold and bleak in the depths of winter though !

Someone else said they thought the Western Isles were Boring !! perhaps they should stick to a crowded aire in the South of France.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/book-celebrates-beauty-outer-hebrides-2334806

Wait for it to load, then scroll the gallery, yes, Photographs, but of real Places....to go to.

My favourite place in the World, (after Wales). that should draw some 'Flack' :D :D

Ray

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2015-01-03 3:57 PM

I doubt the present fall (in the oil price)will be long-lasting :-()

That seems to be the consensus because shares in the big oil companies have dropped very little compared to the oil price.

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2015-01-03 9:51 PM

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/book-celebrates-beauty-outer-hebrides-2334806

Wait for it to load, then scroll the gallery, yes, Photographs, but of real Places....to go to.

My favourite place in the World, (after Wales). that should draw some 'Flack' :D :D

Ray

Yes but these sort of views are unchanging - you almost might as well look at photographs.

If I had to choose one view as the best I have seen it would be this one of Mevagissey. I can sit and look at it for hours because there is always something moving to see - seagulls... boats... people.....dogs...cars

2022229486_HitlersWalk.jpg.2dc4a66b4ec0b914afcc2c294c495cbe.jpg

Looks a bit like Aberdyfi, but much prefer a crowded aire in the south of France as Rayjsj says

like this one. rammed and unlike Wales, or Scotland not pissing down with rain the whole of our 7 week trip, nor any need to cover yourself in a midge suit from head to foot ;-)

2052560727_AirePyrenees.jpg.f0f388dbb7d05241b3ac16b777e6f899.jpg

Gas cost all year

Average diesel mpg

Average tyres cost

Service Costs

Insurance

Your main priority above everything given what you are intending to do in the location you wish to 'pop your clogs in', is insulation.....and plenty of it. The van you choose will need full winterised body and floor, and all pipes and tanks well insulated.

Next important item is heating and the usual Carver type gas heaters fitted to most Campervans, MH's and Caravans whilst sufficient to meet the needs of the odd cold night here and there will be as much use to you in the depths of a Scottish winter as a candle.

You need a Diesel heater such as Webasto or Eberspacher which are way more efficient. They are NOT cheap though. I was fortunate to have one already fitted in the first Campervan i bought so was spoilt in a way as i expected the Carver heater to be as good.....they aren't! Though expensive to buy, maintenance is simple and minimal as also is the running costs which is much much less than running gas! I would have my Diesel heater on full power for about 10 minutes, then need to turn it down to half as by then the van was actually hot.....and that was in a Camper with zero insulation!

Bottled Calor gas is expensive. In fact any bottled gas is expensive in the UK. All mine is run using Polish bottled gas which is 75% cheaper but that's no use to anyone unless they are going to Poland each year. So your best bet will be refillable such as the Gaslow system. Bottles are not cheap but once installed the gas cost is as you simply have the bottles refilled. No idea how much that is but there will be plenty on here with that system who can tell you.

Average mpg? Depends on the weight of the vehicle. My Campervan weighs around 2.5ton and uses a Ford Transit 2.5TDi engine. Averages around 30-32mpg on a long run at a steady 55-60mph and anyone who tells you they get more than that from the same engine is dreaming or telling you fairy stories.

Tyre costs? Impossible to answer really as it depends on the van you go for. My Campervan is on standard Ford 15" wheels and i paid just over £50 each a couple of years ago for a set of four tyres. Shop around and find a reputable Tyre fitter for the best prices and stay well away from places like Kwik-Fit etc.

Service costs? Pretty much a case of shopping around to find a reputable Garage who do quality work at a fair price. It took me a long time to find one and i've been through all the dross, rip offs, cheats and scammers etc till i found a 100% reliable and trustworthy Garage with a small team of mechanics who now not only MOT my van but do any job as my days of 'mechanics' and crawling under the van are long gone.

Insurance? Spend plenty of time on the phone and the internet!

Guest Peter James
Bulletguy - 2015-01-03 10:47 PM

Next important item is heating and the usual Carver type gas heaters fitted to most Campervans, MH's and Caravans whilst sufficient to meet the needs of the odd cold night here and there will be as much use to you in the depths of a Scottish winter as a candle.

You need a Diesel heater such as Webasto or Eberspacher which are way more efficient. They are NOT cheap though. I was fortunate to have one already fitted in the first Campervan i bought so was spoilt in a way as i expected the Carver heater to be as good.....they aren't! Though expensive to buy, maintenance is simple and minimal as also is the running costs which is much much less than running gas! I would have my Diesel heater on full power for about 10 minutes, then need to turn it down to half as by then the van was actually hot.....and that was in a Camper with zero insulation!

!

My eberspacher diesel heater used to stop working when the outside temperature dropped to about -4C as the diesel was too thick to pump (although the lorry engine always kept working). It was much heavier on the battery than gas because diesel is much harder to light, and diesel has to be pumped, wheras gas flows on its own, and the circulating air has to be pumped as well, wheras some gas heaters work by convection. I don't know about running costs but diesel is heavily taxed, wheras gas is not, so I don't see how gas can be that much more expensive.

According to manufacturers figures, gas heaters can give out as much heat as diesel.

As far as I could see the only advantage over gas was the eberspacher took up much less space in the cab. In theory it didn't need an additional fuel supply as it ran straight off the existing diesel tank. In practice I had to fit a paraffin tank to run it off to stop it waxing up in cold weather - and paraffin is less readily available than gas. The heavy battery consumption was another problem when I was not driving several hours every day.

