Van conversion TV's

Pipkim

We are considering downsizing from a coachbuilt to a van conversion.

We have seen a few that we think would suit and they have a half dinette at the front with beds at the rear.

One of us sits in the passenger swivel seat & the other on the half dinette so that we are facing each other.

The only logical place for a TV that we can both see at the same time, appears to be in the sliding doorway and this would obviously get in the way of accessing in & out of the van. I have yet to see any conversions with this type of set up.

We have been spoiled with our current van as the TV folding down from the roof panel and can be swivelled into the correct position.

Any comments / advice would be gratefully received.

PilgrimPhil

I'd personally widen your search criteria to include conversions that utilise both front seats that swivel to face the habitation side, given the layout below you could use either end of the van for lounging / watching TV.

layout.jpg.2828ab0b2a0c6d6bd0f948f47c4d99af.jpg

Many people use the wall behind dinette seat for mounting the tv and use both front seats.

A bracket could be fashioned to drop down and swing in front of galley top cupboard, but not sure of the practicalities of this as might still have to dodge around it and tv would be subject to steam from cooking.

We have the tv mounted in the bedroom, did use to carry a second small tv around for use in the dinette but it was only used once or twice so don't bother now.

Afternoon folks,

On our previous adria twin there was panel on the washroom wall to fix the telly ,and then you are meant to utilise the front seats, swivelled. What we do is stand it on the worktop and I use the front seats and mrs goldi use the dinette seats, we do not always want the tely in the van anyway so this suits us. our is a german telly called a dyon which is 19 ". hope this assists.

norm

Our Autocruise Accent has one bracket on the dinette wall, which we view from the two swivel cab seats, and another in the rear lounge/bedroom.

Both have connections to the aerial.

We also have a Sky+ box, which is kept in a locker under one of the sofas in the rear. We have a powered HDMI splitter and cables routed to both brackets and a magic eye for the remote positioned so the box can be operated from the rear or front.

Our dinette table has an extra section that swivels out from underneath, so we can both use it from the cab seats.

Generally though, we eat at the table in the rear lounge, only using the dinette if we're travelling and leaving the bed made up.

Thanks for all your comments & advice.

The problem that I have is that the our relative seating locations within the van are non-negotiable!!

Plus the half dinette at the front & single beds at the back is the same and is our preferred layout - giving us two separate areas.

The option of having some sort of folding/drop down bracket above the door might work. Also we have no real issue with it being located over the hob as that isn't use very much at all.

I note in the Feb edition of MMM that David Chapman has a drop down TV on Page 148. Any thoughts on what make/type that is?

Phil R

Archived