Slippery Van Roof!

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James
Just washed the van roof for the first time and was surprised how slippery the roof becomes when covered in soapy water 8-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-01-03 6:04 PM

Could be useful if you fall off as well - so you can call the ambulance when you come round! :-D

What an optimist :-D You are forgetting Sods Law. If you fall off the roof you will undoubtedly land on it. Much better to have the phone tied to a Helium balloon which is attached to you by a bit of string. :D

I finally used the 'Gardex' protector, that I was given with a van i bought from Brownhills in Swindon, van long since exchanged.

It seems to be working well, i washed the van with the Gardex wash/wax, then just sponged on the protector, This was three weeks before Christmas, the van (and the car) are still shedding water, as if just waxed, and all the dirt comes off with just a fresh water wash down.

I don't climb on the roof anymore, since i nearly come a 'cropper' and only just saved myself, from going off head first. I use an extending wash broom, 'one hand for the job, one hand for me'.

Ray

PS. NO WAY would i pay the exorbitant amount they ask for a Treatment with Gardex when buying a van,

my small bottles were complimentary.

Guest Peter James
I had the step ladder tied to a roof rack mounting lug, but was wearing waterproof plastic trousers to kneel on the wet roof which probably makes it even more slippery when you put soap down. I think if the van roof had been sloping at all I would have slid off.

Stopped climbing on the roof a few years ago ago after one or two slippery moments - then resorted to bottom half of extendable ladder propped a gainst the side with some foam behind, which again is not ideal from a safety aspect... Then Last year I remembered that I have a scaffold tower left over from my new house build a couple of years a go

Now I realise that not everyone has one of these, but they are brilliant because you just move it around the van and is well worth the time taken to erect and dismantle

Remember the old song 'Don't fall off the roof dad you'll make a hole in the yard'

FreD

Ruby(Exsis) - 2015-01-03 11:38 PM

Stopped climbing on the roof a few years ago ago after one or two slippery moments - then resorted to bottom half of extendable ladder propped a gainst the side with some foam behind, which again is not ideal from a safety aspect...

FreD

The key to ladder safety, IMHO, is to never have to lean around or sideways off the ladder to reach the area that you want to work upon.

I used to use a 4.5 metre ladder and had some hilarious(!) moments leaning one way with a leg outstretched in t'other to act as a counterbalance.

Since buying a short extendable double ladder (a Lyte ELT225) I can set the ladder to extend no more than 6" above the roof and can lean in safely directly over the top of it. Famous last words and all that..

I thought I was the only wuss. I hate it up there, tried to lean over the sloping front to wash it and just felt I was starting to slip. I imagined I would be like Tom in one of those Tom and Jerry cartoons, sliding down the window and onto the bonnet, finally the concrete. So I haven't been up there since.

Bin there done that but in my case I was polishing a caravan roof that sloped to a point at the apex. All was going well untill I noticed I'd missed a bit of polish so I lay on the roof and gently slid off in dreadful slow motion! Fortunly the landing went well and no damage was done.

Hi folks, please go back and read my posting headed Disaster, posted just before xmas.

I was doing just what you have been talking about, and am still recovering from 5 broken ribs, broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade,, and punctured lung. Van suffered broken headlight, and misaligned nearside wing mirror.

as a result, 3 days in hospital, and at least 6 weeks to mend, then phisio to get things working properly again

if you live nearby, then try the local valet service based just outside Ringwood on Salisbury road..I will be in the future

flying without wings or parachute is fine, but the sudden stop at the bottom hurts!!!!.

tonyg3nwl

Archived