Norway Ferries

mikejkay

I am currently in the initial stages of planning a trip to Norway, hoping to get as far north as possible. Probably go via Dover/Calais and then Denmark to Kristiansand. From there by road to Bergen. To get further north I was hopng to do coastal hops by boat and use the m.h. to drive loops inland around fjords. Has anyone done this or, if anyone has been to Norway recently, can they tell me if it is possible and/or ludicrously expensive. The last time that I drove in Norway was on my Honeymoon, back in the Stone Age *-) .

I'm looking at Norway for next year (though destinations may be a little different to yours). It would be our fourth visit.

Whilst ferry fares are not extortionate, by far the best value is for a vehicle no longer than 6m. Going up to 7m will generally cost something between two and 3 times as much.

So, for a 7m vehicle with two people, a short (15 min) hop may cost in the order of, say, £20 (and say £3 per extra metre above).

This is only by way of example, fares do vary.

Most of the information is readily available on-line, and the following page gives a good way in to the various ferry firms.

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/getting-here-and-around/ferries-and-ships/

Robinhood - 2015-01-03 6:45 PM

Going up to 7m will generally cost something between two and 3 times as much.

Thamks for the info. I have just gone from 5.99m to 6.99m. I knew that the cost of ferries in Norway increases significantly for vehicles over 6m in length so I shall just have to bite the bullet :-S . At least a 6.99m allows me to carry more food. Food was horrendously expensive even 40+ years ago!

I was looking into going from Bergen to Trondheim by ferry but information on such a trip with a m.h. by ferry seems to be thin on the ground. Any other tips?

mikejkay - 2015-01-03 6:27 PM

The last time that I drove in Norway was on my Honeymoon, back in the Stone Age *-) .

Me too

First time I went to Norway was in 1971 and spent three weeks on gravel roads.

Went again a few years back and found they now have ( mostly ) Tarmac roads.

If you dodge all those inland areas surely you will be missing all the best scenery ?

;-)

malc d - 2015-01-03 7:29 PM

The last time that I drove in Norway was on my Honeymoon, back in the Stone Age *-) .

If you dodge all those inland areas surely you will be missing all the best scenery ?

;-)

I don't know :-) my memories are very hazy, and I now can't remember where my photos were taken! Any recommendations welcome. Can't miss the fjords :-D

mikejkay - 2015-01-03 7:10 PM

I was looking into going from Bergen to Trondheim by ferry .....

...presumably in a number of hops? (Otherwise it's probably the Hurtigrute boat you need ;-))

It's entirely viable - we did Bergen to the Vesteralen islands last time, via Trondheim, using a mix of ferries and roads (though we invariably got charged the 6m rate for a 6m 'van with a bike rack on the back).

You'll be best searching out a route by referring to the various ferry crossings,timetables and prices that can be accessed (indirectly) from the link I've posted. You'll then be able to assess the viability and cost (some are infrequent, some are effectively a shuttle service, and (AFAIK) many/most of them are still not pre-bookable).

There are also a good few toll road sections which are not easily by-passed. Unless your use is such that it is uneconomic to collect you will get billed on return to the UK, unless you pre-register your vehicle - details and credit card as detailed here:

http://www.autopass.no/en/visitors-payment

Note that, as usual there is a 3.5t break point.

I personally would probably recommend Flåm (though it's very different to my first visit over 30 years ago), Geiranger, Ålesund, The Trollstiggen, etc. but if you're into scenery, then the majority of the journey will be good.

We have been to the North Cape 4 times and used most combinations of route, including driving via Germany, Denmark and Sweden. I personally would not bother with the ferry from Denmark, it's just extra cost and would drive through Denmark to Sweden and then up to the North Cape via Sweden. Sweden is significantly cheaper for fuel than Norway and does not have any road tolls. Use the RV45 all the way and have an easy run north.

We did most of our sightseeing on the return run through Norway and especially recommended is the 7 ferry route down the coast from Bødo to Trondheim. It is true that above 6 metres you do pay much more on ferries, tunnels and bridges, but I believe that the tunnel to the North Cape (located on Magerøya island) is now paid for and thus free.

Food we found was only about 15% dearer than in the UK, but alcohol is at least twice the UK price.

If you do get to the North Cape, remember it is not the northernmost point. The furthest north is Knivskjellodden and you have to walk from a small car park off the final road to the North Cape. On production of proof of reaching Knivskjellodden you can apply for a certificate (got one).