Guest Peter James
PS. The Eberspacher diesel heater was noisy too - curiously it made more noise outside the cab than inside, so that may have bothered others more than it bothered me :$

Bulletguy - 2015-01-03 10:47 PM...........................You need a Diesel heater such as Webasto or Eberspacher which are way more efficient. They are NOT cheap though. I was fortunate to have one already fitted in the first Campervan i bought so was spoilt in a way as i expected the Carver heater to be as good.....they aren't! Though expensive to buy, maintenance is simple and minimal as also is the running costs which is much much less than running gas! I would have my Diesel heater on full power for about 10 minutes, then need to turn it down to half as by then the van was actually hot.....and that was in a Camper with zero insulation!

Bottled Calor gas is expensive. In fact any bottled gas is expensive in the UK. All mine is run using Polish bottled gas which is 75% cheaper but that's no use to anyone unless they are going to Poland each year. So your best bet will be refillable such as the Gaslow system. Bottles are not cheap but once installed the gas cost is as you simply have the bottles refilled. No idea how much that is but there will be plenty on here with that system who can tell you................

Excellent points. However, be aware that the diesel fired heaters are heavier on 12V than the gas fired variety, so for reliable heating in all weathers I think some solar charging plus additional battery capacity would be desirable. Finding vans with diesel heaters pre-installed will limit choice quite considerably, though.

On gas, I would say a refillable system will be essential. If accepting gas heating, I think as large a tank as practical would probably be preferable. But, if it has to be cylinders a realistically sized gas locker will be required - nothing smaller than will take 2 x 13kg exchange cylinders. Again, this may restrict choice of van. The problem with refillable cylinders is that they do not exchange across national borders, even within the EU area. So rather than having to take out new agreements in whatever country as cylinders empty, and then dispose of the empties, or carry them back to the country where bought - all of which adds to costs with no benefit - refillables/tank seem to me the way to go.

I'm trying to imagine anyone spending day after day in the Scottish highlands especially in the depths of winter with anything other than electric hook up, and electric heating, besides which a hair dryer may come in handy to thaw any water taps that may be provided, sounds like just about the most miserable existence imaginable. :-(

The bloke is proposing to live there full time in a van for the rest of his life, not an odd week, I'd urge him to think again, or go wandering round the Costas which sounds almost as bad, but he'd be unlikely to freeze to death there, besides he may meet the resident forum clown for some company.

Same as Peter ,I can only speak on personal experience of Eberspacher Heaters and Hot water systems. I had a 2005 Autocruise Starlet 2, which had an Eberspacher heater + a calorifier for the hot water. I found it to be a terrific system, VERY reliable ,unlike my present Truma combi 4GE,(which 'Red Lights' and Stops,whenever the 'mood' takes it, mostly in the middle of a freezing night !!) and far lighter, yes, for that reliability you will need twin leisure batteries (which probably negates the weight advantage).

But when your life can quite literally depend on it, I would go for an Eberspacher, and use 'Winter' diesel when the temprature drops, either that or a Woodburner as Joe says, not many trees on the Hebrides though, perhaps a peat burner would be more appropriate !! ;-)

Remember this guy is talking about Scotland and the Highlands,NOT Europe. have any of you been there in the depths of winter ? I love the place, but would hesitate at spending whole winters in the Highlands in a Motohome.

Personally I would migrate south for the winter,Dumfries and Galloway perhaps, similar wilderness, but without the extreme weather.

If the choice was wandering around the Costa's I'd probably 'pop my clogs' early, my idea of hell on earth. Ray

Peter James - 2015-01-04 11:48 AM

PS. The Eberspacher diesel heater was noisy too - curiously it made more noise outside the cab than inside, so that may have bothered others more than it bothered me :$

They should have been fitted with a silencer, on the flexible stainless steel exhaust, some didn't have it.

if they didn't yes,they were noisy. probably wouldn't matter in the Highlands on a Wild camping pitch though. ;-) Ray

PS. Recomendation for a suitable Van, for a Single Guy (not a couple or a family) Autosleeper Topaz,

been made for many years, so plenty of 2nd hand one's about, Reliable VW T5 Base, Eberspacher heating fitted as standard.

Small enough to get away with Wild camping, if you get a 'camoflauge' colour, all facilities aboard, Shower, cooker etc., might need a bit of extra DIY insulation for the Highlands in mid-winter, but it could work.

Joe90 - 2015-01-04 1:37 PM

An Autosleeper Topaz to live in for the rest of your life, mmmm. Perhaps an old Winnebago :-)

Try parking an old Winnebago, or driving it for that matter, in the Highlands, AND it would stick out like a 'Dogs Dixx' when you try to Wild camp. suppose you could alway spray it ' Heather Green'.?

Living in a small space, is an aquired art. Of course it sends some 'Around the bend'.

But have you ever seen a 'Black House', not much space there either.

And a good cure for 'cabin fever' is a brisk walk in the Cuillins !!

Ray

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2015-01-04 12:39 PM

But when your life can quite literally depend on it, I would go for an Eberspacher, and use 'Winter' diesel when the temprature drops

Well I wouldn't stake my life on any heater, and certainly not an Eberspacher diesel after my past experience with them. The problem I had is the fuel supply pipe is so narrow the only fuel that would flow through it was paraffin when it was really cold. I prefer to take enough clothes to survive without heating if necessary. Including 4 pairs of Primark XXL jogging trousers - flexible enough to fit over each other so I can wear them all at once. Shoes 2 sizes too big so I can wear several pairs of socks. XXL coats to go on top of other coats etc

Archived