Campervan running costs

highscot

I had an Eberspecher on my Duetto. It was noisy and failed to work as soon as the leisure battery voltage dropped. If the original poster relied on an Eberspecher in Scotland in mid winter then he would freeze. Spain was mentioned tongue in cheek by an earlier poster but that could well be the cheapest option given the cost of bottled gas unless of course he gets an lpg tank fitted.

Ditto above

I had one on a Trigano, it was useless, and cost me an arm and a leg to have it de-coked and serviced, was glad to see the back of it, and the van, given the choice, a bog standard gas convector every time, no worries about failing batteries either, and freezing to death, which most seem to be overlooking if the guy wants to wild it, or live in it full time in a largely grey and cold climate, the less demand for power the better AFAIC.

Joe90 - 2015-01-03 11:08 PM

I'd put a wood burner in. ;-) If not the bloke may pop his clogs sooner than he thinks, ;-)

Actually this is not nearly as batty as some may think. During my travels i've met two people who did just this and one couple were actually 'fulltiming'. They had bought an old coach fitted it out themselves and installed a full size woodburner. The others with a woodburner were a retired German couple i met in Poland who had owned their van for 30 years. It was a large Mercedes ex-commercial van and the husband had worked as a Joiner.....which showed throughout the van which they were more than happy to show me inside. All the fittings were solid wood and beautifully finished. Forget your top of the range Hymers, Burstners etc.....the quality this guy had turned out was simply amazing.

Regards the Diesel heaters, i was lucky as mine was already installed. I don't think the previous owner knew anything about them as he'd not mentioned it in his advert and he never mentioned it when i went to look the van over.....which was when i spotted it. Quite dramatic on 'start up' it used to sound like a jet engine bursting into life! But once up to temp it quietened down and you only knew it was still running by the light on the control. The van got hot very very quickly.

That the OP intends spending his time entirely in Scotland, or at least the UK, maybe a Gaslow system would be the way to go. Anyone know how much the refills are here in UK?

Regards freezing weather etc....spare a thought for folk living in Norilsk where it's currently -48c.....yes 48c below freezing!

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/russia/norilsk

Live Cams here; http://www.alltravels.com/russia/krasnoyarskiy/norilsk/webcams-195201

There is / was a forum user on here who had put a wood burner in, and we had a bloke living around here with a cobbled together self build old luton van, with one he'd made out of a gas cylinder, with a twin wall flue through the roof , but judging from the smoke sometimes belching out I guess he was using coal, or old tyres, he stuck it out in the van for one winter, he now has a brand new centrally heated flat courtesy of our local housing association. :D And his old van went down the scrappers. ;-)

Archived