One statistic worth bearing in mind, is that you have about a 1 in 10 chance of seeing the midnight sun at the North Cape (it can be a cloudy place).

Two photos of our 2008 trip shown below, one of the North Cape globe and one looking towards the Cape from Knivskjellodden

northcape1.JPG.b5e995c249cf6bf1217ce3e4cb811a40.JPG

ncfkso.jpg.e5347677b640a35b2590a8d64e9bfa4e.jpg

Steve928 - 2015-01-03 8:16 PM

At least a 6.99m allows me to carry more food.

I'm fairly sure that payload isn't dependant upon vehicle length..

Surprisingly, I had 300kg to spare with my 5.99m Chausson Flash S2 fully loaded. Came across a weighbridge at a scottish ferry terminal in the summer. :D

spospe - 2015-01-03 8:25 PM

the 7 ferry route down the coast from Bødo to Trondheim.

Can you expand on this bit? It sounds very much the sort of information that I am after. I presume that I could make the trip in reverse? Is it possible to get off at individual stops and go on a day or two later? Operator? Cost? Sorry to be a pain.

Steve928 - 2015-01-03 8:16 PM

At least a 6.99m allows me to carry more food.

I'm fairly sure that payload isn't dependant upon vehicle length..

Apologies for the OT, but it is indirectly linked. The longer the vehicle, the higher its unladen weight will be, on a like for like basis. So, for any given MAM, the longer the vehicle, the lower the payload.

mikejkay - 2015-01-03 7:48 PM

malc d - 2015-01-03 7:29 PM

;-)

I don't know :-) my memories are very hazy, and I now can't remember where my photos were taken! Any recommendations welcome. Can't miss the fjords :-D

Well I reckon these falls are worth a visit.

They are the Tvinde Falls - near. Voss - which is on route E16, not far from Bergen.

There was a small campsite next to it - where the noise kept us awake most of the night .

( For a bit of scale, that's me, just about visible, at the base of the falls).

Also on the E16 is the longest road tunnel in the world - 15 miles - which is an experience.

;-)

falls5.jpg.4c3d001f2c68e47f85100c845bd603a8.jpg

mikejkay - 2015-01-03 9:38 PM

spospe - 2015-01-03 8:25 PM

the 7 ferry route down the coast from Bødo to Trondheim.

Can you expand on this bit? It sounds very much the sort of information that I am after. I presume that I could make the trip in reverse? Is it possible to get off at individual stops and go on a day or two later? Operator? Cost? Sorry to be a pain.

Have a look at:

http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/where-to-go-uk/central/kystriksveien/

and it will give you an outline of the route and what can be seen.

You cross the Arctic Circle on the ferry from Kilboghamm to Jektvik (which takes about 1 hour). We found the ferries excellent and really not expensive (we were under 6 metres).

You pay for each ferry individually, so there is no problem at all in stopping off as you wish. The journey times vary from about 10 minutes to over an hour. There is a coffee bar on just about all ferries in Norway, apart from the very shortest crossings and the second cup is usually half-price. The trip can be done is either direction (it is not one route, it is a collection of up to 7 ferry crossings that you can string together).

Below is a view of the Arctic Circle marker, taken from the ferry.

Best advice is to get a good guide book to Norway which will alert you to all of the worthwhile things to see.

DSCF2791a.jpg.e25267dc1b8bb5fc61a9d7e5489d4f43.jpg

Another point to consider is that the exchange rate is quite good at the moment, with something like 11.6 NOK to the £. This is considerably batter than it was in 2008, when it was down to about 8 to the £ and is getting close to what it was in 2001 and 2002 when we first started going there.

The obvious benefit of the good exchange rate will be to make costs, especially food more bearable and my current estimate is that you should not expect overall to pay more than about 10-15% more than in the UK. Stay out of restaurants and do not buy alcohol and you will have as cheap a trip as possible (much better if your van is under 6 metres).

I am currently in the initial stages of planning a trip to Norway, hoping to get as far north as possible. Probably go via Dover/Calais and then Denmark to Kristiansand. From there by road to Bergen. To get further north I was hopng to do coastal hops by boat and use the m.h. to drive loops inland around fjords. Has anyone done this or, if anyone has been to Norway recently, can they tell me if it is possible and/or ludicrously expensive. The last time that I drove in Norway was on my Honeymoon, back in the Stone Age *-) .

Hi

We went 2013. Dover Calais, up to Denmark, over bridge to Malmo, up Swedish coast via Stockholm to finish border, then up to Norway and the Lofotens Island, then headed south down the Norway coast. Ended up at Malmo and back over the bridge. About 8 weeks in total.

