Concorde owners

Mad Cow

We have a deluxe steering wheel for a Charisma 2008 at home which is like new and wondered if this was of interest to anyone? It has Concorde badge in the middle and bought it a couple of years ago when changing from the Iveco one that was on it. We changed again about a year ago to a removable one so it is surplus to requirements now. I am not sure whether this would fit other models though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s also the CASHMART option

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Sell-My-Accessories

If your Concorde Charisma was built on an Iveco Daily chassis, I would have thought that its standard steering-wheel should be suitable for any other similar-vintage Iveco Daily-based motorhome. If the removable replacement wheel you bought was intended for a Daily (rather than specifically for a Concorde) it’s a fair bet that the wheel you wish to dispose of would be OK for any 2008-ish Daily.

Will85 - 2015-01-04 10:22 AM

A spare steering wheel. I'm puzzled that such an important part exists, and to be passed around ?

Will

Is this component adaptable to other base vehicles? I'm thinking that fitting a Concorde steering wheel to the sort of vehicle driven by members of the MH community who live in ageing and well-worn DIY conversions could help to boost their self esteem. *-)

Looking at on-line photos of 2008-ish Concorde Charismas, it looks like the standard Iveco steering-wheel may incorporate an air-bag, but not the (very snazzy) Concorde special wheel. If that’s so and your redundant steering-wheel is the non-air-bag type, it might be wise to mention this when advertising it.

StuartO - 2015-01-04 2:39 PM

A spare steering wheel. I'm puzzled that such an important part exists, and to be passed around ?

Will

Is this component adaptable to other base vehicles? I'm thinking that fitting a Concorde steering wheel to the sort of vehicle driven by members of the MH community who live in ageing and well-worn DIY conversions could help to boost their self esteem. *-)

Pelmetman..........Where are you?. (lol)

peter - 2015-01-05 6:39 PM

Will

Never mind, I did manage to get a bite from Mad Cow. (It was supposed to be tongue in cheek rather than an attempt to start a Class War!)

An air-bag steering-wheel was available for 2008 ‘commercial’ Iveco Daily vehicles, but photos show that this had “AIRBAG” moulded into the centre section.

Having looked again at Concorde photos on the Southdowns Motorcaravans website, I see that the standard Charisma steering-wheel did not carry the “AIRBAG” marking, so (as you say) won’t have had an air-bag.

It was fairly common for the standard specification of A-class motorhomes (even expensive ones) to omit air-bags, as cab-seats, windows and windscreen changes meant that the safety testing that had been carried out by the base-vehicle manufacturer might not apply to the post-conversion motorhome.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-01-05 6:49 PM

peter - 2015-01-05 6:39 PM

Will

Never mind, I did manage to get a bite from Mad Cow. (It was supposed to be tongue in cheek rather than an attempt to start a Class War!)

Horace was top of the Autohomes range when he was built ;-) .............

So the DIY gibe can't be aimed at me? :D .............

Neither do I lack self esteem....... indeed some folk on here probably think I have too much >:-).........

Maybe that's why I don't need a flash camper to impress folk :->............

pelmetman - 2015-01-06 9:35 AM

../cropped/.....

But if as you say, it was "top of the range", then surely, as you were given it when it was only 18 months or so old, it would have still been considered as being one of these "flash campers", that you are always so keen to deride?...*-)

'Holiday, keeping you busy then?...... ;-)

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2015-01-06 10:27 AM

pelmetman - 2015-01-06 9:35 AM

../cropped/.....

But if as you say, it was "top of the range", then surely, as you were given it when it was only 18 months or so old, it would have still been considered as being one of these "flash campers", that you are always so keen to deride?...*-)

'Holiday, keeping you busy then?...... ;-)

25 years ago this hobby had a very different demographic Pepe ;-) ...........Campervans weren't seen as social statements *-) ...............As their names implied they were for traveling in.........ie Autosleeper, Autohomes, Travelhome etc.........

I see in this months MMM Elddis have now got a range called "Envy" *-) ............

Talk about straight out of the "keeping up with the Jones" marketing manual (lol)..............

But to many,YOUR van would have been seen as "flash" when you were first given it and as you would've only been in your, what, early-mid thirties( ?) it would've been interesting to hear what "demographic" people thought that YOU fitted into.?.

(.."flash, spoilt young poseur.." maybe? ;-) )

So in short, YOU could have been one of the very people that you now ridicule.

..and all this "25 years ago" lark, (and your,quote; "Back in the day" era, that you mention in a previous thread), would've only been the 1990s..!?

..and please, don't keep trying to make out that the '90s were some kind of golden era of MHing and campervaning...with it's unfettered freedoms and it's open roads beckoning etc.. *-)

Re: Model names

I agree the "Envy" in an unfortunate and somewhat distasteful name...but they've also used Firestorm and I don't for one minute think they expected anyone to fire bomb Dresden! :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2015-01-06 12:43 PM

But to many,YOUR van would have been seen as "flash" when you were first given it and as you would've only been in your, what, early-mid thirties( ?) it would've been interesting to hear what "demographic" people thought that YOU fitted into.?.