Ferrys easy albeit we had three on one day, all very slick.

Be aware, there are some toll roads, including the ocean road if I remember correctly, and the odd ferrywhere you have to have an account and they charge you from the reg number. Again a slick system, I registered before I went, put on 300 kroner, topped it up once when value was close to zero. Three months after I arrived home they refunded the remaining balance.

Also the normal camping carnet you use in France is not recognised in Scandinavia. I purchased one of theirs at the Malmo campsite which insists on them. Not all campsites insist but when they use them it's dead easy as they swipe the card and your details come up so booking in is fast.

We used the Scandinavian aires book from vicarious books, lots of places in marinas which are often good with showers for a reasonable price. Also lots of camping in car parks next to fjord completely on our own.

A great trip. Decided when we were at Narvick that we did not have time to get to North Cape as so many other places I really wanted to stop at. My house insurance only covers 60 days away and we just sneaked back inside that.

Enjoy the trip. We shall go back as still lots to see. Some great walking and I went running in stunning scenery.

We have booked ferry to Iceland for this year.

Peter

peterjl - 2015-01-04 5:57 PM

Peter

SNAP!!!

When are you going?

We depart Hirtshals on the 16th June and arrive back there on the 14th July. We've got a full 21 days on Iceland!

I went with a friend on a fly/coach/camping trip many years ago and can't wait to get back.

Keith.

Keithl - 2015-01-04 7:23 PM

peterjl - 2015-01-04 5:57 PM

Peter

SNAP!!!

When are you going?

We depart Hirtshals on the 16th June and arrive back there on the 14th July. We've got a full 21 days on Iceland!

Ugh

I went with a friend on a fly/coach/camping trip many years ago and can't wait to get back.

Keith.

SNAP and SNAP again.

We leave 16th June and go direct to Iceland with a stop at Faroes on the way back.

I will PM you

Peter

. Can't miss the fjords :-D

Hi Mike; I'm sure you'll see plenty of scenery and fjords, whichever way you travel. We were in Norway and Sweden in May/June 2014, and had a great time.

I would, however check on the location of the 15 major "Tourist Routes" that are currently being upgraded. I won't be rushing back until they are finished; it was not a very pleasant driving experience; loads of tour coaches, in both directions on very narrow roads.

Ferries were very good both as a means of covering lots of distance, and as cruise ships on the fjords. We didn't book ahead and just turned up; it's what the locals do. Road charges are reasonable, and our final bill came 2 months after we got back.

I had been trying to organize a bobsleigh run at Lillehammer for a couple of years, without success; but just turned up and had the experience of a lifetime! ( I would book in advance if I go again) 1"05.76", fantastic . Ok it was a wheelbob, but beggars can't be choosers.

Enjoy your trip

regards

alan b

. Can't miss the fjords :-D

Hi Mike; I'm sure you'll see plenty of scenery and fjords, whichever way you travel. We were in Norway and Sweden in May/June 2014, and had a great time.

I would, however check on the location of the 15 major "Tourist Routes" that are currently being upgraded. I won't be rushing back until they are finished; it was not a very pleasant driving experience; loads of tour coaches, in both directions on very narrow roads.

Ferries were very good both as a means of covering lots of distance, and as cruise ships on the fjords. We didn't book ahead and just turned up; it's what the locals do. Road charges are reasonable, and our final bill came 2 months after we got back.

I had been trying to organize a bobsleigh run at Lillehammer for a couple of years, without success; but just turned up and had the experience of a lifetime! ( I would book in advance if I go again) 1"05.76", fantastic . Ok it was a wheelbob, but beggars can't be choosers.

Enjoy your trip

regards

alan b

Hello everyone. We too are planning a trip to Norway this year entering from Denmark. I've looked at the customs information about importing foodstuffs, no importation of potatoes apparently! Can anyone advise on how strict customs are with food and particularly alcohol. (No, I don't intend to import potatoes and am willing to pay import duty if necessary.)

Thanks

silverbike - 2015-01-05 8:08 PM

Hello everyone. We too are planning a trip to Norway this year entering from Denmark. I've looked at the customs information about importing foodstuffs, no importation of potatoes apparently! Can anyone advise on how strict customs are with food and particularly alcohol. (No, I don't intend to import potatoes and am willing to pay import duty if necessary.)

Thanks

Never been stopped or queried, never entered from Denmark, always from either the UK, or Sweden.

Archived