..and all this "25 years ago" lark, (and your,quote; "Back in the day" era, that you mention in a previous thread), would've only been the 1990s..!?

..and please, don't keep trying to make out that the '90s were some kind of golden era of MHing and campervaning...with it's unfettered freedoms and it's open roads beckoning etc.. *-)

I agree the "Envy" in an unfortunate and somewhat distasteful name...but they've also used Firestorm and I don't for one minute think they expected anyone to fire bomb Dresden! :-S

Campers were not seen as aspiration'l vehicles back then....... as they were quite rare and still the domain of the more independent minded traveler, besides in those days package holiday was the choice of the poseur :D ..........

Furthermore I don't remember needing to book up a year ahead for CC sites in the 90's ;-) ..............neither do I recall the plethora of height barriers that prevent us from parking in many places in the UK *-) ..........

As for the name "envy".............its just a sign of the times ;-) .............If I was really pretentious I'd call my camper the behemoth (lol) .............

pelmetman - 2015-01-06 1:54 PM

a) Campers were not seen as aspiration'l vehicles back then.......

b)Furthermore I don't remember needing to book up a year ahead for CC sites in the 90's ;-)

a) I dare say a "Top of the range" coach-built probably was.(*unless of cause you were lucky enough to be given a newly new one?).

*Could you hazard a guess as to how much your "Top of the range" (yet supposedly, non-aspirational.) coach built would have cost when you gained possession of it? :-S

b)So, probably no different from your Spanish pitch, in that respect then, eh? (you know, the one you looked to book nearly a year ago.... ).

That's just what happens when things become popular and available to more people,,and surely that's a good thing? (..you can't be surprised to find that others like a similar pastime to you?..or is just that it's no longer "exclusive" enough for an "independently minded traveller" like yourself ?.. ;-))

As for the tiresome subject of height barriers and parking restrictions, etc, once again, they will be partially the result of massive increase in traffic levels, increased demand and, unfortunately, the selfish conduct of some...

pepe63 - 2015-01-06 12:43 PM

Campers were not seen as aspiration'l vehicles back then....... as they were quite rare and still the domain of the more independent minded traveler, besides in those days package holiday was the choice of the poseur :D ..........

Furthermore I don't remember needing to book up a year ahead for CC sites in the 90's ;-) ..............neither do I recall the plethora of height barriers that prevent us from parking in many places in the UK *-) ..........

As for the name "envy".............its just a sign of the times ;-) .............If I was really pretentious I'd call my camper the best mobile scrapyard in Lincolnshire (lol) .............

:D *-)

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2015-01-06 9:00 PM

As for the name "envy".............its just a sign of the times ;-) .............If I was really pretentious I'd call my camper the best mobile scrapyard in Lincolnshire (lol) .............

:D *-)

Correction Peter ;-) ............

Calpe B-) ........

P1010206.JPG.1a272762df7153168b2cbb045a5b8b6e.JPG

P1010201.JPG.970518817d4a6787fcafd14bd0486c2a.JPG

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2015-01-06 4:08 PM

a) Campers were not seen as aspiration'l vehicles back then.......

b)Furthermore I don't remember needing to book up a year ahead for CC sites in the 90's ;-)

a) I dare say a "Top of the range" coach-built probably was.(*unless of cause you were lucky enough to be given a newly new one?).

*Could you hazard a guess as to how much your "Top of the range" (yet supposedly, non-aspirational.) coach built would have cost when you gained possession of it? :-S

b)So, probably no different from your Spanish pitch, in that respect then, eh? (you know, the one you looked to book nearly a year ago.... ).

That's just what happens when things become popular and available to more people,,and surely that's a good thing? (..you can't be surprised to find that others like a similar pastime to you?..or is just that it's no longer "exclusive" enough for an "independently minded traveller" like yourself ?.. ;-))

As for the tiresome subject of height barriers and parking restrictions, etc, once again, they will be partially the result of massive increase in traffic levels, increased demand and, unfortunately, the selfish conduct of some...

a) As I said earlier campers were much less common, and the average man in the street wouldn't have had any idea how much they cost, so not much use for impressing the Jones's, but at least now they'II be writing "Envy" on the side so folk will have more of a clue ;-) ...............

b) That's my point, because its become popular, the essence of the hobby has changed :-| ..........no longer do we have the "freedom" to just clear off in the van at the spur of the moment, and if you want to go anywhere vaguely popular in the UK then booking months ahead is becoming essential *-) .........

c) Height barriers are not necessary, just enforcement of the regulations, but that's typical of the authorities approach to personal freedom *-) .........

d) Also aires will never happen in the UK like they do abroad, because there are to many vested interests from the likes of the CC and private campsite owners to ever allow it ;-).........

Guest pelmetman
LordThornber - 2015-01-07 9:19 AM

Is it reasonable Dave to suggest that your enjoyment and/or pursuit (your words) of thrift, is equal to A. N. Others enjoyment/pursuit of keeping up with the Jones '?

Martyn

Good point Martyn ;-) ...............but which is more morally acceptable? :-S ...........at least thrift equals a greener alternative to consumerism B-) ...................and once we have consumed everything..........what then? 8-) ............

Archived